Eagles re-sign Jalen Hurts

Redline360

Reaction score
This quarterback market is beyond crazy. Honestly feel it's going to come to a breaking point soon.

I am highly against paying people based upon one break out year in any position. He has improved yearly and did take them to the superbowl however was it an outlier playing behind the best OL in football and stout offense support. Would have waited to see his last year on his rookie contract.

Beyond lunacy

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Eagles are somehow now projected to be 100 million under the cap next year.
The salary cap usually benefits from large contracts the first couple of years.

Teams can also push it down the road again with someone that's a franchise player like your quarterback, but ultimately it catches up to you and you have to deal with it.

Personally, I would dedicate a year every 4-5 years to "fixing the cap situation" which would allow teams to trade veterans for draft picks, release high salary (for that season) veterns, then have a bad season to get a high draft pick and come back strong the next season with big free agent signings and draft picks.

That is the best strategy for the current NFL salary cap system. It is not great for fans every year though as it only creates short windows for success, but if your coaching and front office are good you can make a Super Bowl run every 3-4 years which fans would appreciate if that happens regularly.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts is a class act. I think they have a 2-3 year window with him and that running game. Because I don't think he's a good QB. But wait until we see what Burrow and Herbert get!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Once again underscoring how crazy the QB market is. Surely fans understand that the scarcity of QB talent in this league is dictating market prices. Not what QBs have acccomplished.
And yet 3 of 4 QBs were on rookie deals in the final 4 games and the QB who won is the greatest of all time.

By all means keep paying these guys though.

To me it screams that teams would rather maintain relevancy than actually compete for Superbowls.

Competing for and winning Superbowls is not paying guys like Dak Prescott and Jalen Hurts.

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
$50 million per year for a guy that requires an offense be built around protecting his very pronounced weaknesses

Yikes
He threw the ball well this season if you are referring to that.

But regardless it’s a big deal he was going to get from someone let’s hope it brings them down to earth a bit in terms of cap management and maybe we can take an advantage before we have to extend our quarterback who also requires the perfect team around him…