Dwayne Slay FS Texas Tech: Mel Kiper #22

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
Ok guys, I offer exibit A: http://media.putfile.com/Slayhit

as testament to DSlay's ability to "deffend the pass".

I believe we are all familiar with this jewel from the same game http://media.putfile.com/DwayneSlay

And I am sure we could find more :) 6'3" 215lbs. Runs a 4.4/4.5 40... I love the long arms and height for pass deffense.
Holy smoke...I felt sorry for the QB on the 2nd one. If he ends up at Dallas, I predict a "No Tackling at Full Speed" rule a la horsecollar.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
South Carolina FS Ko SImpson is pretty good

I agree with the poster who said we should take advantage of the glut of OTs, and take one in the 1st

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
South Carolina FS Ko SImpson is pretty good

I agree with the poster who said we should take advantage of the glut of OTs, and take one in the 1st
How fortunate are we that there is a glut of players in the draft for the two positions that are our (arguably) biggest needs?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Naruto said:
Didn't Huff have zero INT's at saftey this year?

Slay I don't know. Who's the best defensive player the Raiders have put into the NFL so far? Maybe he just looks good by comparison becuase everyone else on that D blows so bad.

Leron Landry looks good but 1st round pick good? Probably not.

Combine will tell all. Ernest Shazor and that saftey from Oregon State were supposed to be 1st round talents but both went undrafted.

Huff has 2 INT's this year. 2 last year. When he does intercept it, he takes it the distance. He returned all of them for TD's. He's a phenomenon as an athlete. I remember listening to Major Applewhite on Austin Radio say that he was the fastest Longhorn player on the team on a team full of super blue chip recruits at every position. But he's never struck me as a natural and instinctive football player. You're not getting Ed Reed with this player. I think he could be a good cover corner if he can just use his athletic ability to run with WRs.

Slay is a monster hitter, but #22 seems a tad high. I'll wait until I see his 40 time before I decide if he's Sean Taylor or Ernest Shazor.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Huff has 2 INT's this year. 2 last year. When he does intercept it, he takes it the distance. He returned all of them for TD's. He's a phenomenon as an athlete. I remember listening to Major Applewhite on Austin Radio say that he was the fastest Longhorn player on the team on a team full of super blue chip recruits at every position. But he's never struck me as a natural and instinctive football player. You're not getting Ed Reed with this player. I think he could be a good cover corner if he can just use his athletic ability to run with WRs.

fortunately, I don't care about INTs from my FS, I care about great coverage ability from my FS, and that's exactly what you get with Huff

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If I'm going to spend a 1st round pick (and the money that comes with it) on a non-premium position like safety, I have no problem demanding some big plays out of him. Especially if all he has to do is just sit back and play centerfield.

Jay9508

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Landry LSU FS is the way to go :)
yeah, i believe landry would be the best coverage safety in the draft, if he enters the draft. think about, we really dont need another hard hitting safety, we need a great coverage safety and let roy dish the bone-crushing hits.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Hey there is a kid named Calvin Lowry playing for Penn State was in on 70+ tackles returned punts and had 4 ints this year. And as a bonus he is from Ft. Hood TX. Anyone seen him play this year? I watched him/them and if we are gonna get a safety in the draft, which I don't think we should, we can get him alot lower than the first round. He's 6'-0" 200lbs. I don't know where to go to get info on his 40 but he's not that big I can't imagine he's that slow either. He looked good to me.....

Hiero

Reaction score
Not really interested. I want a FS that can run with WR's and is focused solely on coverage. If he happens to hit thats nice, but all I really care about is a cover ballhawk FS.

Hiero

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
fortunately, I don't care about INTs from my FS, I care about great coverage ability from my FS, and that's exactly what you get with Huff
Huff is my mainman here, but he will not fall to us. He will go top 15.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jay9508 said:
yeah, i believe landry would be the best coverage safety in the draft, if he enters the draft. think about, we really dont need another hard hitting safety, we need a great coverage safety and let roy dish the bone-crushing hits.

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that pass coverage ability is the only thing that matters and the rest is just arbitrary. The free safety is the last line of defense. The tackle of the free safety is the difference between a 20 yard gain and a 70 scamper to the endzone. I don't care how good he is in pass coverage, if you don't have a FS who can tackle well it will cost you at least a couple of games a season.

Hiero

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If Roy is up at the line of scrimmage, that means the free safety is the last line of defense. The tackle of the free safety is the difference between a 20 yard gain and a 70 scamper to the endzone. If you don't have a FS who can tackle well it will cost you several games a season.
There is a big difference between being able to wrapup and tackle a guy, and being able to deliver bone crunching blows. I'd settle for the coverage FS with great speed who can cover deep and doesnt lay hits, over the the FS who lays big hits, but isnt fast enough to cover deep.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm just saying if you can't tackle well as an NFL safety, you are complete liability and essentially worthless. I don't care if you cover like Deion Sanders.

BigWillie

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer said:
Tech's Slay racks up Big 12 nod

BY DON WILLIAMS

Throughout his senior season, Dwayne Slay stunned quarterbacks, running backs and receivers who ventured into his territory. In a pleasant development, Slay was the one who got stunned Wednesday.
Texas Tech's free safety, a first-year starter, was taken aback when told that he'd been named Big 12 Conference defensive player of the year by The Associated Press.

"Oh, wow. That's big time,'' Slay said. "It's a blessing and I'm happy for it, but the thing about it is, I can't get complacent about it. I have to stay humble and do what God's blessed me to do - that's come out day in and day out and help the team as much as I can.''

Slay didn't put up big ball-hawk numbers, but he didn't have to. He finished the regular season second in the Big 12 in tackles with 101 and caused eight fumbles, a figure that ranked second in the nation. Kliff Kingsbury in 2002 is the only other Red Raider to be named a Big 12 offensive or defensive player of the year.

The AP honors - unveiled over a three-day period - are chosen by a panel of 20 sportswriters in seven states who regularly cover Big 12 football. Texas's Mack Brown on Tuesday was named coach of the year. Texas quarterback Vince Young was a unanimous choice as offensive player of the year, and Slay beat out seven other vote-getters on the defensive side.

Oklahoma State freshman running back Mike Hamilton and Oklahoma junior defensive end C.J. Ah You were named newcomers of the year for offense and defense.

The AP all-Big 12 teams will be revealed today.

Slay didn't have to wait for acknowledgment.

"I'm really excited for Dwayne, because he's certainly deserving,'' said Carlos Mainord, who coaches the Tech safeties. "The guy has done everything he needs to do to be the best player that he can be. He's been a great guy to coach and a great guy to work with, and I think he's very deserving of the honor.''

Two decades ago, in a previous stint on the Tech staff, Mainord coached a secondary that ranked among the best in the nation at pass defense. As a group, they were physical players who called themselves "The Hammerheads.''

With Slay around, it's been "Hammerhead, the Next Generation.''

Whether it was making a violent hit or just homing in to put his helmet on the football, Slay changed the momentum of games more than once with his forced fumbles. The Raiders were involved in a tight game against Kansas State early in the second half, but Slay caused two fumbles in the third quarter that sparked Tech to a 59-20 blowout.

A tight game against Texas A&M changed at the start of the third quarter when Slay knocked the ball free from an Aggies running back. Tech took it in, scored and went on to win 56-17.

One of Slays hits, on K-State's Allan Evridge, was so chilling that even Tech players sounded as if they felt sorry for the Wildcats' quarterback.

"I was trying to get off a block and I heard a boom. Everybody was like 'oooohhh,' '' Tech linebacker Fletcher Session said in a hushed tone.

Oddly enough, Slay swears causing fumbles was never part of his reputation - at Reedley (Calif.) College or in high school at Brunswick, Ga.

"Not a one. Not a one,'' he said. "Never caused a fumble until this year. Seriously. It's strange. I got one and said, maybe I can get another. They just kept coming, and guys around me helped me out.''

To be the conference defensive player of the year was a remarkable leap. Last year, his first at Tech, Slay was a valuable player on special teams but a backup safety.

Neither he nor Mainord, though, acted surprised by his ascension.

"Not really,'' Slay said. "I believe the things that I did last year for the team were pretty big. Although it was special teams, whenever I got a chance to get in there, I made something happen.''

Mainord, who spent a decade in the NFL before returning to Tech in 2004, says Slay puts in the preparation behind the scenes that will give him a chance to succeed at the next level. It showed just in the past 12 months.

"He got his feet on the ground last year and picked up the system,'' Mainord said. "Then last spring, he had a great spring, and he put it all into effect this fall. The guy is a hard-working, dedicated player. It's a tribute to him, the way he works and the way he prepares and the way he approaches games.''

That's all fine and well, but the one considered by most is the coaches vote (the ones that actually watch the game :)) was where Nick Reid won the award.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I saw him play three times this season and each time, he floored me with his instinct, aggression and nose for the ball. I see that many others know him much better than I do. Pleased to see that even the great Kiper is slow on the draw with this guy. To be fair, most other draft sites don't even have him rated, which is why I initially figured him to be late first day at best.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=631688#post631688
Huff will be go top 12-15. Not likely to fall after Combine, could climb higher. We have no shot at him. Slay, however, is right in our sweet spot. We'll just have to see how things play out.

zagnut

Reaction score
Slay has a great name. Only saw him 4 times. He's seemed to be great moving forward but kind of late most of the time. I'd take him over Keith Davis though. The vids posted show a vicious hitter but they also kind of show a guy who didn't recognize the play until the WR and QB were down field. The WR basically ran his route right into the Safety. Slay hardly had to move.

Personally, Kiper's early boards are usually so off they're useless beyond the top 5. They are created almost entirely without the benefit of talking to scouts, coaches, GMs, agents, etc. Kiper scouts the Scouts. Not so much the players.

jumanji

Reaction score
slay will not go 1st round. he will be a late 2nd, early 3rd pick. his speed just isn't there. huff will go mid-late 1st rd. huff fits what we need right now, but we also need oline and wr...an lb

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Did he rate him the highest Safety or the Highest Free Safety? I would not mind seeing First Team All-America Safety Mike Huff for the Longhorns wearing a star next year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Did he rate him the highest Safety or the Highest Free Safety? I would not mind seeing First Team All-America Safety Mike Huff for the Longhorns wearing a star next year.
I like Laron Landry from LSU.