Duane Thomas dead at 77

_sturt_

Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Duane Thomas died on Sunday, team officials confirmed, at the age of 77.

Thomas was born in Dallas and attended Lincoln High School before starring at West Texas State with future Miami Dolphins star Mercury Morris.

The Cowboys selected Thomas with the No. 23 selection in the 1970 NFL Draft. In his first season, he led the team in rushing with 803 yards and five touchdowns en route to being chosen as NFL Rookie of the Year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-dallas-cowboys-west-texas-202045947.html
Loved watching him play. Thought he was our version of Gale Sayers. Just hated that he and Coach Landry couldn't seem to get on the same page, and that his time in Big D ended too soon.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I just heard about Duane Thomas passing away. 2 days late thanks to today's media. Such a gifted athlete who lasted only 2 years as a Dallas Cowboy and 4 years total in the NFL. Sad thinking of what could have been, but he did help the Cowboys win their first ever Super Bowl in 1971.

Rest in peace, Mr. Duane Thomas. :starspin:
Two days late thanks to today's media?

Dude, back in the day, you wouldn't hear about this for a few weeks, if you managed to catch it in the newspaper.

Also, it could very much be the case that there was no announcement for media to report on. What do you expect? Reporters waiting like ghoulishly outside of the houses of every aging person you ever heard of to report on stuff like this?

plasticman

Reaction score
Duane Thomas, starting RB for the Cowboys first two Super Bowls. He was intelligent, rebellious, and powerful. Yes, he could have been the next Jim Brown.

The Cowboys would not have been to either Super Bowl had it not been for the running of Duane Thomas. He was the offense during the first two playoff games in 1970, running for 135 yards on 30 carries in the divisional game and 143 yards on 27 carries in the NFC championship game.

Duane and Jim Brown were friends, In fact Jim Brown was in the lockerroom when the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl. He was there when a reporter asked Duane what it was like playing in the "ultimate game"

Duane responded, "If that was the ultimate game then why are they playing another next year?"

R.I.P. Duane Thomas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is sad.He will be missed. Yes, the daughter is dang well an official source. If not, that rule needs to be fixed. When I pass away, my wife or daughter will report it and I'm pretty sure it will stand.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The guy had power and speed. Vision, everything, even had the sweet feet. The NFL has a way of humbling everyone though, at some point. Its hard to stay at a high level all the time in a league where everyone is good. I think the pressure and expectation of the NFL and being a Dallas Cowboy cut his career short. I think his issues were much bigger than him not seeing eye to eye with Tom. He more or less states that in later interviews. Correct me if I am wrong, didn't Tom and him become pretty close before Tom passed?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just found out. Duane Thomas had it but Duane also had a mind of his own too when that was very much frowned upon. Was great in his time and played hard, too bad it was short lived. May you rest in peace Mr.Thomas!

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I was 12 when Duane won ROY and the Cowboys went on a great run only to lose by a FG in a turnover-marred SB V. (Talk about defense - that team had it in spades - with a big Rick Flair WHOOOOOO!!!)

Duane was awesome fluid with an extra gear and could turn on a dime - which also describes his mentality. He never ‘bought in’ to the program at any of his stops in the NFL - but the man had GAME.

Intriguing person. I’ll never forget what he was - or stop regretting what he could have been.

RIP to the original 33.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I am not sure many remember a famous quote from him....
Some writer asked him about playing in the Super Bowl, the ultimate game........he responded "if it's the ultimate game, why do they play it every year".

He and Hollywood Henderson were the only players Tom Landry did not like and it was no secret. But looking back, It wasn't that didn't like them as much he didn't how to deal with them coz beat their drums regardless of what Landry thought. But yes he was very underappreciated as a player.

oldcorvetteguy

Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Duane Thomas died on Sunday, team officials confirmed, at the age of 77.

Thomas was born in Dallas and attended Lincoln High School before starring at West Texas State with future Miami Dolphins star Mercury Morris.

The Cowboys selected Thomas with the No. 23 selection in the 1970 NFL Draft. In his first season, he led the team in rushing with 803 yards and five touchdowns en route to being chosen as NFL Rookie of the Year.

I was friends with Thomas on Facebook. He was a unasuming guy. I kept telling him that he was one of the best ever. R.I.P. Duane.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Dam, hate to hear that..................77 aint that old nowadays.

R.I.P.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Two days late thanks to today's media?

Dude, back in the day, you wouldn't hear about this for a few weeks, if you managed to catch it in the newspaper.

Also, it could very much be the case that there was no announcement for media to report on. What do you expect? Reporters waiting like ghoulishly outside of the houses of every aging person you ever heard of to report on stuff like this?
Considering how today everyone reports every little news they hear on the spot with the click of a text on X (previously Twitter) or other many social media sites (including news networks), yes, absolutely one expects news to reach the masses much quicker.

Captain Late

Reaction score
The guy had power and speed. Vision, everything, even had the sweet feet. The NFL has a way of humbling everyone though, at some point. Its hard to stay at a high level all the time in a league where everyone is good. I think the pressure and expectation of the NFL and being a Dallas Cowboy cut his career short. I think his issues were much bigger than him not seeing eye to eye with Tom. He more or less states that in later interviews. Correct me if I am wrong, didn't Tom and him become pretty close before Tom passed?
Duane Thomas and Coach Landry did reconcile after he returned to Dallas in 1976 and was given every opportunity to make the roster.He just wasn't the same player.Coach Landry put in a good word to get Duane another shot with Bart Starr and Green Bay in 1978 but it didn't work out.Landry actually reached out to the Governor of Texas to get Duane's Drug Possession arrest in 1972 cleared.

When they had the Parade and Day for Coach Landry in 1989 Duane was there in person.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Duane Thomas and Coach Landry did reconcile after he returned to Dallas in 1976 and was given every opportunity to make the roster.He just wasn't the same player.Coach Landry put in a good word to get Duane another shot with Bart Starr and Green Bay in 1978 but it didn't work out.Landry actually reached out to the Governor of Texas to get Duane's Drug Possession arrest in 1972 cleared.

When they had the Parade and Day for Coach Landry in 1989 Duane was there in person.
That last part I never knew. Good on both men.

Cmac

Reaction score
RIP.....great running back for such a period that was too short.

rags747

Reaction score
I am not sure many remember a famous quote from him....
Some writer asked him about playing in the Super Bowl, the ultimate game........he responded "if it's the ultimate game, why do they play it every year".

He and Hollywood Henderson were the only players Tom Landry did not like and it was no secret. But looking back, It wasn't that didn't like them as much he didn't how to deal with them coz beat their drums regardless of what Landry thought. But yes he was very underappreciated as a player.
That writer was Tom Brookshier who was a well know personality in his own right. Also played for the Eagles as a cornerback. Tom and Pat Summerall were the team for CBS games, off the field they really tore it up Together!