Dumb Cowboys Conspiracy Theory

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
theebs;2284757 said:
that trade was all about draft picks.

To conclude this he would have to be saying the nfl then assisted in some way the cowboys drafting players, making sure they took the right guys!

that guy really is out there. Why anyone would give that guy money for that book is strange to me.

Yes, and add to that the fact that some of the players often cited as being ones the Boys got with the picks, in particular Emmitt, were NOT gotten with a Walker pick but instead that pick was bundled with another of Dallas' picks to trade up and get Emmitt with the newly acquired pick from this different trade.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I'm a believer in these sorts of 'conspiracy' theories, actually...Don't really have a take on the Herschel Walker one but the list is long wrt scenarios where franchises in a professional sport basically made wholesale changes that in a 'free market' environment never would be done...Case in point, the Boston Celtics of this past season...This trade never gets done in the 'real world', this is all part of the grand design of professional monopolies to push the markets that bring in the revenue.

On the surface, these moves 'look' they help one team/club but in reality it boosts the entire league...Translation: :jackpot:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TheCount;2285203 said:
When you see a site named "JeffPearlman.com" and then an "article" by Jeff Pearlman, it's probably okay to ignore it. The fact that you can't get a job writing about sports so you start your own website and dub yourself a journalist should be a clue.

It wasn't an article by Pearlman. All he did was post a "letter" he got from a deranged Giants fan.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;2285056 said:
I am of the belief that the salary cap was established with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones in mind.
You're not the only one. While it wasn't the sole reason for the demise of one of the best dynasties in NFL history, it played its part. No real dynasty has surfaced since (sorry Patriots fans).

Primetime42

Reaction score
Yeah, I call BS.

Does he actually think for a minute that if it went down like he says, that one of the old owners (or someone else with that info) wouldn't have opened their mouth either before Tags was hired or in all the years since?

That's downright hilarious.

Temo

Reaction score
DallasEast;2285448 said:
You're not the only one. While it wasn't the sole reason for the demise of one of the best dynasties in NFL history, it played its part. No real dynasty has surfaced since (sorry Patriots fans).

How were the Patriots not a "real dynasty"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Temo;2285934 said:
How were the Patriots not a "real dynasty"
My definition of a real dynasty may differ from yours. When I think of an NFL dynasty, I think of teams with rosters of dominating players who have legitimate opportunities to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. I consider dynasties as being teams that can be compared to true dynasties of the past such as Packers of the 60's, the Dolphins, Steelers, Raiders and Cowboys of the 70's, the 49ers of the 80's, and the Cowboys of the 90's. Dynasties for me punctuate their championship seasons with either overpowering Super Bowl wins or even awe-inspiring Super Bowl losses.

When I look at the Patriots of the first decade of the 21st century, I see rosters made up overwhelmingly of parity-laden players, who I would not compare to the great teams of yesteryear, whose teams stamped their Super Bowl victories with three Adam Vinatieri fist-pumping field goals. They could've probably added another 'devastating' Super Bowl victory last season if not for the fact that one of their few Hall of Fame players (Vinatieri) hadn't already bolted for the Colts.

The quality of super teams in the NFL has diminished during the past decade and a half as parity has spread the wealth of quality players across many more teams. While the level of competitive football has increased, the eminence of the few superiorly talent-laden teams which once ran roughshod over less driven franchises, but made up for it with epic showdowns between a handful of superpowered squads, has waned as well.

It's still pro football, but for me, dynasties disappeared before the 20th century ended. Maybe they will one day return, but I haven't seen one yet. Just my two cents.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I Used to Believe that the Salary Cap costed us a SB or Two, but after reading parts of Pearlman's Book we were luck to get that one over the Steelers.