DT Osa Odighizuwa wins PFF Player of the Week in Cowboys win

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/18/cowboys-osa-odighizuwa-week-6-award/

At face value, a 17-point yield on defense isn’t much to get excited about. The Cowboys defense held their first two opponents in 2023 to 10 total points. And after getting embarrassed on national television against the 49ers in Week 5, they needed a dominate effort to repair their tarnished image.

A closer look showed it truly was the dominant performance the Cowboys were searching for. While the constant penalties made things needlessly difficult, some of that can be attributed to a flag-happy officiating crew and some overzealous individuals. When it counted, players came up huge and one of those players who posted an absolutely ernormous day was third-year DT, Osa Odighizuwa.

Odighizuwa has been the Cowboys top DT all season, but in Week 6, he posted arguably his best game of the year. He clocked a hit and five hurries in 33 pass rush snaps, earning him Pro Football Focus’s top grade of the game and Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Odighizuwa now ranks No. 6 amongst DTs. He’s in the NFL’s top tier in pass rush wins from the interior defensive line and a big reason opposing offenses can’t devote all resources to stopping Dallas’ onslaught of EDGE rushers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Risen,

Is Osa still “not a good starter”?

Asking for a friend….
Osa is a good starter and probably the best we're going to get with our approach to the position. My contention is that the ideal is having a great one at that position because it makes the defense go. Knowing this, the Cowboys haven't really done a good job of finding that catalyst at the position. We've mainly tried with third-round picks, although we did throw a second into the wind by taking a shot with Trysten Hill.

I was very pleased that we were willing to spend a first on a DT this year, although we took a risk on Mazi being able to develop into more than just a nose tackle. We'll see how that goes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Osa is a good starter and probably the best we're going to get with our approach to the position. My contention is that the ideal is having a great one at that position because it makes the defense go. Knowing this, the Cowboys haven't really done a good job of finding that catalyst at the position. We've mainly tried with third-round picks, although we did throw a second into the wind by taking a shot with Trysten Hill.

I was very pleased that we were willing to spend a first on a DT this year, although we took a risk on Mazi being able to develop into more than just a nose tackle. We'll see how that goes.
Just between us guys, I wouldn't seek investment stock from your corporation...

Ken

Reaction score
O'Diggy has been balling out. Think we have him for another year before his contract is up. Going to be tough to keep him.
If he keeps playing like this, they will keep him.

Only way we don't is if we make all of these trades for washed up RBs that everyone keeps insisting that we do lol

Ken

Reaction score

Osa is playing at a pro bowl level right now. I expect it will continue because he is doing it every game.

I honestly thought we would get this from him last year but I was a year early in that prediction.