Twitter: Eagles Barnett tried the drive-killing fake injury

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It isn't against the rules. The player does have to miss a play and it forces a timeout - real injury or not - with 2 minutes remaining.

We should be doing this.

I hate to agree with this, and I strongly feel the actions should result in match bans. However, as it is legal, I'm afraid we have to go to the level of taking dives like that. We wasted time outs when we could've been taking dives too. If Philly and the Packers can do this, then so can we. During the bye week, I want Garrett to bring Klopp from Liverpool or Frank Lampard from Chelsea in and teach the players how to dive. That being said, fake injuries in the Premier League do carry significant penalties if it is clear, obvious, and especially if it becomes constant.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Saw this and said the very exact thing... was just to ice the drive. pathetic and immature BS. NFL knows this crap goes on yet does nothing about it. Another snake team is Green Bay, arod and that bunch live off getting over on the rules... just makes one want to spew chilli chunks, mixed with beer, lots of beer, and peppers, no those wussy type, the really HOT peppers, and ice cream, a scoop or 2.... ok I'm done

Agreed. and, like the Premier League, to their credit, is trying to do, the NFL must crack down on it. In the Premier League, if you are clearly faking an injury, then you can get shown a yellow card for delaying the match. If it continues, then the offending player can be sent off. And, if the player is known for doing it, they can receive match bans for it. Perhaps the NFL should give it a go. Until then, I'm afraid we're going to have to try to learn how to do it and take dives when our players are fouled.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Limping off is different than stopping the game for medical personnel to come evaluate you. If the game has to be stopped then you’re out the rest of the drive.

It would also speed up the game.

Player gets a stinger, he doesn't necessarily know that it's just a stinger. He's going to stay on the field and medical personnel are going to come out. The pain may subside fairly quickly, making him available to come back into the game. it would be silly to keep him out just because some players fake injuries.

The game is overly complicated as is because the league has continually added rules to try to make it better. We do not need another one to further gum up the works.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
That would probably be the only way, but even then, you couldn't really question the player if he said he tweaked something, had a cramp, etc. It's pretty much impossible to tell someone they didn't have a pain if they said that they did ... and it can be dangerous because not all injuries can be instantly diagnosed.
You could also stop this when the same player keeps doing it if the player goes down a 2nd time to make him sit the rest of the series.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...y-face-bans-as-FA-crack-down-on-cheating.html

"
For a player to be banned for feigning injury, a red card shown to his opponent for violent conduct would first have to be rescinded.

If footage used to overturn the decision also demonstrates the apparent victim had deliberately sought to deceive the match officials, he or she will face a three-match ban.

Other incidents missed by officials also face being dealt with by a three-strong panel of former referees throughout the professional game after the FA decided to roll out the system nationally."

This is the policy of the FA (The Football Association in England that controls the Premier League, Championship, etc). These football laws were implemented in 2015 to crack down on fake injuries. These football laws should be adopted by the NFL to crackdown on cheats like Barnett and the Packers bloke. A 3 match ban can be very hefty in the Premier League. Imagine someone like Mo Salah for Liverpool getting cracked down on for that as Liverpool is battling Chelsea for the Premier League Title. Him getting a 3 match ban would be just about fatal for Liverpool. Now, with how violent the NFL is compared to the Premier League, a 1 match ban should suffice if it is really a blatant fake injury. If you know you're vital to your team and that you could face a ban for cheating like that, wouldn't you think twice before faking an injury?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep. I called it when I saw it. I think it was the packers did it multiple times even though they were winning. When we were moving the ball on them they would fake it. A few years ago the giants did it real bad. They would have multiple fall at the same time. Commentators would even laugh about it. Guess we should start doing it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Player gets a stinger, he doesn't necessarily know that it's just a stinger. He's going to stay on the field and medical personnel are going to come out. The pain may subside fairly quickly, making him available to come back into the game. it would be silly to keep him out just because some players fake injuries.

The game is overly complicated as is because the league has continually added rules to try to make it better. We do not need another one to further gum up the works.
It also makes players get properly evaluated rather than rushed over in appearance of the tent and then back on the field in 2 plays. Take the time to properly evaluate them.

conner01

Reaction score
Why not force an injured player to miss 3 plays or even 4? Would eliminate this type of thing largely and could be sold as a "safety" initiative.
It would be hard to penalize them because you can’t know if an injury is faked
But require more missed plays would be a perfect solution

pansophy

Reaction score
Why not force an injured player to miss 3 plays or even 4? Would eliminate this type of thing largely and could be sold as a "safety" initiative.
A lot of judgement involved in this, and if you start creating circumstances by which is becomes automatic the offense could start to game the system to force players to stay off the field longer than they need to after legit injuries.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It would be hard to penalize them because you can’t know if an injury is faked
But require more missed plays would be a perfect solution

Yes, it can be hard at times. But, why not, while the player is being helped off, have it reviewed by the doctor who checks for concussions in the booth to see if the injury is legitimate? If the player is truly feigning an injury, then caution him with an unsportsmanlike conduct call. If he does commit a feigned injury again, then send him off under the Unsportsmanlike conduct policy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's not illegal so we need to start doing it.

Agreed, until it becomes illegal, we need to take these sorts of activities and use them, I'm afraid. Rather than using timeouts, we can apparently take a dive to try and slow the momentum. So, it may be time to give it a whirl. Then, after the season, Jerry should suggest to the competition committee a rule to crack down on it. The rule that I posted that the FA uses would be a good place to start crafting a policy to crack down on it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Agreed, until it becomes illegal, we need to take these sorts of activities and use them, I'm afraid. Rather than using timeouts, we can apparently take a dive to try and slow the momentum. So, it may be time to give it a whirl. Then, after the season, Jerry should suggest to the competition committee a rule to crack down on it. The rule that I posted that the FA uses would be a good place to start crafting a policy to crack down on it.
I agree. Make the player sit out for two plays before he can come back in. Of course, then teams will designate the least valuable player to take a dive. Sigh.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yeah I was shaking my head on that...”the old fake the injury move..”.we had them on their heels and coming up to no huddle. It’s cheap,but players do that stuff and you just got to live with it till somethings addressed more to it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree. Make the player sit out for two plays before he can come back in. Of course, then teams will designate the least valuable player to take a dive. Sigh.

I'd say any injury must result in the player missing at least 3 plays. Essentially, a normal series. And, like I said, if the player clearly committed a dive, then send him off. Show him this:

stuart-atwell-red-card.jpg