Eagles CB Darius Slay seeking a trade

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
WOW - so many CZers weighing in on the Eagles' circumstances that could lead to a regression -- upcoming predicament -- predicting a
fall from contending status....versus what the Cowboys should do to be BETTER THAN THEM in 2023.
I’m going off based off an nfl twitter tab, I’m all for the better of the Cowboys like the recent 30 mil that got created.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I dont think that is accurate.

Because the Eagles have already restructured Slay's contract and kicked the can down the road once before, they have some dead money cap hits on the horizon no matter how it plays out. If you trade him, you're taking on $22,409,000 in dead money:
  1. If that trade is before June 1, you're taking the full $22,409,000 hit in 2023, but you would actually save $3,702,000 on his 2023 cap number of $26,111,000.
  2. If that trade is after June 1, you're taking on $8,611,000 in dead money in 2023, and $13,798,000 in 2024. The immediate savings on the 2023 cap would be $17.5 million, but if you receive draft pick compensation in return, it will be in 2024 and beyond, when the Eagles are already loaded with picks.
  3. If Slay plays out the final year of his contract in 2023 and is not brought back in 2024, he'll count for $13,798,000 in dead money in 2024.

Thanks for that breakdown my man.

ghst187

Reaction score
Some are already picking the Eagles as the NFC favorites again, thinking they can lose all of those free agency players and still be the dominant team of the NFC. If it was that easy, then we would be seeing teams who lose in the Super Bowl make it back the next season all of the time. Everything fell into place for the Eagles to get to the Super Bowl, by them having to just beat the Giants a 3rd time and then making a 49ers team who had no real QB. And there's no guaranteed that everything is going to be falling into place for them again next season. As on top of the NFC teams who already made the playoffs this season, who the Eagles have to overcome next season, there's always a surprise team from the NFC who didn't make the playoffs in the previous season.
Yep haven’t had a repeat division winner since like early 2000s…everyone was picking us to repeat this past year too…never fails

Proof

Reaction score
Right.
It won't be as easy in 2023. Though I do think the Eagles 1st place schedule as of now, looks easier than the Cowboy 2nd place schedule.

About half the teams making the playoffs are new teams each year for the NFL. Last year there were 7 new playoff teams.
Depending what TB does at QB, they will probably be out again. With the way the NFCE went last season, if Washington gets a QB, we could see all 4 teams in the playoffs. As it was close to that in 2022.

My repeat teams are Dallas, SF, Philly. Possibly NYG and Minnesota again. I will say a new team can be Detroit, and if the Saints get a QB. I will say one of those teams Minnesota or NYG will miss, and a surprise team will replace them.

I don't see much of a change from the AFC teams though. Not at this point. All way too early to say of course.
saints signed Carr.

Flamma

Reaction score
I dont think that is accurate.

Because the Eagles have already restructured Slay's contract and kicked the can down the road once before, they have some dead money cap hits on the horizon no matter how it plays out. If you trade him, you're taking on $22,409,000 in dead money:
  1. If that trade is before June 1, you're taking the full $22,409,000 hit in 2023, but you would actually save $3,702,000 on his 2023 cap number of $26,111,000.
  2. If that trade is after June 1, you're taking on $8,611,000 in dead money in 2023, and $13,798,000 in 2024. The immediate savings on the 2023 cap would be $17.5 million, but if you receive draft pick compensation in return, it will be in 2024 and beyond, when the Eagles are already loaded with picks.
  3. If Slay plays out the final year of his contract in 2023 and is not brought back in 2024, he'll count for $13,798,000 in dead money in 2024.
I see it. When I first looked I completely ignored the void years.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
They have a real Gm…same guy who took Reagor over Jefferson….thank goodness he’s real.
The same GM that got the Eagles a Super Bowl win in 2017 and an appearance in 2023.....and need we be reminded Dallas selected Lamb before Jefferson.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Same one that drafted JJ Artega Whiteside over DK Metcalf…..drafted Reagor over Jefferson…..traded 3 1st rounders for Wentz…..
And still pulled GM magic to overcome all that stuff.

Who is the better GM, the guy making superbowls after compensating for mistakes made, or the guy who makes fewer mistakes but still only settles in the divisional round?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Same one that drafted JJ Artega Whiteside over DK Metcalf…..drafted Reagor over Jefferson…..traded 3 1st rounders for Wentz…..
....and in spite of those miscues there are those 2 Super Bowl appearances since 2017.

Oh, and the same DK Metcalf drafted #64 overall in 2019 which saw Dallas select Trysten Hill #58 overall?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Read his quote on it. He wants to return to Philly, but “I love that money”……he wants them to give him more money to reduce this year’s cap hit.