Drew Henson=Chad Hutchinson

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Getting a chance to live up to your moniker, go get them.;)

LOL BZ its to the point the Skins trolls won't even reply to me anymore :(

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Henson is never going to amount to anything, the more important question is what exactly is Romo going to become, i seriously have my doubts about him as well.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Drew Henson a shoot guard? That would be a really interest story...

A New York Yankee 3rd Baseman to Dallas Cowboy Quarterback to Los Angelos Lakers back-up shooting guard...

visionary

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
As I accurately predicted........the Henson haters are having a field day today. You guys need to look at all the facts and accept the truth Henson is very rusty. It's going to take some time. Maybe the entire NFLE season. Judging him now isn't being fair to him anymore than judging a rookie after his first pro game.

:signmast:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Honestly these two reminds me of each other... Only thing is Chad Hutchinson arm is stronger than Henson.. Henson has more mobility..
Chad has more accracy...

but both are bums...a wannabe Troy Aikman and a wannabe Tom Brady.... they need not to quit their Day Jobs in the MLB...Major League Baseball...

No doubt he had a disappointing first effort, and no doubt if he doesn't pick his game up real quick, it will spell the end of his career... but it's asinine to label him a "bum" off of one game...

Then again, you snarl about just about everything, don't you??

The one thing I was struck with watching the game was how the coach of the Fire has an offensive game play that makes Parcells look like a riverboat gambler; did the Fire EVER throw the ball on first down?? I cut away from the end of the game to catch the TO press conference in its entirety on ESPNews (I was bored witless by the game at that point anyway), but by the time the fourth quarter rolled around, *I* pretty much knew when the Fire was gonna run, and when they were gonna pass...

When I left the game, Tom Crowder hadn't been much of a factor, catching 1 pass for 5 yards... did he do anything at the end of the game??

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Hutchinson would have been sacked five times and fumbled three if he was in that game in Henson's place. Awful field hindered both teams' passing games.

There are a number of excuses that could be made for Drew, but it's undeniable that he threw several passes that were nowhere near their intended target...

One thing I did like was his mobility inside the pocket, though... he had a few plays where he got the ball off in the face of a pretty fierce rush...

I do wonder why the Fire coach let Chang throw the ball 13 times in one quarter, but only had Drew throw the ball 11 times in three quarters...

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Brady Quinn next year, book it

you want to trade up for him? unless Quinn has a absolutly horrible year he is a top ten lock

ghst187

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
You are not serious are you? I guess you are, but I do not say any way possible Dallas could get their hands on Brady Quinn. Not that I hope you are wrong, because he is going to be the real deal.

If he is the real deal as everyone thinks he is, I dont see Dallas )drafting somewhere between 20-32) having enough ammo to get Brady.

where there is a will (and JJ's pocketbook) there is a way.
If we fill enough needs this year, we may set ourselves up so we don't need that much next year. And getting a franchise guy like Quinn would be worth giving up 6 draft picks IMO. Esp so if we're in great shape next year cap wise and can sign a few FAs.
Who knows, we may even trade down and get an extra pick or two for next year's draft.
I agree, I think we'll draft at the bottom next year and Quinn will probably go top 3, but some of those top 5 teams will be taking QBs this year or signing them in FA and EVERYONE is willing to deal if the deal is good enough.
IMO, there hasn't been a QB this can't miss since P Manning. I think Quinn will follow a similar progression to C Palmer.
Isn't a franchise QB like that worth about any price?
I was hoping that Henson would get it done, but its not looking so good. Those 3 years in baseball must have really done a number on him.

jcollins28

Reaction score
All the more reason to draft another QB named Drew in this years draft. Drew Olsen that is from UCLA. He should be able to be had for a 6th rounder from what I'm hearing.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545432

Sunday, April 27, 2003
Updated: February 10, 7:03 PM ET

Texans draft former Michigan QB
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK -- Despite the adamancy of Drew Henson that he will continue a foundering baseball career and doesn't plan to pursue football as an option, the Houston Texans on Sunday gambled that he just might change his mind, and selected the former Michigan quarterback in the sixth round of the NFL draft.

"I mean, why not, given where we were?" said Houston general manager Charley Casserly. "You never know what might happen. We own his rights now for a year and our attitude was, 'Hey, let's see what happens,' and we felt it was well worth making the move."

Indeed, there is very little risk involved for the Texans, who will tender to Henson the rookie minimum qualifying offer of $225,000 to retain his rights up until the 2004 draft. Nor did the Texans invest much in terms of draft pick compensation, since they used just the 192nd choice to select Henson, and with a supplemental pick, no less.

But choosing Henson and convincing him to abandon his baseball career in the New York Yankees system are two dramatically different things. Only a week ago, both Henson and his representatives at IMG told ESPN.com that the onetime Wolverines starter had no designs on the NFL, and preferred that teams did not use a draft choice this weekend to acquire his rights.

And on Sunday afternoon, shortly after the Texans exercised the sixth-round pick on Henson, who is currently playing third base for the Yankees' triple-A affiliate in Columbus, Ohio, Tom Condon reiterated his client's stance.

"He's a baseball player," Condon said. "Period. End of story."

Said Henson, 23, last week: "I guess that, until I'm playing third base in Yankees Stadium and in the lineup every day, this is always going to be an issue. But the truth is, football just isn't in my plans, and the questions are starting to get a little old. I'm not a quitter. I'm following through with baseball. This is what I want to be doing. This is my focus."

As of Saturday, Henson was hitting just .167 with an on-base percentage of .257 through 20 games. He had just 11 hits in 66 at-bats, with three doubles, three home runs and six RBIs. Henson had struck out 19 times. In his 128 games at Columbus last season, he hit just .240, with 18 home runs and 65 RBIs, and struck out 151 times in 471 plate appearances.

There have been rumors that Yankees owner George Steinbrenner might be ready to abandon the Henson experiment, but that would be a pretty costly proposition. The club signed Henson to a six-year, $17 million contract in 2001 and there are four years remaining on that deal.

ESPN.com has learned Henson is scheduled to make salaries of $2 million (in 2003), $2.2 million (2004), $3.8 million (2005) and $6 million (2006). Almost as significant as those amounts is the fact they are all guaranteed. And the first addendum clause in Henson's contract precludes him from playing football while still the Yankees' property.

When they signed him, New York officials mentally targeted 2003 as the year they felt he would take over the Yankees' third base job, but clearly that has not been the case. No one in the organization is going to project now when Henson might advance full-time to the major league level.

This was the first year in which Henson, whose college resume included 24 touchdown passes and only seven interceptions, was automatically eligible for the NFL draft. Prior to this draft, he would have had to petition for an early entry exemption, and never chose to do so.

If he does not sign a Texans deal, Henson would go back into the 2004 draft. In 2005, he would no longer be subject to draft rules and could sign with the team of his choice. It is similar to what Dallas quarterback Chad Hutchinson experienced after a four-year fling as a pitcher in the St. Louis Cardinals system.

Hutchinson signed with the Cowboys for last season and received a $3.1 million signing bonus.

Most scouts surveyed in the past weeks assess that Henson is a better prospect than Hutchinson. They add that it is difficult to evaluate him since he has spent the two-plus years away from the gridiron. But officials from two teams, neither of them the Texans, conceded to ESPN.com last week they had had internal discussions about choosing Henson with a late-round choice in this draft.

Fitting a contract into a team's rookie pool, though, is a tricky maneuver, acknowledged Ken Kremer, another of Henson's agents. And that is why the odds seemed to have shifted against Henson being chosen this year.

"He's got three years left on his (Yankees) contract after this season," said Kremer, "and essentially, that is guaranteed money. So a team that drafted him would have to make it worth his while financially to walk away from that. With the constraints of the rookie pool, that would be tough to do.

"But the more important thing is that he really wants to make it work in baseball. His goal is to be the Yankees' third baseman and that's always uppermost in his mind."

Houston already has David Carr, the first overall choice in the '02 draft, as its starter. The Texans also selected Dave Ragone of Louisville in the third round on Saturday evening. The club also has a pair of journeyman veterans in Tony Banks and Mike Quinn on its current roster.

But given the lack of risk involved with Sunday's gambit, Casserly clearly felt that taking Henson was at least worth the effort.

"Had he completed his college career, he certainly would have been a first-round choice, maybe top 10 or even top five," Casserly said. "Look, things change, and people change their minds every day. We just figured that we had nothing to lose on this."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Reaction score
It's too early to say anything about Henson give him his time before you bury the guy but His time is coming where he has to show something