Duke Johnson to the Texans

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what if it is cheaper than Elliott. Johnson is a complimentary back. Dallas would still need a guy or 2 to take on the workload of running the ball. Johnson would have been an luxury, not a necessity.

Which they drafted this year. Or so I keep being told anyway?

Dallas maybe have a cheaper version in Pollard.

Or not.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Does your own use of “aside from Morris” concern you? I was only indicating that he is a vet, so no. He's not a premier player but I think he can contribute.

Are you OK going into the season counting on him?
that's my point, i'm not counting on just him. i'm willing to give the unproven guys a chance to prove themselves. offseason reports have been pretty favorable. Plus we still have the FB (another vet) who can pull some of the load.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's my point, i'm not counting on just him. i'm willing to give the unproven guys a chance to prove themselves. offseason reports have been pretty favorable. Plus we still have the FB (another vet) who can pull some of the load.

And my point is that I would much prefer Duke Johnson as part of the replace Zeke committee than I would Alfred Morris.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm thinking so. And then the team and the SuperFans will try to spin it to where that's a "great thing!"

My stomach is queasy already expecting it.

Its all about the cost, guaranteed money and what measures we take to protect ourselves in case of suspension.

We are better with Zeke and I will be happy to brong him back, DEPENDING on cost.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I don't get the fascination with Duke Johnson. If he were as good as everyone seems to think then he would be playing.

Just because he's there doesn't mean the Cowboys need him. The panic about Elliott is only within this site and the fandom. There's also a write up on the front page of NFL.com now talking about Pollard standing out. All signs point to the team being better served to save a 3rd round pick.

And the Browns have completely spanked the Texans in trades recently. Their two before this one have been straight up laughable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its all about the cost, guaranteed money and what measures we take to protect ourselves in case of suspension.

We are better with Zeke and I will be happy to brong him back, DEPENDING on cost.

If they're going to start paying him early (two full years before they have to), the cost is huge. From both a dollars perspective and a precident perspective. You're paying too much money earlier than you have to and putting up the 'open for business' sign for every other player looking for more money.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
That's pretty weird because they already have a quality receiving back in D'onta Foreman to back up Miller.
That's pretty weird because they already have a quality receiving back in D'onta Foreman to back up Miller.
While others have posted he doesn't even play there as of last week but Foreman is not a pass catching back. He is a big brawler and molded in the image and style a 1,2 thumper possesses.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With Elliott and Pollard, would really have given up a 3rd (assuming he's used) for Duke at this stage? Plus he gets paid about 5 mil per year
At this stage, no, but I would have given up a 4th for Duke before the draft, no questions asked.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Should of been us man. Damn. With this Zeke situation.
We should have done that!
:banghead:

I liked the idea of trading for Duke Johnson back before the draft.

However, Duke Johnson is a bit redundant with Tony Pollard.

If Zeke is really going to holdout during the season, the Cowboys need a different type of RB than Duke Johnson.

Without Zeke the Cowboys are lacking a RB with size/power.

The good news is that finding a 1st/2nd down powerful grinder type RB to team with All-Purpose Pollard and general purpose guys like Morris or Weber shouldn't be that difficult to obtain.

Zeke has great value because he can do both the power grind it out work and the 3rd down plus receiving and be the big play threat.
- A RB with just the power, grind it out ability but without the other attributes should be available for 4th or 5th round pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the fascination with Duke Johnson. If he were as good as everyone seems to think then he would be playing.

Just because he's there doesn't mean the Cowboys need him. The panic about Elliott is only within this site and the fandom. There's also a write up on the front page of NFL.com now talking about Pollard standing out. All signs point to the team being better served to save a 3rd round pick.

And the Browns have completely spanked the Texans in trades recently. Their two before this one have been straight up laughable.

Start here:

Lutonio

Reaction score
Start here:

All of that also adds up to only 1286 career yards and 5 touchdowns to show for it.

I don't think he's a bum, but I would rather have a 3rd round pick and the team's current group of RBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Big_D

Reaction score
It's a great move for both. The Texans should get quality production at that price and Johnson should see plenty of work.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Browns had a 3-year, $15.6 million dollar contract with the Browns, with $7.7 million guaranteed.

Guessing maybe the Cowboys may not have wanted to honor it. They're feeling the $$ stress, lately?

His 3 year deal was an extension while still on his rookie contract. So he still has all 3 years left, but a lot of that was guarantees Cleveland already paid out.

Houston is on the hook for 2.2 million this year and 4.2 million next year, and then 5 mil the year after that. They're paying him about 3.8 mil a season through 2021. Amazing coup for the Texans.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/duke-johnson-16801/

visionary

Reaction score
With Elliott and Pollard, would really have given up a 3rd (assuming he's used) for Duke at this stage? Plus he gets paid about 5 mil per year

Give up 3rd for Duke
Trade Elliot for 1st

Trade both our 1st and this 1st to get Tua or Herbert or Trevor

Cut Dak

Save 55 mill/year and have a real QB

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And my point is that I would much prefer Duke Johnson as part of the replace Zeke committee than I would Alfred Morris.
Don't disagree from a pure player standpoint. But if you spend those additional resources to acquire him you are moving on from Zeke. Today, the timing just isn't right to make that kind of strategic decision\commitment.

In the future, we may wish it had worked out differently. Until then, I am anxious to see what we have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't disagree from a pure player standpoint. But if you spend those additional resources to acquire him you are moving on from Zeke. Today, the timing just isn't right to make that kind of strategic decision\commitment.

In the future, we may wish it had worked out differently. Until then, I am anxious to see what we have.

That is a good point, but I wouldn't mind a trio of Zeke, Duke, and Pollard if a long term deal with Elliott were to get worked out either.

CWR

Reaction score
If they're going to start paying him early (two full years before they have to), the cost is huge. From both a dollars perspective and a precident perspective. You're paying too much money earlier than you have to and putting up the 'open for business' sign for every other player looking for more money.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I hear you brother, but Zeke is elite. I dont care for his antics, but I will wait until I see the contract before I vomit.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
His 3 year deal was an extension while still on his rookie contract. So he still has all 3 years left, but a lot of that was guarantees Cleveland already paid out.

Houston is on the hook for 2.2 million this year and 4.2 million next year, and then 5 mil the year after that. They're paying him about 3.8 mil a season through 2021. Amazing coup for the Texans.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/duke-johnson-16801/

Yikes -- and to think we missed out on that! Well, I guess it's to the Texan's credit that they got him first. It still hurts, though! o_O