Duane Thomas dead at 77

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Duane Thomas died on Sunday, team officials confirmed, at the age of 77.

Thomas was born in Dallas and attended Lincoln High School before starring at West Texas State with future Miami Dolphins star Mercury Morris.

The Cowboys selected Thomas with the No. 23 selection in the 1970 NFL Draft. In his first season, he led the team in rushing with 803 yards and five touchdowns en route to being chosen as NFL Rookie of the Year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-dallas-cowboys-west-texas-202045947.html
Duane Thomas was a monster talent. His size and speed combo was very much like Jim Brown. If he had kept his mind focused he was headed to Canton. Watch his highlights. He was truly special.

God bless his family. Rest in peace #33.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How isnt his daughter an official source?
We have to be careful on this site about information concerning someone‘s death.

Sometimes there are fake Twitter accounts that look legit that aren’t. Yes his daughter would be a real source but this site (for both accuracy and legal reasons) tries to be careful about not posting things that have not been vetted and verified. It’s an accuracy and verification issue, nothing else.

kskboys

Reaction score
The original 33. RIP

Would have been SB VI MVP but they knew he wouldn’t interview and possibly not accept.

Our 1st very controversial great player. Many thought he’d be the next Jim Brown.
DuLvLkJ.jpeg
More controversial than the flasher?

Gorgon

Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Duane Thomas died on Sunday, team officials confirmed, at the age of 77.

Thomas was born in Dallas and attended Lincoln High School before starring at West Texas State with future Miami Dolphins star Mercury Morris.

The Cowboys selected Thomas with the No. 23 selection in the 1970 NFL Draft. In his first season, he led the team in rushing with 803 yards and five touchdowns en route to being chosen as NFL Rookie of the Year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-dallas-cowboys-west-texas-202045947.html
Very sad. I'm older than most of you, and I cried when the Cowboys, with Thomas, lost to Baltimore. Thomas's end zone fumble was recovered by the Cowboys, but . . .

I LOVED his running style, and LOVED how he shredded the Dolphins in the next year's Super Bowl. There was a major culture chasm between him and Landry---Duane was on the front side of the civil rights envelope, Landry still on the back side. Landry just didn't understand the big deal coming from his background. Obviously, though, Thomas was really good with Dallas, and came in at just the right time to replace the injured Calvin Hill.
Very much a part of "the" Cowboys legend.

rags747

Reaction score
Very sad. I'm older than most of you, and I cried when the Cowboys, with Thomas, lost to Baltimore. Thomas's end zone fumble was recovered by the Cowboys, but . . .

I LOVED his running style, and LOVED how he shredded the Dolphins in the next year's Super Bowl. There was a major culture chasm between him and Landry---Duane was on the front side of the civil rights envelope, Landry still on the back side. Landry just didn't understand the big deal coming from his background. Obviously, though, Thomas was really good with Dallas, and came in at just the right time to replace the injured Calvin Hill.
Very much a part of "the" Cowboys legend.
I’m sure u remember how he carved up both Detroit and SF in the playoffs too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
This is sad.He will be missed. Yes, the daughter is dang well an official source. If not, that rule needs to be fixed. When I pass away, my wife or daughter will report it and I'm pretty sure it will stand.
I think the reason is there is always the possibility that the person posting on Twitter isn't the real person they are claiming to be. Someone could pretend to be the child or spouse of anyone on a social media site, so an initial post would still need to be vetted before they become an official source. All speculation on my part.

joseephuss

Reaction score
What a great athlete. What a lousy individual.
I don't know if he was a lousy individual. Maybe at that time early in his career, but he was young then. Things change. He was a challenge back then, that is for sure. The Cowboys traded him in1971, but he was such a handful for the Patriots that Pete Rozelle had to void the trade and he was sent back to Dallas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We should assume the man was decent. By all accounts he made amends and rectified things in his life. Let's let it rest, and let him be. Hes gone. None of us are anywhere close to perfect. Flaws galore. Just speaking for myself. May he rest in peace. Much respect to him and his loved ones, friends.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't know if he was a lousy individual. Maybe at that time early in his career, but he was young then. Things change. He was a challenge back then, that is for sure. The Cowboys traded him in1971, but he was such a handful for the Patriots that Pete Rozelle had to void the trade and he was sent back to Dallas.
he came to realize his own actions were not acceptable later in his life. Good on him for that. Many never admit it. He did. I respect anyone that looks in the mirror and self reflects on themselves, then tries to be better. In the end, isn't that the goal in this life?

Shane612

Reaction score
Well damn.
The first RB I ever watched. Super Bowl VI, the first NFL game I watched as a 10 year old kid living in San Diego...made me a Cowboys' fan.
RIP.
:(

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As I recall, he really hated Tom Landry in the early part of his career, but had very high praise for him, once his career had ended. His size, speed and moves were almost unheard of back then. He'll always be remembered by the fans who knew him when he played for Dallas -- a really great RB.
Rest in Peace, Duane Thomas. :bow:

Last edited: