DT, SS, or ILB with our first pick?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I like Darry Beckwith in round 3. He's solid and can cover. I give in. Burnett is going to walk. However, I'm going offensive line in round 2. The safety class is weak. Plus, by 51, they might all be gone.

Watch out for North Carolina SS, Trimane Goddard. He's 5-11 195, and he's under valued. Scott Wright called him a poor man's Rashad Johnson. He is listed as a FS/CB as far as his second position goes. That probably means he has some coverage skills.

I think the Bears, Cowboys, Eagles, and Steelers will all be watching these three players:

Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson
Phil Loadholt

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I just looked at the comine numbers for the linebackers. They are as slow as Grand Pa Joe driving at 12:00. I couldn't believe the times. Burnett ran a 4.5.

Darry Beckwith ran a 4.77.

This class looks real weak.

Tyrone McKenzie ran in the 4.77, too.

Edit: I should have said the class looks weak in terms of weak-side inside linebackers with speed. There are some good players. I just don't see the speed. I see a lot of strong-side prospects.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
What about Gerald McGrath, the inside linebacker from Southern Miss? He ran a 4.61 today. I think he rates in the 3-4 round.

This guy was Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year, and he's a junior.

I'm interested.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Na I want a DE Jarron Gilbert will be a cheaper replacement for Canty and be better than Canty.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650695 said:
besides occupying 2 blockers and taking advantage of having BJ Rajii next to him

what does Brace do that makes him so worthy?

and don't dispense with, "oh no, we run a 3-4, oh no, we need a 330lb. guy there! WAAAAAH"

I'll be laughing my *** off when he takes a Gabe Watson slide to the 4th round
BJ Raji sat out the entire 2007 season because of academic reasons Ron Brace and the Boston College run defense finished 2nd in the nation against the run. That year he was 5th on the team with TFL and 3rd in sacks.

Defensive Line

Projected Starters: After sitting out last season due to an academic issue, senior B.J. Raji is back at defensive tackle and looking to recapture the form that made him an NFL prospect. A pillar of strength in run defense at 6-1 and 325 pounds, he uses his leverage to his advantage, bull rushing opponents en route to the backfield.

Raji will be joined in the middle by another space-eater, 6-3, 325-pound senior Ron Brace. Nearly as dominant in the trenches, he picked up a lot of the slack after Raji was declared ineligible, earning honorable mention All-ACC recognition with 27 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks. Tough to move off his blocks, he was a key reason why the Eagles were No. 2 nationally in run defense.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/747620.html

Thats why we like Ron Brace.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2651202 said:
BJ Raji sat out the entire 2007 season because of academic reasons Ron Brace and the Boston College run defense finished 2nd in the nation against the run. That year he was 5th on the team with TFL and 3rd in sacks.

Defensive Line

Projected Starters: After sitting out last season due to an academic issue, senior B.J. Raji is back at defensive tackle and looking to recapture the form that made him an NFL prospect. A pillar of strength in run defense at 6-1 and 325 pounds, he uses his leverage to his advantage, bull rushing opponents en route to the backfield.

Raji will be joined in the middle by another space-eater, 6-3, 325-pound senior Ron Brace. Nearly as dominant in the trenches, he picked up a lot of the slack after Raji was declared ineligible, earning honorable mention All-ACC recognition with 27 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks. Tough to move off his blocks, he was a key reason why the Eagles were No. 2 nationally in run defense.

I get it

holding 2 blocks still doesn't impress me

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2651202 said:

Defensive Line

weak....

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2651209 said:
I really think you don't. We need our version of Jammal Williams and this kid could give us that. I think he would have the same impact Haloti Ngata had for Baltimore. This one guy who you say absorbs blockers(which ins't a bad thing), could help our entire front 7 get better.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2650648 said:
Just wondering what people would take with our first pick, assuming no trade up, if they were running things.

For S&G, include O-line if you prefer.

Naturally, you would go BPA if one jumps out as far superior to the others. But assume for a minute they are all roughly the same.

I would go ILB simply because we have literally no one else to play there and I don't offhand know of any good FAs we could put there. I think we're in real trouble there. (I'm not a Burnett believer if you can't tell.)

I can see DE, though, by the "planet theory" that you go with big talent first. But I think that sometimes teams use that kind of thinking to reach on big underachievers at around this point. And in our case, Olshansky is IMO a reasonable possibility.

I'd go SS last, probably, because I tend to think that S is the easiest hole to fill on the defense.

What do you think?

I dont think thats true. Weve had like 2 good years out ofour safeties since Darren retired.
I think your underrating safety.

Any spot on the OL could also use some attenton besides RG.

I think the 3rd to 4th round is where we get an ILB.

I think our first 4 picks will be safety, NT/DE, OL(versatile tackle), and ILB

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
By the way I wasn't trying to impress you. Your question was what is it that makes Brace so worthy and what has he done without BJ Raji? I think I answered your question.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2651222 said:
I really think you don't. We need our version of Jammal Williams and this kid could give us that. I think he would have the same impact Haloti Ngata had for Baltimore. This one guy who you say absorbs blockers(which ins't a bad thing), could help our entire front 7 get better.

Brace isn't Jammal Williams, or Haloti Ngata
those guys actually penetrate through the line

Brace, doesn't

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2651257 said:
Brace isn't Jammal Williams, or Haloti Ngata
those guys actually penetrate through the line

Brace, doesn't
He isn't there yet but he is working with Haynesworth personal trainer to improve his pass rushing skills. He could develop into something special. For right now he can absorb blocks while I'll lbers make plays.

RamziD

Reaction score
I get it

You apparently don't understand what the role of a 3-4 NT is and it has become apparent that you are obstinate, so why should anyone bother discussing this with you anymore? Besides, nobody gives a crap what impresses you... all we care about is who can improve our team.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650681 said:
why is this even a discussion? we're for surely taking Ron Brace
I'm not sold on Brace. Actually, I'm not sure I even would consider him first day. If I did, it would probably be in the 3rd round. All he has going for him is his size. Beyond that he doesn't have much. The play has to come to him as he doesn't really pursue the play, he is slow even for his size, he had injury issues last year, and he has major issues keeping his weight down. (can't steer clear of the brownies)

He gets attention because of his size and playing next to Raji. You couldn't move both of them from the middle.

dmoore

Reaction score
RamziD;2651506 said:
You apparently don't understand what the role of a 3-4 NT is and it has become apparent that you are obstinate, so why should anyone bother discussing this with you anymore? Besides, nobody gives a crap what impresses you... all we care about is who can improve our team.

What is the role of a 3-4 NT? I was under the assumption that Jay Ratliff was a pro-bowl NT in a 3-4 defense. Does he just take on blocks?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2651506 said:

I think you need to understand Wade Phillips 3-4 a little more because it isn't a traditional 3-4.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2651506 said:

this isn't the traditional 3-4 where the NT just sits there

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2651645 said:
this isn't the traditional 3-4 where the NT just sits there
Parcells might draft Brace if that is the case. :laugh2:

Of course Parcells doesn't like guys who eat "biscuits". :p: