Drafting Zeke was football stupid

Lutonio

Reaction score
To be fair, who expected THIS?

I never thought he would be a bust, but I have to admit it has been awesome to watch him play for the team this year.

I was leaning Ramsey at the time. I guess I've seen too many early RBs that don't pan out.

Good job, Cowboys

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
So football stupid that we claimed the #1 seed

I bet we wouldn't have to play the super bowl at all because we would win by default if we had bosa or Ramsey :rolleyes:

haleyrules

Reaction score
Heck, l thought Elliott was a great pick. The Cowboys needed a running game to make the offense work. Getting Prescott in the 4th was the real shocker! Didn't see him coming and at the time of the draft thought the Cowboys should pick a QB with the first pick. That didn't work out...but the Elliott pick was also very wise and important.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still open.

It's probably because there's no one to argue with. Everyone who thought drafting Zeke was football stupid took off long ago. Can't recall a thread where more posters ended up being embarrassed. It's a wonder the OP didn't terminate his account. This thread is the perfect example of what can happen to those who live in the moment.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So football stupid that we claimed the #1 seed

So football stupid that Zeke is not only leading the league in rushing but is a candidate for league MVP. Never seen a thread blow up in more faces than this one.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Heck, l thought Elliott was a great pick. The Cowboys needed a running game to make the offense work. Getting Prescott in the 4th was the real shocker! Didn't see him coming and at the time of the draft thought the Cowboys should pick a QB with the first pick. That didn't work out...but the Elliott pick was also very wise and important.

You certainly didn't think the Elliott pick was a great pick after week one because you passed out a "like" to this post. :cool:

It was a dumb tactical move, no doubt. The whole offseason was perplexing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Once a players blows up like Zeke has, the logic behind the pick goes out the window.
Peoplecan argue all they want from various povs, but no denying....
He's been a monster!
My guess that even the OP would agree with that.
It is all in hind-site now. Everyones an expert drafter in hind-site.
It is fun looking back years later to see how drafts worked out.
Just glad Dallas reaped the benefits:flagwave:
So far, so good!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One of the posters who passed out a "like" to the OP has the username "Common Sense." :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Can't see how anyone could have thought drafting Zeke was football stupid. Me and many others argued prior to the draft how adding a great back could get us back to the success we had in 2014 because the back matters. I had no doubt a great back would blow away the production McFadden had last season. Even Dak has doubled the rushing TD's McFadden scored last year. We only had 8 rushing TD's last season which put a lot of pressure on our QBs. We have 20 rushing TD's this season after 14 games. That shows we're in imposing our will on defenses which is what we were doing in 2014 when we had 16 rushing TD's. A great running game that can produce not only yards and TD's takes a lot of pressure off your QB but many on this board couldn't see that. They convinced themselves that McFadden had a great year and one FAN who's consumed by stats claimed our running game was better last year than in 2014. LOL

There wasn't a defensive player worth taking at #4 overall who wouldn't have been a big gamble and anyone who has an ounce of insight and closely watches this team, it was obvious a great back would make a huge impact. Zeke has scored 14 TD's rushing/receiving, so it's not just his 1902 total yards but the fact his yards have led to TD's that have helped us win games. Some didn't think it was a big deal that McFadden only scored 3 TD's with all the touches he had, which further showed the lack of insight into the game of many who post on this board. There was no doubt in my mind barring injury Zeke would have a great year and we would have a solid season IF Dak could come close to playing as well in the regular season as he did in preseason.

You pair a great back who has great speed and power with arguably the best OL in the league, great things are bound to happen. Any average back could have produced what McFadden did last season but it takes a great back to produce some of the plays Zeke has produced this season. It was easy to gage from his college tape the immense talent he had over McFadden. If you want to be a great team you need great players but some here were satisfied with an average back. This thread was a classic over reaction by a fan who didn't like the pick and was living in the moment off a disappointing loss. Some of the most ridiculous threads/comments have been made immediately after losses due to knee jerking. As ridiculous as this thread looks now, the most classic over reaction thread ever posted was this one, that was also started immediately after our opening day loss. Surprisingly the OP still comes around and posts. lol

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/season-is-over.356308/

Sportsdude360

Reaction score
As we sit 0-1 after one week there will be tons of consternation and angst.

Twill is still not very savvy, we still don't move Dez around to get him open, the defense still can't get stops when it counts. All legit.

But my biggest gripe is the issue which I think matters most long-term: Front Office.

This team looks just about ready to tank again for the 2nd year in a row. If it does the coaching staff doesn't matter because they'll all be gone. TWill is gone regardless imho. We will be drafting mostly defense for a couple seasons.

My biggest issue is the guys in charge of building for the 5 year and 10 year plans. I have solidly supported Will McClay and Stephen Jones. Now I am left scratching my head.

We looked to be doing so very well in the front office decision-making area. But the gambles on guys haven't paid off and the best decision we have made (letting Demarco Murray walk and repalcing him for nickels) was confusingly destroyed by using a top 5 pick and 5m a year at RB one year later. That was quite simply a stupid decision. Epically stupid. Basically insane and ignorant of this past decade of NFL football.

And last Sunday was a prime example. Let's say we win the game 22-20 after a good Dak drive and great Bailey kick.... It STILL would have been a really stupid football move.

Why? Alfred Morris who is making peanuts was the best RB Sunday.
Why part 2? With the game on the line we had to PASS the ball and we used Lance Dunbar at RB.
Why part 3? This team wins games on late Tony Romo drives. We KNOW that. He leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks.

RBs are not consistent over long periods so you get one, find his best form, ride him tilt he wheels fall off, rinse and repeat. You do NOT spend big money 1. because then you can't pay everyone else: See Minnesota. 2. they do not last and it cost to move on: See Demarco to Philly and virtually every other FA back that makes over 5m per year.
But the biggest cardinal sin of all is you DO NOT DRAFT RB top 5.
You do NOT win that way.
No one has in forever.
Todd Gurley is a true stud but the Rams are atrocious garbage dumpsters on offense.

You can not outsmart NFL history. Doesn't work that way.

Dallas over-committed resources to arguably the least critical position on the offense. (we played 3 players at the position on Sunday)
And we are about 5 players short on the roster.
All because we drafted druggies or wasted picks. --Gregory, J. Smith, Lawrence all recent high opicks and all absent.

And with the best ammunition we've had in over a decade we drafted a gosh dang RB.....
We looks real pretty wearing cut off shirts and all but he is a RB and he means little to overall success.
You do not run to win in the NFL. You run to keep people honest.
And if you are going to run to win, you need the best defense in football.
We have one of the worst.
The front office plan makes zero sense.
And that worries me because Jerry is just a figurehead with regards to personnel but Stephen is here for the long haul.

:lmao:

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
My first pick would have been Bosa to help stabilize our DL. Zeke was my second pick. It worked out great for the Cowboys.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
I went on a rant after the week 1 loss. I screamed and yelled about the vanilla offense, typical plays, etc.

Luckily, my walls don't tell on me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Go check out the preseason prediction thread from September.

Prediction threads always have posts where fans miss the mark by a mile but a thread claiming drafting one of the elite players in the draft at a position of need was football stupid sticks out like a sore thumb. There's no excuse for anyone to be as off the mark on Zeke as this thread was. I knew when I first saw this thread after the opener it was going to end up a classic FAIL and would come back to haunt the OP and everyone who agreed with it. lol Anyone with a clue should have figured pairing a great back with this OL was going to lead to fireworks if Zeke stays healthy.

The problem with many here is they felt the OL makes the back and that any decent back could look great behind. We found out last season that wasn't the case but some convinced themselves McFadden had a great year and were satisfied with it. It was a no brainer Zeke would thrive behind our OL.