Eagles claim Cortez!

SacredStar

Reaction score
Eagles | Cortez Signed Because of Kickoff Abilities
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:28:11 -0700

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have given indications that newly signed PK Jose Cortez will remain with the team even when injured PK David Akers returns to the team. The Eagles made the move because they believe that Cortez has a much stronger leg than PK Todd France, who struggled to get his kickoffs past the 10-yard line. By employing Cortez on kickoffs, the Eagles would make Akers' return from a torn hamstring less strenuous. 12 of Cortez's 34 kickoffs this season have gone into the end zone, and he has had five touchbacks. Nineteen of his kickoffs have been inside the 5-yard line, and all but six have been inside the 10.

Smith22

Reaction score
SacredStar said:
Eagles | Cortez Signed Because of Kickoff Abilities
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:28:11 -0700

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have given indications that newly signed PK Jose Cortez will remain with the team even when injured PK David Akers returns to the team. The Eagles made the move because they believe that Cortez has a much stronger leg than PK Todd France, who struggled to get his kickoffs past the 10-yard line. By employing Cortez on kickoffs, the Eagles would make Akers' return from a torn hamstring less strenuous. 12 of Cortez's 34 kickoffs this season have gone into the end zone, and he has had five touchbacks. Nineteen of his kickoffs have been inside the 5-yard line, and all but six have been inside the 10.

And at least 1 out of bounds.:p:

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
zagnut said:
Any opinion on Todd France in the short time he was with Philly?

Well ZN, it's like this ...The move surprised some. Others deemed it risky considering that Cortez's predecessor, rookie Todd France, had made six straight field goals. Cortez, meanwhile, comes in having hit 12-of-16 field goal attempts this season. However, he was also in a situation in which the Cowboys changed long snappers and weren't entirely confident in their holder.

I thought he was what we needed at the time because Akers was injured. I looked at his stats while he was with us -- they looked good. I can Only rely on Andy Reid's decision. Apparently Reid saw something or has Information that only the inner-circle of players/coaches and management had access to. Other than that, I just a surprised about the move.