Twitter: Eagles players anonymously calling their offense "very predictable." Mentions Cowboys playcalling in comparison

Flamma

Reaction score
Tommy Cutlets will beat the Eagles at least once !!!
That would be great. He has that entire team and fanbase fired up. We need the most motivated Giants team going up against the Eagles.

Flamma

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the Eagles changed up their offense from last year. The probably don't want Hurts taking as many hits. But that's what made their offense as good as it was.

Last year they ran an RPO run heavy offense that included the QB. That's what made their run game. We saw this in 2019 with Lamar Jackson. Then when defenses were up to slow down the run, Hurts would throw quick passes. This year we're seeing a more traditional approach with some Hurts runs and scrambles mixed in. Hurts upside was never throwing into coverage. It was to chip at you with the run to create and 2nd or 3rd and short. The Eagles roster and QB are built well for this. But they're getting away from that.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Shaq Leonard's Agent calling Jerry from the locker room Sunday Night.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm surprised a lot more teams don't run a WCO
Since OC Brian Schottehemeir is a product of the Time Based Rhythm offense tree (ala Garrett, Kellen)
and we saw a remarkable much more emphasis on timing patterns and a vertical push on the ball, I would
suggest McCarthy in heavy response and criticism to his previous Dink n Dunk Tex Coast offense, in the earlier
part of the regular season, added more of a blend of Schott's Rhythm-Time offense to his own WCO, .....adding much more involvement of speedy Cooks, which seem to spawn a much more effective and aggressive passing offense.

In short, i think it depends which and what version of the West Coast offense teams decide to use.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/...n-the-ball-get-coffee-instead#google_vignette

And that has fans not just clamoring for more rushing mixed into the game plans, but outright demanding it by showing up to the Eagles' facility Wednesday with signs reading 'run the ball'.

"We gave them coffee," Philadelphia coach Nick Sirianni said, laughing about the presence of run-game advocates showing up on his team's doorstep. "I love our fans. I love their passion and their energy. That's not the first time I've heard 'run the ball'.

You know what, we do need to continue to try to run the ball...and I appreciate their energy because I know that same energy of those guys sitting out there this morning when I drove in, they're going to have that same energy when they're cheering us on in the stadium and I'm thankful and grateful for that."

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/...n-the-ball-get-coffee-instead#google_vignette

And that has fans not just clamoring for more rushing mixed into the game plans, but outright demanding it by showing up to the Eagles' facility Wednesday with signs reading 'run the ball'.

"We gave them coffee," Philadelphia coach Nick Sirianni said, laughing about the presence of run-game advocates showing up on his team's doorstep. "I love our fans. I love their passion and their energy. That's not the first time I've heard 'run the ball'.

You know what, we do need to continue to try to run the ball...and I appreciate their energy because I know that same energy of those guys sitting out there this morning when I drove in, they're going to have that same energy when they're cheering us on in the stadium and I'm thankful and grateful for that."
run-the-ball.webp

NickZepp

Reaction score
Eagles started out on a pretty easy schedule the first 8 weeks. They've suddenly played some better defenses and now they look bad on offense. I got a feeling that may turn around the final few weeks although Seattle won't be an easy game coming up. There are some issues with the Eagles on offense. They have like no depth at receiver. Running back play is hit or miss. The real problems with the Eagles are scheme on defense. They have a lot guys you would want on that defense but they aren't coached or schemed well there.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Hurts is kind of Dak-ish, in that running and mobility make up a part of his game, and he looks much worse when he's deprived of it.

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. QB scrambles stress a defense SO MUCH. They can nullify pass rush wins. They create extra time for receivers to separate. They open windows that DBs had originally covered and closed. They can pick up yardage on their own. And for designed RPOs, they instantly slant the blocking numbers-game the offense's way.

It's a game breaker. The defense can have your playcall beat, and you can still trump them if your QB can run. The best QBs running the most explosive offenses in the league almost all run now, and the Manning, Brady type pocket statues are becoming a thing of the past.

Anyway, it is no coincidence that the Eagles' 3 losses have come in Hurts' 4 games with the lowest rushing attempts. He's just not that great as a pure pocket passer, and a lot of his value is tied in with his athleticism as a runner. Hurts is a dangerous player when he can escape a sack, threaten to run, and then bomb one downfield to Smith. He's much more ordinary when he just takes a short drop and locks on to Smith as his first read.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I definitely think Pollard is best when he is splitting carries. I'm not as down on him this season as others have been - first half of the season was as bad run blocking as I've seen from the Cowboys in a long time and this game they were actually getting push.
I think Pollard and Rico both have excellent vision, burst and provide enough uniqueness that it's hard for the LBers to get a great read. I think getting Pollard 12-15 and Dowdle 10 or so carries a game is an excellent mix.
The players are getting coached up as well. Never seen Pollard do the kind of running he had this last game. Good scheme and good blocking helps.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
We will have to work on the run game this off season for sure, get a better RB and help with the blocking schemes.