DT Khalen Saunders

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
If we can get him in 4th round it’d be a dream. 3rd round would actually be good too

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm looking at tons of mocks and listened to the Cowboys show I'm scared we might be out of S by the time we pick. Do you actually reach for a DT, or do you fill another position even if it's a guy who isn't going to start but will be a big time contributor 2020? I like Saunders but that might be a reach but we could look to trade back take him there, go get Hooker in round 3, and try to find a development guy FS like Tell in the 4th?

What do you guys think.
At the draft position DAL is in they may have to get a little earlier than his projection, but I know DT is a serious matter for them, so 58 may be fine.

I'm not a fan of trading up due to insufficient draft picks, but if they like a guy (starter) go get him. Otherwise, I like Will Harris at SS and would be ok with him at 90.

Beaker42

Reaction score
So would you go Saunders at 58, and lets say Hooker with a trade up using one of your 4th's in the 3rd?
I’d go S at 58 assuming one we want is there then Saunders at 90, a CB we like with our 1st 4th then BPA with our 2nd 4th, maybe double dip at DT w/ Mack or a RB.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I’d go S at 58 assuming one we want is there then Saunders at 90, a CB we like with our 1st 4th then BPA with our 2nd 4th, maybe double dip at DT w/ Mack or a RB.

If you go back a few post we are discussing Saunders based on the possibility that all the S are gone by pick 58.

I'd be fine w/ that.

58: Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois
82: Amani Hooker S Iowa (Traded 90 and 136 to move up with the Titans)
128: Marvel Tell S/ CB USC
165: Dexter Williams RB Notre Dame
241: Chris Westry CB Kentucky

How would you feel about this?

kskboys

Reaction score
If you go back a few post we are discussing Saunders based on the possibility that all the S are gone by pick 58.

I'm not a huge Tell fan due to his inconsistent play, but I'd be OK taking a shot at him that late in the draft.

You think Dexter will still be there? Man, w/ his impressive Senior Bowl performance, I doubt if he makes it past the 3rd, and I wouldn't b shocked at all if he went late first or 2nd. Of course, he has a myriad of off field issues. You think he's over them? Tough one.

Westry: I know nothing about him. At this stage of the draft, you look for projects and guys w/ the physical traits to succeed. How's his lateral agility, burst, and mirroring skills?

Beaker42

Reaction score

That’d be an above-average draft.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Tell fan due to his inconsistent play, but I'd be OK taking a shot at him that late in the draft.

You think Dexter will still be there? Man, w/ his impressive Senior Bowl performance, I doubt if he makes it past the 3rd, and I wouldn't b shocked at all if he went late first or 2nd. Of course, he has a myriad of off field issues. You think he's over them? Tough one.

Westry: I know nothing about him. At this stage of the draft, you look for projects and guys w/ the physical traits to succeed. How's his lateral agility, burst, and mirroring skills?

Westry I am not sure about TBH, but the Cowboys are looking at him.

You got to acknowledge the situation as well. Most people outside of the USC don't realize how bad things are there, and I think players draft stock is hurting. USC is one of the worst coached teams in the nation their combined talent ratings was 3rd in the nation behind Alabama, and Georgia but yet they went 5-7 last year. Clancy Pendergrast (DC) coaching scheme doesn't fit the college model of spread offenses and Clay Helton (HC) runs a soft practice hardly any real game scrimmages and not much full tackle practices. These kids are not prepared for the games and with that they make mistakes.

As far as Tell goes he has the talent he can hit, has great range, and can make plays on the ball. He has angle issues, and he looks for the big hit but with coaching those are things that can be corrected. Teams are looking at him at CB as well and he is someone that would fit Kris Richards prototype in a DB and what the Cowboys look for in versatile DB. Kris Richard was a Grad Assistant at USC under Pete Carrol and at Seattle they definitely looked at USC players.

Tell has a lot of work to do, but he has big boom potential based on where he will be drafted.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'd be fine w/ that.

Cmon K! We want a DT that can anchor and effect the run.

Saunders can barely hold the POC against lower level competition.

I see him as a nickel rusher Collins type which I’m sick of.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cmon K! We want a DT that can anchor and effect the run.

Saunders can barely hold the POC against lower level competition.

I see him as a nickel rusher Collins type which I’m sick of.
I was really wanting Daylon Mack or Dontavius Russell type in the 5th-7th, but we never go that way, so I've almost given up.

Last year, Settle in the 4th would have completely transformed this D.