Draftniks - early looksie at Dallas draft

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
I hope all the other teams think just like you do, then Hicks will still be there when we pick....at #32 :)

:star:
Hicks isn't even Tech's best WR.
In fact he is probably only the 3rd best behind Filani and Robert Johnson.
I am fairly certian both of those guys are better NFL prospects as both are faster.

Hicks is a junior and I don't see him coming out. He was disciplined earlier in the year and is currently 4th on the team in receptions.

He would have to run a blazing 40 to move updraft boards and he isn't considered a burner by any means.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Had an eye on a couple safeties yesterday. Watkins didn't impress me and Blue is definitely more of a SS than a coverage guy. How is Huff against the run?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
How is Huff against the run?......excellent.....as someone said he's a ball hawk. Huff is an excellent tackler.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Writeup by Pete Fiutak

Who is Michael Huff? ... It's never a bad thing to have too many athletic defensive backs, and it's even better when you have defensive backs versatile enough to play several positions. That's what the Texas coaching staff likes to do with its DBs giving the stars some time at safety first before putting them on the corner island to face everyone's top receivers. San Diego Charger millionaire Quentin Jammer was the best example becoming an All-America corner after spending time as a big hitting safety.

The transition isn't going to be so easy for 6-1, 200-pound junior Michael Huff. Handling the corner job isn't the issue, but moving him from safety, where he's so valuable, is. Playing strong safety last year, he made 66 tackles and two interceptions showing the strength by becoming an intimidating hitter and the speed and athleticism to be deadly in coverage. When he gets the ball in his hands, it's all over as all four of his career interceptions have been returned for touchdowns.

A few years ago it was Jammer who was star of the secondary. Last year it was Nathan Vasher. Now it'll be Huff's time to shine as an All-Big XII caliber player no matter where he ends up. If he plays safety, he'll combine with budding star Phillip Geiggar to form one of the nation's deadliest tandems. If he plays corner, his size and speed will take out just about everyone's number one receiver. No matter where he plays, it'll be every quarterback's first priority to make sure they know where number seven is first.
Huff's best game so far was ... in the 2002 50-20 win over Texas A&M. Huff solidified his place on Freshman All-America teams with his best game of the year making a career-high 11 tackles with a tackle for loss against the Aggies. He also picked off a pass and took it for a touchdown.

Why you should care about Michael Huff ... He hasn't received a ton of press, but he has as much talent and ability as any defensive back in the country. While Phillip Geiggar is certainly a strong player, Huff is going to have to be a leader of a relatively young Longhorn secondary. If he comes through with another big season, he'll have the option to leave early and become very rich at either corner or safety at the next level.

Positives about Huff ... Obviously his versatility. It's a luxury to have a player as big as Huff is at corner much less to have one that athletic at safety. He's a good one-on-one open-field hitter able make the big stick when needed. It's always scary for opposing offensive coordinators when they have to think about a defensive back that scored on all four career interceptions. He's fast running a 10.46 in the 100 meters in high school.

Negatives about Huff ... Is he a jack-of-all-trades, master of none? There are some players that are natural corners and others who need time to learn the job. Quentin Jammer was able to simply outslug his way against college receivers, but he struggled out of the gate in the NFL when he was going up against players as physical as he was. Huff was a bit more comfortable right away at corner playing mostly there as a redshirt freshman, but pro scouts are going to wonder where to play him and where he fits in best.

A cool thing about Huff that you probably didn't know ... His nickname is Huff Daddy.

Career statistics
2003: 66 tackles, four tackles for loss, six broken up passes, two interceptions, two touchdowns
2002: 70 tackles, ten tackles for loss, ten broken up passes, two interceptions, two touchdowns

Thanks to Texas for all the tidbits

VACowboy

Reaction score
On the Virginia guys: Ahmad Brooks would be my dream pick in the 2006 draft. His injury rreally wasn't an "injury." He had a cyst behind his knee that was removed. He's legit 6-4, up to 259 and still one of the fastest players on the team. He's a beast of an ILB, in all phases. He's not the only stud in the Virginia linebacking corps, though. Kai Parham plays strong side ILB in Groh's 3-4. He's big and fast, 6-3, 253. He leads the team in tackles and the ACC in sacks with 7.5. Kwakou Robinson came to VA as a heralded DE. He kind of disappointed at the position so Groh moved him to NT, which his size allowed him to to (6-4, 328). He's never especially impressed me. He was suspended from the GA Tech game for breaking team rules.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Thanks, Cbz. Huff sounds like what I envision to be a true FS. Is he a first or second round prospect?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Thanks, Cbz. Huff sounds like what I envision to be a true FS. Is he a first or second round prospect?

I would doubt he makes it out of the first round. I would say late 1st early 2nd.

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Florida State.

I like Laron Landry of LSU myself.

I like Landry too. Did you see him knock the stuffing out of Brodie Coyle of Alabama, ala, Roy Williams style. He also is good at covering.

MRTRIPOD

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Im thinking we are trading out of the first too. Instead of getting a 2nd, 3rd and late pick we get a 2nd,4th and a 1st next year.

2a. Chad Jackson WR UF
2b. Mike Huff FS- UT
3. Max-Jean Gilles, OG, Georgia
4. Matt Bernstein, FB, Wisconsin My favorite pick in this draft
5. Chijioke Oyenegeche, CB, Oklahoma
6. OG/OT depth
7. Dline depth/Developmental QB.
I also think we will chase after either Chris Hope or Will Demps.

CHAD JACKSON will be a STEAL!

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
I'll repost my Bye-Week Boredom Dream Mock, since it was buried in Sports Zone:

First Round: Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State- Also love Huff but I'm projecting any and every "son of a former player/coach" as a future Cowboy until Parcells stops picking them. This one's a no-brainer. He's projected as a high second rounder but I'm planning on picking late so it's not much of a reach... :D

Second Round: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado- I watched this moose leave everything on the field even as the Buffs got rolled by Texas. He'll win the Mackey award and he sounds like a guy Parcells would draft.

Third Round: Dwayne Slay, FS, Texas Tech- Monster-sized FS (6,3, 215) who covers very well. After watching him dominate last week, did some research and found out he's also a feared headhunter on special teams. Money.

Fourth Round: Jovon Bouknight, WR, Wyoming- My sleeper. Exciting playmaker flying under the radar in the putrid Mountain West conference. Former HS QB, deadly on reverses, puts up biggest numbers against major-school competition. Excellent kick returner and appears to be a very solid character. Sounds like Crayton and could be a similar find.

Nothing like quoting myself..

I see Dwayne Slay broke into Kiper's Top 25 Big Board this week. Dude is riding my coattails. Stay tuned for Jovon Bouknight to break into the middle of his Top 25 WR list once he stops phoning it in and cues up some tape.