DT, SS, or ILB with our first pick?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Just wondering what people would take with our first pick, assuming no trade up, if they were running things.

For S&G, include O-line if you prefer.

Naturally, you would go BPA if one jumps out as far superior to the others. But assume for a minute they are all roughly the same.

I would go ILB simply because we have literally no one else to play there and I don't offhand know of any good FAs we could put there. I think we're in real trouble there. (I'm not a Burnett believer if you can't tell.)

I can see DE, though, by the "planet theory" that you go with big talent first. But I think that sometimes teams use that kind of thinking to reach on big underachievers at around this point. And in our case, Olshansky is IMO a reasonable possibility.

I'd go SS last, probably, because I tend to think that S is the easiest hole to fill on the defense.

What do you think?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I just think the ILB's that will be left by the time we pick at 51 will be reaches. Mckillop,Phillips,Brinkley are all reaches and belong with our 3rd rounder. The top ILB's will all be gone..Rey,Cushing,Laurenitis.

So based on not reaching, I would go best value and pick Ron Brace to anchor that 3-4 for years to come. Move Rat on over to get some more 1-on-1's against guards.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it really depends on who is there, our roster is shaped up so that we can take the BPA

we also have some needs though

like ILB, DE, so they have to take precedent of course

but we also need a slot receiver who can totally free himself from coverage, a LT to start grooming as Flozell's replacement, a NT to split reps with Rat, probably a safety if they cut Roy

it really just depends on who is there

RamziD

Reaction score
DT, because good NTs that can play in the 3-4 are hard to find. Plus, we can get Ratliff to play DE more which will cover up some of our lack of depth in that area. Just like on offense, everything starts with good line-play.

DT - reasons listed above
SS - we need someone who can actually tackle b/c Hamlin (and every other SS on our roster) can't... offenses are taking advantage of this in a big way
ILB - we still have James, Thomas, and Burnett... not spectacular, but not as immediate a need as the other 2 positions.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2650657 said:
I just think the ILB's that will be left by the time we pick at 51 will be reaches. Mckillop,Phillips,Brinkley are all reaches and belong with our 3rd rounder. The top ILB's will all be gone..Rey,Cushing,Laurenitis.

So based on not reaching, I would go best value and pick Ron Brace to anchor that 3-4 for years to come. Move Rat on over to get some more 1-on-1's against guards.

what is the infactuation with moving Rat to DE?

why not just draft a similar player to play that position?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2650667 said:
DT, because good NTs that can play in the 3-4 are hard to find. Plus, we can get Ratliff to play DE more which will cover up some of our lack of depth in that area. Just like on offense, everything starts with good line-play.

DT - reasons listed above
SS - we need someone who can actually tackle b/c Hamlin (and every other SS on our roster) can't... offenses are taking advantage of this in a big way
ILB - we still have James, Thomas, and Burnett... not spectacular, but not as immediate a need as the other 2 positions.

Those guys are pretty much gone..we are left with Carpenter and James.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't shoehorn that pick into any position. It just depends which players are on the board when we're up. There's no ILB with a realistic chance of being there at #51 that I'd select at that slot. In order: Connor Barwin, Duke Robinson, Ron Brace, Sean Smith.

dmoore

Reaction score
If all talent is equal, ILB is the easy choice. I don't think it'll workout that way though, and it's just as well since a quality guy should be available later on.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650669 said:
what is the infactuation with moving Rat to DE?

why not just draft a similar player to play that position?

Man,I just have to spell everything out don't I? Ratliff is a great NT but broke down last year getting all those double teams. He isn't a true NT. He had 6 sacks his first 10 games..1.5 his last 6. The tackle has to account for Ware on the outside and the center and guard account for that big NT(ala Jamal Williams,Haloti Nnata) that takes on blockers. Rat will be left with 1-on-1's with a guard. Imagine him and Ware on the same side..who do you block? Rat gets beat up playing NT and it takes a toll on your body over time.

I guarentee I'll get a gem response from you, but if you don't get this, then you don't understand 3-4 defenses and I'm sorry

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2650682 said:
Man,I just have to spell everything out don't I? Ratliff is a great NT but broke down last year getting all those double teams. He isn't a true NT. He had 6 sacks his first 10 games..1.5 his last 6. The tackle has to account for Ware on the outside and the center and guard account for that big NT(ala Jamal Williams,Haloti Nnata) that takes on blockers. Rat will be left with 1-on-1's with a guard. Imagine him and Ware on the same side..who do you block? Rat gets beat up playing NT and it takes a toll on your body over time.

I guarentee I'll get a gem response from you, but if you don't get this, then you don't understand 3-4 defenses and I'm sorry

so getting him a running-mate doesn't alleviate the strain?

that seems easier to me, keep Ratliff at a position where he's dominating at, and dont' waste a 2nd on an immovable sloth, when similar players could be had later

seems like a win to me

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650687 said:
so getting him a running-mate doesn't alleviate the strain?

that seems easier to me, keep Ratliff at a position where he's dominating at, and dont' waste a 2nd on an immovable sloth, when similar players could be had later

seems like a win to me

Immovable sloth??:laugh2: Okayyy I'm done proving my point..I can't win with you.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2650692 said:
Immovable sloth??:laugh2: Okayyy I'm done proving my point..I can't win with you.

besides occupying 2 blockers and taking advantage of having BJ Rajii next to him

what does Brace do that makes him so worthy?

and don't dispense with, "oh no, we run a 3-4, oh no, we need a 330lb. guy there! WAAAAAH"

I'll be laughing my *** off when he takes a Gabe Watson slide to the 4th round

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I'd go NT or SS. by the time we pick all the ILB will be gone unless we get lucky. if Brace is there take him and don't look back.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2650696 said:
I'd go NT or SS. by the time we pick all the ILB will be gone unless we get lucky. if Brace is there take him and don't look back.

man, all the press Brace is getting makes me want to balloon up to 330lbs.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Obviously this comes down to who is available and what we have done in free agency. There are a few players that I would like to bring in that should come relatively cheap like Keyaron Fox, Pierre Woods, etc. helping alleviate needs in the draft. At our spot, we have to take BPA, however if we were able to trade up into the 1st/early second or add another 2nd, there's a few players I would love to target at several positions.