Dumbfounded, perplexed, and confused by the lack of interest in Dez

erod

Reaction score
He played with Romo who could thread a needle with the football. Romo made all the WRs better.

But, Dez handled himself all wrong in the off season. When Dallas let him walk he was completely unprofessional and made it into a public vendetta. Then he courts the Giants in twitter. He's an immature child and nobody wants that in their locker room. Dallas coddled him and nobody else is going to do that.
I get that.

I just didn't expect him to not be anywhere by now. He's still better than a lot of receivers in this league on roster right now.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
DB sitting on his couch is not surprising.

He’s sucks now. He didn’t always suck. Injuries and his lack of work he put into his craft has caught up to him.

This is not rocket science.

zack

Reaction score
We've all been hard on Dez at times. We've also lavished him with praise at other times. He's certainly an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

I supported his release, but I also winced in the process. I knew he wouldn't react well, and I fully expected a feeling out process from the rest of the league.

But there is no way in Hades I thought he'd be sitting at home on September 20th after Week 2. Not a chance in the world.

Just how bad was he in the locker room? What is out there that apparently none of us know? I'm watching 31 other teams ignore his availability without an offer, outside of a made-for-Hard-Knocks meeting with the Browns.

Corey Coleman has been traded and picked up twice. Josh Gordon is making the rounds. BRICE BUTLER was signed here. Several other receivers are getting released and picked up.

How is Dez not paired up with Rodgers in Green Bay or Brady in New England? Those guys and a few others can deliver the type of throws that made him so successful here for so long. Dez is a touchdown-scoring machine with back-shoulder and high-point throws on target.

Meanwhile, crickets on the Dez front. Still.

I'm sitting here thinking, shoot, $2 million for a one-year deal? Bring him back. If nobody wants him for cheap, the Cowboys aren't risking anything by bringing him back in the fold. You can release him if it's not working for nothing because it's a game-by-game payout now.

I repeat, what is out there that we don't know?

Those All-or-Nothing videos did Dez no favors. He looked like a petulant, out-of-control child at times. But Dez is a gamer, too. While he might have a route tree that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there's no question about his passion on game day, which is mostly good and sometimes bad.

If you're not strapped to him with a big contract, where's the risk? I just don't get it.

What do we not understand?

I agree with you and I would totally want him back on this team for a small dollar contract.

I think that the answer is simple. Dez doesn't want to play for anyone else besides the "Dallas Cowboys". Anyone here can say what they want about his diminishing skills, but the guy loved playing for the Dallas Cowboys.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So by that measure, Irvin, Pearson, Hill, Hayes, DuPree, Novacek, etc, weren't much then.
Rice had 197 TDs. Who cares about team records. No other teams do. They understand Romo and Bryant had a dangerous red zone connection. And that is no more.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
don't want to pile on but with the rest of the nfl not signing dez pretty much tells you where he is at

erod

Reaction score
I agree with you and I would totally want him back on this team for a small dollar contract.

I think that the answer is simple. Dez doesn't want to play for anyone else besides the "Dallas Cowboys". Anyone here can say what they want about his diminishing skills, but the guy loved playing for the Dallas Cowboys.

That is a really stupid point.

So stupid, in fact, that it might be 100% accurate.

That would be so like Dez. LOL

kskboys

Reaction score
So by that measure, Irvin, Pearson, Hill, Hayes, DuPree, Novacek, etc, weren't much then.
You're arguing about a nothing argument.

Stats change over time and are affected by many factors.

Emmit Smith has more receptions than Tony Hill. Does that mean he's a better receiver?

This is not a stats thing, EROD, not even remotely.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that.

I just didn't expect him to not be anywhere by now. He's still better than a lot of receivers in this league on roster right now.

If Dez didn't have a twitter account, he would have a job right now. He's better than anyone we have and could easily slide into many other teams. BUT, with the talent comes the rest of his persona and a large contract. Dallas had aenough and nobody else is apparently biting.

kskboys

Reaction score
That is a really stupid point.

So stupid, in fact, that it might be 100% accurate.

That would be so like Dez. LOL
That's funny, but you're right, might be part of it. The Cowboys let Dez act pretty much like he wanted to. Other orgs would not.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Loved Dallas so much that he threw his staff and players under the bus whining on social media. Yep, that's certainly love, lol.

erod

Reaction score
Rice had 197 TDs. Who cares about team records. No other teams do. They understand Romo and Bryant had a dangerous red zone connection. And that is no more.

The point is, you can't be an oaf who can't run routes and be as useless as tits on a hog and accidentally score more touchdowns than anyone in Cowboys history not named Emmitt Smith.

erod

Reaction score
Loved Dallas so much that he threw his staff and players under the bus whining on social media. Yep, that's certainly love, lol.

The dude hit his mama.

I'll say this for Dez. Nobody lived a more difficult childhood from a family standpoint than Dez Bryant. It's really pretty amazing that he managed to get himself into a position to screw up in the NFL in the first place. I would have never drafted him. He was better and more successful than I ever thought he would be.

cern

Reaction score
That's funny, but you're right, might be part of it. The Cowboys let Dez act pretty much like he wanted to. Other orgs would not.
dez was allowed to be a petulant brat because of jerry. Stephen finally stepped in and put his foot down. jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen said absolutely not. there were no negotiations. there were no opportunities to take a pay cut. just clean out your locker and leave the facility. don't come back.

erod

Reaction score
By the way, I wonder if Dez could pass a drug test. He has made comments like "when the time is right for me" when talking about Cleveland. It did not make sense at the time.

Pure speculation on my part - it just seemed weird.
I wonder if he's hurt. That lis-franc injury is no joke. He's had knee, back, and ankle injuries, too.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Confused why very few teams want him?.....They see is drop off in production, they've seen his sideline tantrums for years the same as we have.....they've watched him act a fool since he was released and they don't want that on their team.......I fail to see where the confusion is.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The point is, you can't be an oaf who can't run routes and be as useless as tits on a hog and accidentally score more touchdowns than anyone in Cowboys history not named Emmitt Smith.
Good save, lol.

Here's another thing. It's fairly common his route running is not only limited, but he didn't really put a whole lot into it. So after a 3 season fall off, why would the phone be ringing off the hook? Especially when you add in his attitude and antics into the mix.

And I know some fans on this forum who will tell you tits on a hog are not useless.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I love Dez but it was the right decision to cut him. When's the last time you can even recall Dez having a good game against a good corner? The last one I can even think of was against Richard Sherman @ Seattle in 2014.

JustChip

Reaction score
He never had serious dropped-pass issues before. You don't get too old to catch a football. That was an outlier.

Absolutely correct on the route running, so HOW IS HE THE ALL-TIME LEADER IN TOUCHDOWN PASSES IN COWBOYS HISTORY?

He doesn't suck. That's silly. I agree that no team will want to pair him with a young QB, but a seasoned veteran who knows how to use different types of receivers.

Sandlot football isn't predicated on route trees and the nuances of running a route. What he and Romo played was the NFL version of sandlot.

Ian Fitzimmons, who has been plugged in to college ball from way back reported that, while at OK State, the coaches made sure that Dez was always lined up on their side of the formation so they could tell him where to run.