Dwayne Slay FS Texas Tech: Mel Kiper #22

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I like Laron Landry from LSU.

Yeah, you keep saying that so thus I am going to have to find out what Bowl LSU is in and see this dude play.

Im sure he is pretty good.

To be honest, I just want a dude that can ball hawk and lay a lick on a guy every now and then.

Mike Huff is from Irving, so he may want to actually go to another part of the country and get out of the State of Texas for a while.

- Mike G.

jbsg02

Reaction score
theogt said:
Holy smoke...I felt sorry for the QB on the 2nd one. If he ends up at Dallas, I predict a "No Tackling at Full Speed" rule a la horsecollar.

HAHAHA

jbsg02

Reaction score
Can you imagine a team with Roy Williams where he isn't your hardest hitting safety?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, you keep saying that so thus I am going to have to find out what Bowl LSU is in and see this dude play.

Im sure he is pretty good.

To be honest, I just want a dude that can ball hawk and lay a lick on a guy every now and then.

Mike Huff is from Irving, so he may want to actually go to another part of the country and get out of the State of Texas for a while.

- Mike G.
Grades out higher in some scouting ranks than any FS in the last 20 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Naruto said:
Didn't Huff have zero INT's at saftey this year?

Slay I don't know. Who's the best defensive player the Raiders have put into the NFL so far? Maybe he just looks good by comparison becuase everyone else on that D blows so bad.

Leron Landry looks good but 1st round pick good? Probably not.

Combine will tell all. Ernest Shazor and that saftey from Oregon State were supposed to be 1st round talents but both went undrafted.

Zach Thomas and Marcus Coleman of current era guys.
Montae Reagor has been a solid DT for the Colts.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
I keep reading about supposed speed issues... I guess 4.4/4.5 isn't fast enough for a 6'3" 215 safety?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
I keep reading about supposed speed issues... I guess 4.4/4.5 isn't fast enough for a 6'3" 215 safety?

Free safeties need to in order:
1. Be able to tackle because they are often the last line of defense on a run play.
2. Be able to diagnose plays quickly so they are at the right depth be it pass or run.
3. Man cover at least Tight Ends but preferably 3rd WRs as that allows variance in coverages.
4. Cover sideline to sideline with speed to make up ground quickly.

4.4 is about ideal for a free safety. 4.5 is still plenty fast for the position. 4.6 is a tad slow. I ran a 4.65 which was ok for college but I couldn't diagnose pass plays at all which was a killer. I always wanted to run up and tackle someone.

If a FS can't tackle they won't play for BP much less get drafted by him. They are frequently the difference between 7 or 8 yard gains and 25 yard gains. Many of the biggest plays we gave up last seaosn were with Tony Dixon missing tackles.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Do you guys really think Parcells is going to draft a Safety in the first round.

Im holding my breath for QB or Olineman myself.

- Mike G.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Do you guys really think Parcells is going to draft a Safety in the first round.

- Mike G.
No I don't. I think he will go ILB, OLB or OL.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

- Mike G.

I wouldn't be surprised if FS isn't even addressed this offseason. I just don't think the team values the position.

Personally, I'd be pretty bummed with a FS in 1. Get an impact player. LB, OT, WR, QB.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

- Mike G.

No. Dallas has never drafted someone in the 1st round to play FS exclusively since I've been a fan (1966) and I don't think they ever will.

Sure JJ drafted Roy but most would argue that he is the exception.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

- Mike G.

I think Parcells will try to trade down a bit and then look at OL, FS, LB. I expect a LB to be honest. But BP is not immune to safeties. He is very much affected by a position that causes him problems. Last season we had so mnay issues FS fell off the radar a bit and we drafted a kid real late but as we clean up a lot of those position and get the DL and RB where we want it, I don't see any reason to ignore FS any longer.

QB will not be taken round 1 by BP. He would only do that if he felt we were starting over form scratch. BP has shown he can draft OL late and get great players.

Hiero

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

- Mike G.
no way. OL LB WR or QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:
No. Dallas has never drafted someone in the 1st round to play FS exclusively since I've been a fan (1966) and I don't think they ever will.

Sure JJ drafted Roy but most would argue that he is the exception.
Its quickly becoming the rule tho with the huge impact of Sean Taylor, Troy Polawhatever, RW, and of course Ed Reed.

The game is now a passing game and as such you need corners, pass rushers and safeties. Really great corners and pass rushers are off the board early if identified so safeties are about all that is there after 10 in terms of real impact.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
My fear is Parcells will trade down and find another project at OL in the 2nd and 3rd Round.

I thought QB will be addressed, but I think Linebacker is probably the 1st pick in this draft.

I wonder if Dat's status affects his decision making though.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
My fear is Parcells will trade down and find another project at OL in the 2nd and 3rd Round.

I thought QB will be addressed, but I think Linebacker is probably the 1st pick in this draft.

It's a good possibility that Parcells will trade down if a pass rusher or NT are not available when the Cowboys pick in the 1st. There should be good talent at WR, OT, LB, and guard in the 2nd round.

Hiero

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

as long as that OL isnt an injury prone wimp that's ok with me. I wouldn't mind another tradedown as long as the situation is right. I wouldnt mind a 1st rd pick at RT though either.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hiero said:
as long as that OL isnt an injury prone wimp that's ok with me. I wouldn't mind another tradedown as long as the situation is right. I wouldnt mind a 1st rd pick at RT though either.

Anybody available that late in the draft that most experts think would be worth it?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:

In this draft, I probably wouldn't mind a trade down. Pick up a second and a 2007 first.

Similar to the 2004 draft. There will be good players in 2.

That is, of course, contingent on the fact that some nice looking prospect who fills a huge need isn't there in 1.

I don't know if LB will be first....but I'd be very surprised if at least one LB wasn't picked somewhere early.