DT Osa Odighizuwa wins PFF Player of the Week in Cowboys win

Jarntt

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/18/cowboys-osa-odighizuwa-week-6-award/

At face value, a 17-point yield on defense isn’t much to get excited about. The Cowboys defense held their first two opponents in 2023 to 10 total points. And after getting embarrassed on national television against the 49ers in Week 5, they needed a dominate effort to repair their tarnished image.

A closer look showed it truly was the dominant performance the Cowboys were searching for. While the constant penalties made things needlessly difficult, some of that can be attributed to a flag-happy officiating crew and some overzealous individuals. When it counted, players came up huge and one of those players who posted an absolutely ernormous day was third-year DT, Osa Odighizuwa.

Odighizuwa has been the Cowboys top DT all season, but in Week 6, he posted arguably his best game of the year. He clocked a hit and five hurries in 33 pass rush snaps, earning him Pro Football Focus’s top grade of the game and Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Odighizuwa now ranks No. 6 amongst DTs. He’s in the NFL’s top tier in pass rush wins from the interior defensive line and a big reason opposing offenses can’t devote all resources to stopping Dallas’ onslaught of EDGE rushers.
awesome to hear. Thanks for posting

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Osa is playing at a pro bowl level right now. I expect it will continue because he is doing it every game.

I honestly thought we would get this from him last year but I was a year early in that prediction.
Don't know on pro bowl level. There are six DTs with more sacks than him and more than that with the same number of sacks as him. Several of those DTs also have as many (or more) tackles as him. He turns in a double-digit-sack season from the interior, then we can talk. Yes, I know that the position is about more than sacks, but when we're talking Pro Bowls/All Pro, sacks are generally a prerequisite.

Let me make it clear that I like Osa and hope he continues developing to be that 3-tech that we need. I just don't like our approach to addressing possibly the No. 1 position in the version of the 4-3 we use. If we had not found a major disruptive force in Micah Parsons to make this defense go instead, I think we still might be looking at 3-tech as undermanned.

Last edited:

Eddie

Reaction score
Wow, it's been awhile since we have a dominant player at DT.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/18/cowboys-osa-odighizuwa-week-6-award/

At face value, a 17-point yield on defense isn’t much to get excited about. The Cowboys defense held their first two opponents in 2023 to 10 total points. And after getting embarrassed on national television against the 49ers in Week 5, they needed a dominate effort to repair their tarnished image.

A closer look showed it truly was the dominant performance the Cowboys were searching for. While the constant penalties made things needlessly difficult, some of that can be attributed to a flag-happy officiating crew and some overzealous individuals. When it counted, players came up huge and one of those players who posted an absolutely ernormous day was third-year DT, Osa Odighizuwa.

Odighizuwa has been the Cowboys top DT all season, but in Week 6, he posted arguably his best game of the year. He clocked a hit and five hurries in 33 pass rush snaps, earning him Pro Football Focus’s top grade of the game and Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Odighizuwa now ranks No. 6 amongst DTs. He’s in the NFL’s top tier in pass rush wins from the interior defensive line and a big reason opposing offenses can’t devote all resources to stopping Dallas’ onslaught of EDGE rushers.
Osa is only 25 years old. Parsons and Osa should be a nice inside/outside combo for several years. Hopefully Mazi develops into what everyone is hoping for as well to clog up the middle.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Diggy! I get so excited when he makes a play. He goes about his business quietly and professionally. I love it.
In Sounds from the Sidelines someone said "if you watch Pollard's feet you'll lose your own" and Diggy said "Huh?" It was so funny.

Reactions: CWR

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Overpay according to jealous fans who don't think NFL players should make as much as they do, sure. He will get market value as all good players do.
Lol, he will get overpaid the same way we overpayed for Steele, Jaylon Smith, Tyron Crawford. See its not fair market when they lock these guys up in mid-end contract. Free agent, yes thats fair market but not when they resign them prior.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not to rain on the Osa parade because he has been playing pretty well this season but anybody else think Lawrence might be able to put on 10 pounds and extend his career as a 3-tech and rotational end? Dude is just a menace in there against guards and centers.. Your better tackles can keep him off the QB but not many guards can stay in front of him and he's so smart when reading the run keys he blows up the opponent's inside run game if they come his way and sometimes even when they try to run away from him.

shabazz

Reaction score
This is great news for a young man that had to live in the shadow of the crime his father committed.

Excellent to see him recast the family name in a positive new direction.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not to rain on the Osa parade because he has been playing pretty well this season but anybody else think Lawrence might be able to put on 10 pounds and extend his career as a 3-tech and rotational end? Dude is just a menace in there against guards and centers.. Your better tackles can keep him off the QB but not many guards can stay in front of him and he's so smart when reading the run keys he blows up the opponent's inside run game if they come his way and sometimes even when they try to run away from him.
So you think DLaw could play the Tyrone Crawford role ?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you think DLaw could play the Tyrone Crawford role ?
Yes I do.. but at a slightly higher level. D Law is more athletic, craftier and more disruptive especially against the run though I think Crawford was probably stronger. Crawford was never as quick as D-Law so when HE played inside while being undersized it always got him hurt and run over. That's why it was essential for him to be at 285-ish playing inside and down to 265 when playing outside. I think D-Law could play both inside and outside at about 270 and be good at either.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Odighizuwa is in his third year. DT's take more time to develop at this level than other defensive positions.

Something to keep in mind for fans writing off Mazi Smith six games into his career.