Dusty Hill, ZZ Top Bassist, Dead at 72

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched That Little Ol Band for Texas again last night and that is one band that is really easy to like. Frank's candor about his demons and problems was from the heart and I hope losing his longtime bud and player he recruited into the band doesn't cause him to slide back.

I know some turned on them when they changed from what they started as, a Texas Blues and Roadhouse band, but I think Billy explains it really well, they were influenced by everything they were hearing, music was changing with the introduction of Punk, just like Grunge has left it's brand on Rock. All 3 of them liked what they'd been hearing and found a way to apply that to their new sound.

There have been some really good 3 man bands, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Genesis, Grand Funk, James Gang, Nirvana, Police and Rush but none like ZZ Top, they withstood the test of time and the fallout effect of success to remain true to who and what they were, that little ol band from Texas.

Praxit

Reaction score
...ZZ was one of the headliners of MTV heyday 80's. I wasn't much of a fan per se, nonetheless its good memories in remembrance. When the skies were blue and days warm in CA. RIP sir.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But their earlier stuff was much better, IMO.

Tejas, Tres Hombres, Deguelo...Great albums.
Rio Grande Mud was my favorite but then they made that slight alteration to Tres Hombres that tied that one for me. I think the best part of that doc is that Bill Ham received credit for his contribution because he was every bit as responsible for their success as Mutt Lange was for Def Leppard.

Both of those men heard bands but in their minds they imagined something better, something missing from their sound. And when I am in the mood for some straight down the pipe Rock, they're two of the bands I turn to along with James Gang/Joe Walsh and Van Halen.

triplets_93

Reaction score
My Top 10 ZZ Top songs:
  • TUSH
  • LA GRANGE
  • JUST GOT PAID
  • BROWN SUGAR
  • BLUE JEAN BLUES
  • PEARL NECKLACE
  • TUBE SNAKE BOOGIE
  • GOT ME UNDER PRESSURE
  • ARRESTED FOR DRIVING WHILE BLIND
  • WAITIN' FOR THE BUS/JESUS JUST LEFT CHICAGO

RS12

Reaction score
My Top 10 ZZ Top songs:
  • TUSH
  • LA GRANGE
  • JUST GOT PAID
  • BROWN SUGAR
  • BLUE JEAN BLUES
  • PEARL NECKLACE
  • TUBE SNAKE BOOGIE
  • GOT ME UNDER PRESSURE
  • ARRESTED FOR DRIVING WHILE BLIND
  • WAITIN' FOR THE BUS/JESUS JUST LEFT CHICAGO
Great list. You left off beer drinkers and hell raisers though. Next ten years gonna be brutal for great, aging, boomer musicians.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Great list. You left off beer drinkers and hell raisers though. Next ten years gonna be brutal for great, aging, boomer musicians.

Well, it was the Top 10... and my beer drinking/hell raising days are in the rear view mirror.

Just under my Top were:

Francene
Thunderbird
Ten Dollar Man
Heard It On The X
Cheap Sunglasses
Sharp Dressed Man
Asleep In The Desert
Just Got back From Baby's