Eagles close to acquiring Slay from Det

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure. When you have extra picks, dropping a few midround picks for a serious upgrade that won't kill your cap is precisely the thing I would be looking to do.

Top of the market money is exactly what does 'kill your cap'. You can't have this thing both ways. It was not a smart decision and I'm glad it wasn't us.

Sydla

Reaction score
So 'jettisoning' a player you just gave two picks to acquire two years later (while being on the hook for $30 million guaranteed in those two years) sounds smart to you?

You should look again.

It does because again, the Eagles had two third rounders, 10 picks overall. So they still have a plethora of draft picks, they added a good CB and they got him on a contract that allows them to get out if he turns out to be a bum.

I think you are letting your anti-Eagles bias get to you here. What Philly did was a good deal and if the Cowboys did something similar, I would totally agree with the move.

Sydla

Reaction score
Top of the market money is exactly what does 'kill your cap'. You can't have this thing both ways. It was not a smart decision and I'm glad it wasn't us.

How is it killing their cap? They can afford him this year and next year and they probably can get out from the deal after two years with minimal dead money.

Stop focusing on the AAV. It's meaningless.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's smart business to always look to structure contracts to give yourself an out. We just did it with Cooper and his contract. Because we structured Cooper the way we did, are you saying it's a failure?

We didn't just give up draft picks to do it like the Eagles did. Dallas paid more initially but they also got a year and a half out of the player ahead of this year as well. At least part of that time at a huge discount. Where' the Eagles 'discount' here? There is none.

They're paying from the jump.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it killing their cap? They can afford him this year and next year and they probably can get out from the deal after two years with minimal dead money.

Stop focusing on the AAV. It's meaningless.

Have you seen their roster? Clearly not. Stop focusing on one player.

Sydla

Reaction score
We didn't just give up draft picks to do it like the Eagles did. Dallas paid more initially but they also got a year and a half out of the player ahead of this year as well. At least part of that time at a huge discount. Where' the Eagles 'discount' here? There is none.

They're paying from the jump.

You are overvaluing a 3rd and 5th round pick, especially when they had two.

They didn't hinder themselves in the draft, they got much better at a position of critical need, and they signed the guy to a contract that doesn't carry any significant long term pain beyond two years.

How that isn't a win is bizarre.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
seems an odd game for this guy to call Dak horrible after he threw for 444 yards and 3 touchdowns
lol - yep. And at the same time ignoring that while Cooper didn't have much of a game, Gallup had 148 yards, and Cobb had 115 yards, and Jarwin and Witten combined for 71 yards. I'm cool with teams working that hard to stop Cooper if it opens up everyone else.

Sydla

Reaction score
Have you seen their roster? Clearly not. Stop focusing on one player.

I have.

They have older players but they also have 8 picks still in this draft to start getting younger and they aren't totally in cap hell. They just added an older, but still good player, that they can't send to the moon by age 31 if he ends up sucking.

I don't see the huge issues they are having that you do. In fact, I suspect they will again be in contention for the division.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does because again, the Eagles had two third rounders, 10 picks overall. So they still have a plethora of draft picks, they added a good CB and they got him on a contract that allows them to get out if he turns out to be a bum.

They 'get out' after two years, with dead money on their cap. If that's what you're already looking for in any deal, it's already a failure.

I think you are letting your anti-Eagles bias get to you here.

More like you letting love for one player get to you. This was in no way a 'good deal'.

What Philly did was a good deal and if the Cowboys did something similar, I would totally agree with the move.

And I would totally disagree with it, because it was stupid, reckless, and shortsighted.

Unlike you, I've actually looked at their roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have.

They have older players but they also have 8 picks still in this draft to start getting younger and they aren't totally in cap hell. They just added an older, but still good player, that they can't send to the moon by age 31 if he ends up sucking.

Who's their left tackle? Dillard? How about their receivers, since they somehow passed on the opportunity to trade for Hopkins, arguably the league's best? Are they going to trot Jeffery and Jackson out there again and 'hope for the best'? That went well last year.

They now have more and more holes and just gave up draft picks and a ton of money to fill one spot. That's dumb.

I don't see the huge issues they are having that you do.

Clearly you need to look closer.

In fact, I suspect they will again be in contention for the division.

And that's worth mortgaging their future? To be 'in contention' for the worst division in the league? Thank goodness for low expectations.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are overvaluing a 3rd and 5th round pick, especially when they had two.

They didn't hinder themselves in the draft, they got much better at a position of critical need, and they signed the guy to a contract that doesn't carry any significant long term pain beyond two years.

How that isn't a win is bizarre.

While you're overvaluing 'all those picks' they have after the 3rd and 5th rounds? They have a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round. They just gave up the good one. Two of those other picks are compensatory 4ths at the end of that round.

So while downplaying the original picks in the rounds that they gave up, you'll try to talk up these? Good luck.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There's a reason the Eagles have a Super Bowl victory recently and we don't.

Take jabs at them all you want, folks. They're better than us.

Carson

Reaction score
There's a reason the Eagles have a Super Bowl victory recently and we don't.

Take jabs at them all you want, folks. They're better than us.

They were better that year for sure.

Now it’s arguing which turd is polished more nicely.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who's their left tackle? Dillard? How about their receivers, since they somehow passed on the opportunity to trade for Hopkins, arguably the league's best? Are they going to trot Jeffery and Jackson out there again and 'hope for the best'? That went well last year.

They now have more and more holes and just gave up draft picks and a ton of money to fill one spot. That's dumb.

Clearly you need to look closer.

And that's worth mortgaging their future? To be 'in contention' for the worst division in the league? Thank goodness for low expectations.

Mortgaging their future. By trading a 3rd and 5th round pick?

Hahaha. I give up.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Rapport just reported it is a done deal and the Eagles are making him one of the highest paid CB.