Eagles close to acquiring Slay from Det

EJK24

Reaction score
Well this news about slay really sucks. Not that setting the market at corner is what we want to do but i feel like hes alot better then any corner we have on our roster at the moment.

I feel like when it comes to players salaries, especially during free agency, you have to go into it expecting to over pay to some degree. Like paying Quinn what he got seemed insane to me and I understand allowing him to walk but if you have to slightly overpay for a player that is a true difference maker, I think it makes sense to do it.

Cooper getting 20mill a year is alot but if you thought he was worth say 17-18mill, I feel like you pay the 20 and be done with it because it will be worth it.

I dont think you give that exception to every player or position but sometimes when you look at your other options, you realize you have to concede some.

That's my gripe with certain players we dont sign. I dont wanna give Clowney 20 mill a year but guys like Pierce, Joseph, Shelton, Chris Harris... they may have been worth their salary to improve this defense. Those are just a few names of guys I thought of but you get the idea.

There are also guys they may not have had any interest in at all regardless of cost but I gotta believe there had to be at least a couple they may have been interested in but decided the cost was too high.

There are still some good players out there that If we were to sign, they could fix some of the weaknesses we have right now so I dont want to assume we arent going to address needs yet.

Let's hope for some good news soon.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don’t like giving him more annually than Byron Jones. Why not just pay Jones more and hold onto the picks?

Jones was a 5 year deal, Slay is a 3 year deal. I have no doubt being burned by Maxwell is fresh in their memory.

Slay, while a higher AAV, likely gives the Eagles an opportunity to get out sooner than they would with Jones.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
so where's your Cooper stat that you intentionally left out ?...especially since Cooper vs Slade is the topic.
You can take away any wr in the league, especially if they're hurt. But if you let the other wrs eat you up for 35 points it didn't work.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Jones was a 5 year deal, Slay is a 3 year deal. I have no doubt being burned by Maxwell is fresh in their memory.

Slay, while a higher AAV, likely gives the Eagles an opportunity to get out sooner than they would with Jones.

Did hear Jones wanted to maximize his money and signing in MIA with no state income tax is a pretty big difference.

I wonder if 5 years was off the table in the Eagles and Jones negotiations.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Did hear Jones wanted to maximize his money and signing in MIA with no state income tax is a pretty big difference.

I wonder if 5 years was off the table in the Eagles and Jones negotiations.

how did you quote me? I didn’t write that

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Highest by AAV but it's a 3 year deal where I have little doubt Philly can pull a parachute at some point before he even sees that $50MM.

And pile up even more dead money for the future. Take a look at their roster, locked in, paying 3DT's top of the market money (for some reason) and as top heavy as it gets. Plenty of needs, zero depth, and now they're trading away much-needed draft picks to pay top of the market prices.

Be thankful your team isn't doing that.

Carson

Reaction score
And pile up even more dead money for the future. Take a look at their roster, locked in, paying 3DT's top of the market money (for some reason) and as top heavy as it gets. Plenty of needs, zero depth, and now they're trading away much-needed draft picks to pay top of the market prices.

Eagles laugh at the cap. They do as they please and get who they want

Sydla

Reaction score

There will be less dead money if they cut Slay after two years but had to cut Jones after 3 years, let's say. That's the point of the lower guaranteed money and the shorter contract.

In fact, I suspect that's why they took on Slay over Jones............... it doesn't carry as much contract pain against the cap if they have to pull he rip cord in the future.

They also had 10 picks in this draft, including two thirds. Even after this trade they have more picks than we do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys are focusing on the AAV. In terms of guaranteed money and years, Slay's contract is way easier to jettison from than Jones'.

So you give up 3rd and 5th round picks for a quick contract that you can quickly 'jettison'?

Does that sound like a smart move to you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be less dead money if they cut Slay after two years but had to cut Jones after 3 years, let's say. That's the point of the lower guaranteed money and the shorter contract.

In fact, I suspect that's why they took on Slay over Jones............... it doesn't carry as much contract pain against the cap if they have to pull he rip cord in the future.

If that's how you're going into this or any deal, you're already setting yourself up for failure. They just traded 3rd and 5th round picks to pay top of the market money and already you're looking for the door to get out of it?

Sydla

Reaction score
So you give up 3rd and 5th round picks for a quick contract that you can quickly 'jettison'?

Does that sound like a smart move to you?

Sure. When you have extra picks, dropping a few midround picks for a serious upgrade that won't kill your cap is precisely the thing I would be looking to do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys are focusing on the AAV. In terms of guaranteed money and years, Slay's contract is way easier to jettison from than Jones'.

So 'jettisoning' a player you just gave two picks to acquire two years later (while being on the hook for $30 million guaranteed in those two years) sounds smart to you?

You should look again.

Sydla

Reaction score
If that's how you're going into this or any deal, you're already setting yourself up for failure. They just traded 3rd and 5th round picks to pay top of the market money and already you're looking for the door to get out of it?

It's smart business to always look to structure contracts to give yourself an out. We just did it with Cooper and his contract. Because we structured Cooper the way we did, are you saying it's a failure?

quickccc

Reaction score
You can take away any wr in the league, especially if they're hurt. But if you let the other wrs eat you up for 35 points it didn't work.

so cooper was hurt every time he played a top notch coverage CB, but he plays like he's fully healthy vs the weaker sistas
and the irony is that has happened at both Oakland and now Dallas.

and that is what is going to take when Coop does face a top CB ...others will have to step up (gallup, sanders? jarwin)
when Amari is cancelled out against that kind of competition - which alt he more doesn't justify his record- breaking contract re-signing. :confused: