Signed by Cowboys Durant signs with Dallas

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think the point was more about maintaining his health.

No, it was that we saw him as a guy who could really excel when he was in space and didn't have to deal as much with having to shed blocks.

His three major injuries haven't been about the MLB role at all. He dislocated his wrist on Mike Vick's helmet. Dislocated a toe. Tore his ACL prior to making contact with an OL.

None of that is about a guy who is getting beaten up in his role.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hitchens - Durant - Lee is serviceable.

Wilson and Nzeocha have a 10-game audition until Rolando returns.

Wilber and Gachkar are 0's to me.

I'm not counting on Nzeocha to make the 53 coming off a missed rookie season.

I think Wilber and Gachkar are more likely to fill the fifth and sixth spots. Both are veterans who can contribute, and both contributed more than Wilson last year.

Romonater

Reaction score
This team thinks they're a Super Bowl contender. They look at this as them getting a very good player in Week 11 in the heat of a playoff hunt. If he keeps his nose clean (pun intended) he will be suiting up.

Keeping him sends an abysmal message to the locker room. A guy can not show up with his teammates, take drugs, be suspended for 10 games and still be your starter? I get he's talented, but he's not THAT talented. I would rather deal with everyone else and keep a good team chemistry than bring that tool back. If he doesn't care enough to stay on the field, what makes you think he cares about actually winning for this team?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Durant isn't an MLB.

The question here is whether we feel we've bolstered the middle enough to move Sean back to MLB. The whole point of his move was to let him play in more space.

I think Durant plays wherever he's needed, and this case, he's likely needed in the middle.

Dallas moved Lee to the highly productive WLB spot both because he's our best LB and to keep him healthier.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He was a Mike in college and has played it in the NFL. He spent a camp at MIKE here before the team acquired McClain.

Oh boy, he played Mike in college! You know that was in 2006, right?

An older player who is a bit small for the position moving inside? Not really the way it usually goes kid.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Keeping him sends an abysmal message to the locker room. A guy can not show up with his teammates, take drugs, be suspended for 10 games and still be your starter? I get he's talented, but he's not THAT talented. I would rather deal with everyone else and keep a good team chemistry than bring that tool back. If he doesn't care enough to stay on the field, what makes you think he cares about actually winning for this team?

I really don't think players care about that message as much as fans do. Most of them just want to get paid and to win. If McClain is clearly the best player to help them win, then they will welcome him back with open arms.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of McClain being kept, just that I don't think the players really are concerned about it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think Durant plays wherever he's needed, and this case, he's likely needed in the middle.

Dallas moved Lee to the highly productive WLB spot both because he's our best LB and to keep him healthier.

i think my previous post made it pretty clear that the "healthier" thing was overblown as he had rarely suffered injuries that would be less likely at MLB

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I see-... Wilber at SAM.... Hitchens at MIKE.....Lee at WILL

They will have Durant rotating with Wilber and Hitchens and use Gachkar, Wilson and Nacho as back-ups/STs

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

That's not who We are..at least not for the last 20 years or so.

This is a team who brought back a guy whose actions resulted in the death of a teammate. Jerry believes in second and third chances.

gimmesix

Reaction score
i think my previous post made it pretty clear that the "healthier" thing was overblown as he had rarely suffered injuries that would be less likely at MLB

There are articles that insist that health played a factor, such as this one:

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have hinted at moving Sean Lee to weakside linebacker since the middle of last season. At the NFL owners meetings, those hints were even stronger if not 100 percent certain.
i
The Cowboys have signed middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley, guaranteeing him $2 million in 2015, and continue to speak with the agent of middle linebacker Rolando McClain about a possible return.

The Cowboys have no qualms about a position change for Lee since he played outside linebacker at Penn State.

"I think we have to look at the landscape of our linebackers and we'll make our best decisions," coach Jason Garrett said. "Sean Lee has great instincts. In our defense, he would be protected by that under-tackle, that three-technique at the Will, where he can go and use those instincts. It's the Derrick Brooks position, it's the Lance Briggs position, and we just think Sean would do a fantastic job at it."

The weakside linebacker spot is the playmaking position in the defense. Justin Durant made 59 tackles in six games last year, according to the coaches' breakdown, at the spot.

But there is another reason to move Lee from middle linebacker and it has to do with his health. He missed last season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in the organized team activities and has yet to play a full season.

"That's his most natural position," Garrett said of the weakside spot. "Sean Lee's biggest issue throughout his whole career has been his health. If Sean Lee can stay healthy, he can be one of the best linebackers in this league -- and he has been. When he's been on the field, he's been as productive as anybody playing that position. He can play Mike, he can play Will, he can play Sam. He's an outstanding football player. We do think that Will is the best fit for him."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good. This one was obvious. He's depth at both MIKE and WIL and is a good guy and a fit for the defense. His only issue is staying on a field.