Duane Thomas dead at 77

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Was he as bad as Landry, Schramm and Brandt?!
Yes. Those three you mentioned provided the heavy lifting to keep the franchise purring for a while. Thomas caused division, called Landry a plastic man, questioned the Super Bowl and kept the fan base wondering about his availability.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dang. Thats harsh. None of us likely never knew him. From afar, I know he made amends. Thats good enough for God, and good enough for me.
Harsh? Yes. But I base it on years (as stated in an earlier post) I never forgot the division in the locker roo, calling out his coach as plastic man, keeping an apprehensive fan base wondering if he play. He even questioned the greatness (even then) of the Super Bowl.

From CBS News: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ion-passes-away/ar-AA1omnE2?ocid=BingNewsSerp
. Thomas wanted a bump in pay entering the 1971 season, but the Cowboys didn't budge, leading to Thomas being traded to New England.

Expand article logo
Continue reading

Things went so badly for Thomas in New England that NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle actually nixed the deal shortly after it had been made. Upon his return to Dallas, Thomas refused to speak to anyone -- including teammates and coaches -- throughout the entire season, and would only respond to people with mumbles or grunts, according to teammates.

But I have always been a fan of revisionist bios.

John813

Reaction score
He was before my time but definitely an interesting read on him. Read a long article on him from 1973 from a reporter that interviewed him and Kiner.

Wonder what caused him to just check out, even after getting paid from the Chargers and just vanishing at times.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He was before my time but definitely an interesting read on him. Read a long article on him from 1973 from a reporter that interviewed him and Kiner.

Wonder what caused him to just check out, even after getting paid from the Chargers and just vanishing at times.
I think he did not love the game. IT was a means to an end. He later in life said he was fairly screwed up back then

Sheepherder

Reaction score

One thing that people need to keep in mind is that Duane lost both of his parents in his teens, I believe it was. He ended up moving to California where he was raised by a reIative. That's a tough situation to go through. Thought I might throw that in there.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
On thing I remember about DT is being mentioned by Tony Randall on the Odd Couple. MNF was new and was on ABC so they used clips in an OC episode (also on ABC) as a back door way to promote it and showed footage from a game vs the Giants, including footage of Thomas and Randall mentions him doing play by play

That was no gain. No gain, but a lesson for us all

mldardy

Reaction score
You might be in that spectrum, old fellow. :)
You might need help, because this response makes no sense. That's not surprising since you had no answer for what I asked and instead deflected with BS.

You don't know the guy so again Shutup. Old lady.:mad:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Very sad. I'm older than most of you, and I cried when the Cowboys, with Thomas, lost to Baltimore. Thomas's end zone fumble was recovered by the Cowboys, but . . .

I LOVED his running style, and LOVED how he shredded the Dolphins in the next year's Super Bowl. There was a major culture chasm between him and Landry---Duane was on the front side of the civil rights envelope, Landry still on the back side. Landry just didn't understand the big deal coming from his background. Obviously, though, Thomas was really good with Dallas, and came in at just the right time to replace the injured Calvin Hill.
Very much a part of "the" Cowboys legend.
how was Landry on this supposed back side? do tell

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You might need help, because this response makes no sense. That's not surprising since you had no answer for what I asked and instead deflected with BS.

You don't know the guy so again Shutup. Old lady.:mad:
Such an angry sort. Did your mum not give you 10 quid for smokes?

Gorgon

Reaction score
I’m sure u remember how he carved up both Detroit and SF in the playoffs too.
In that 1970s SF championship game, Craig Morton threw 14 passes.

That's cuz they ran on almost every play.

Gorgon

Reaction score
how was Landry on this supposed back side? do tell
By all accounts of the team then, Landry (who was NOT a bigot) nevertheless didn't get the growing black identification within the league. He still thought he could interact with players the
way he had in the early 1960s. Some, including Thomas, later Hollywood Henderson, and a few others (whom I forget now) had made comments to that effect. Let's just say I think Landry could have gotten a LOT more out
of Thomas, who had exceptional skills.

rags747

Reaction score
By all accounts of the team then, Landry (who was NOT a bigot) nevertheless didn't get the growing black identification within the league. He still thought he could interact with players the
way he had in the early 1960s. Some, including Thomas, later Hollywood Henderson, and a few others (whom I forget now) had made comments to that effect. Let's just say I think Landry could have gotten a LOT more out
The next generation of coaches were able to handle this much better, see Jimmy Johnson

gtb1943

Reaction score
This could have made a difference but I doubt it. Duane Thomas was simply a different sort of person and Landry could not really figure him out. It is interesting though later on after they were both no longer in the game they became at least friendly if nothing else. Landry apparently worked to get Thomas's drug conviction redacted from his record by the Governor of Texas
And I remember when Thomas tried a comeback in 1976 more than a few remarked that Landry really gave him every chance to make it again; so you never know
And when they held that ceremony to honor Landry after he was fired Thomas was there

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
how did he interact with players in the early 60s?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard DT is in limbo outside the pearly gates because he's refusing to talk to Saint Peter.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Yes. Not criticizing Landry. Just saying, a different coach---today's coach---may have made Thomas's career truly special.