Twitter: Eagles request to interview Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Moore is not dumb and they're not dumb enough to think they're going to get any inside info on the Cowboys when he's interviewing for the Eagles job.

Besides that, I don't think they're interested in the Cowboys. Lurie is looking for someone to fix Wentz. That's why he would want Moore.

They would love learn what his preferences are in terms of his offensive leanings. I know Wentz is very intent upon going elsewhere, if he can. There's doubts whether or not Kellen could change Wentz's failings, seeing as how many of them should have already been resolved by now. Aside from that, Kellen might wisely decline that interview. Philly is far from an ideal place to expect longevity. His chances for success in Dallas are far better, imho.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
if the eagles are as transfixed on wentz as it appears, it more than likely they will try and deal hurts for some kind of mega deal. he's certainly proven himself to be quite capable. and they can keep sudfeld as their backup. jalen's easily worth a first round pick to some team in need of a top qb. they're stuck with wentz due to cap problems. they've dug themselves a deep hole, but hurts offers some relief for the wentz deal. if that's the case, pretty good damage control.

ESisback

Reaction score
No intent, merely making an observation. The NFL has denigrated and college has improved and you are seeing the proof in the NFL adopting a lot more college ball than the reverse.

My point was about coaches, I do not see a big difference between the NFL and college coaching level. If they're so much better than college, why are 20-25% of them getting fired every year, EVERY YEAR. Got 7 this year and before this season kicks off, you will see the hot seat list with at least 6 on it and probably McC on it.

I am not saying teams with 18-23 year olds can compete with teams with 24-30 year olds on them but the coaches can.

Do you think the NFL is as good as it was 5, 10, 15 years ago? It's more about individuals showing off and photo ops than the game of football. They train year round and the injuries just keep increasing. It was one thing for the owners to run with the ball that this is more about entertainment but the players went along with that. Arrogant Rodgers looks like he's posing for a close up on a soap opera rather than playing football.

IMHO, the NFL has denigrated ENORMOUSLY in the last ten years. It could be argued that the college game has too, just not as much.

The way I see it, traditional college ball has become quaint. Far too many blue chippers couldn’t care less about higher education—they want the quickest easiest path to NFL fame and fortune. Arrogant high schoolers send out professionally produced videos, highlighting their own greatness. They expect to jump immediately into the starting lineup, play a year, maybe two, then land millions in the NFL. Too many don’t care about degrees, tradition, loyalty, mentoring, etc. The most successful “schools” are all about the Benjamins. The NFL is far worse—underqualified and impatient owners and GMs go through coaches like toilet paper at a diarrhea seminar, trying to protect their insane profits by appeasing even more impatient and delusional fans. The Super Bowl “genius” from 2 years ago swallowed a bottle of stupid pills, and the Goldenboy QB needs to be shipped to Indonesia to pursue an Amway sales career. Endless injury, litigation and contract squabbles over ridiculous money, too many rule changes and commercials, horrible officiating—the list is endless. Entitlement on an epic scale, and with everything going on in the world now, people are seeing the incredible disparity between meaningful and meaningless.

Now I need a Tylenol. And a couple of drinks. Say something funny, PLEASE! CC? Street? Capn? Risen?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No intent, merely making an observation. The NFL has denigrated and college has improved and you are seeing the proof in the NFL adopting a lot more college ball than the reverse.

My point was about coaches, I do not see a big difference between the NFL and college coaching level. If they're so much better than college, why are 20-25% of them getting fired every year, EVERY YEAR. Got 7 this year and before this season kicks off, you will see the hot seat list with at least 6 on it and probably McC on it.

I am not saying teams with 18-23 year olds can compete with teams with 24-30 year olds on them but the coaches can.

Do you think the NFL is as good as it was 5, 10, 15 years ago? It's more about individuals showing off and photo ops than the game of football. They train year round and the injuries just keep increasing. It was one thing for the owners to run with the ball that this is more about entertainment but the players went along with that. Arrogant Rodgers looks like he's posing for a close up on a soap opera rather than playing football.
Oh ok . It’s more about coaching. Well, I can agree.

I think there’s more security in the College ranks now especially the big schools once you’ve had some success . And the NFL is not the lure it used to be because of lack of security in NFL as you correctly pointed out and the money is similar with the big schools as NFL.

But the top coaches in the NFL Id still consider the cream of the crop and put them up against any of the greats in College right now. But like you said there’s a consistent turnover once you fall below this more esteem level. As there also is at the college level while probably not as much.

Now as far as the cause of this high turnover at the Pros we’ve seen this era , I think there’s probably multiple factors. One being there just isn’t enough quality coaches to go around with so many in college ranks staying put. And I also think franchises see how in Cap era how a new coach can turn the tide immediately with a couple good drafts . Drafts have never been more critical for teams to infuse talent every year without being able to hold onto Elite talent. While a couple good drafts can turn the tide, a couple bad drafts can go the other way.

I think this lack of top quality coaches is what’s been driving this youth movement to broaden the pool. It’s creating more opportunities. And those who have a good young QB to work with on Rookie contract and a couple good drafts can again turn the tide. And if you choose poorly for your QB and in the draft , it can turn the other way too.

Look at all of the up and coming teams. They have chosen the QB well and hit in the draft. It’s still all about the talent. And the coaches with the best eye are going to succeed.

And the league isn’t as great cause he Cap has watered down the talent pool. There is still cream at the top but not as much under the hood. But the talent at the top is still great. They just do not have the pressure to consistently perform with little depth to challenge their position. Only an injury can threaten them. Or a new contract.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wednesday: Panthers OC Joe Brady.

Thursday: 49ers DC Robert Saleh (hired by Jets), Titans OC Arthur Smith (Falcons reportedly made offer).

Friday: Patriots LBs Jared Mayo (a.m.), Eagles RBs/Asst. HC Duce Staley (p.m.).

— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) January 15, 2021

The Philadelphia Eagles are set to interview Duce Staley for their vacant head coaching position down in Palm Beach, Florida.

Staley is scheduled to meet with owner Jeff Lurie, general manager Howie Roseman, team president Don Smolenski and others.

Staley recently interviewed for the Eagles offensive coordinator job in 2018 and 2020.

Staley joins Robert Saleh, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith as coaches who have interviewed this week, and Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo is expected to interview on Friday morning.

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-interviewing-duce-staley-head-154355772.html

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
if the eagles are as transfixed on wentz as it appears, it more than likely they will try and deal hurts for some kind of mega deal. he's certainly proven himself to be quite capable. and they can keep sudfeld as their backup. jalen's easily worth a first round pick to some team in need of a top qb. they're stuck with wentz due to cap problems. they've dug themselves a deep hole, but hurts offers some relief for the wentz deal. if that's the case, pretty good damage control.

Here's another way of looking at it. Hurts payed on the 1st year of a 4 year rookie contract so little cap hit. The eagles already know what Hurts can do so they won't trade him and keep him in case Wentz's reclamation doesn't happen and in 2 or 3 years his contract won't be a problem to trade or release him. Teams are always looking for good and cheap backup QB's and they have one and won't be in a hurry to trade that away.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with some of what you said, but I think you're giving college ball a little to much credit for shaping how the NFL plays now. The biggest change has been the increase in passing and a large part of that is due not because of college ball, but because the NFL has changed the rules to a large extent that hinders how defenders can cover receivers and helps the passing game and teams started to take advantage of those rule changes. Teams used to run to open up the passing game and now they pass because of those rules to open up the running game. But I do agree with you that there are some really good coaches in college ball that would be coaches in the NFL and colleges don't fire their head coaches anywhere close to the way NFL teams do.
The top schools don’t fire their coaches as often but I bet if we look down thru all of the 300+ Div 1 schools we’d see more turnover than in Big 5 conferences.

But it takes longer to turn around a college program based on recruiting . In the NFL with a couple good drafts with access to the same level of talent are able for faster turn arounds.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh ok . It’s more about coaching. Well, I can agree.

I think there’s more security in the College ranks now especially the big schools once you’ve had some success . And the NFL is not the lure it used to be because of lack of security in NFL as you correctly pointed out and the money is similar with the big schools as NFL.

But the top coaches in the NFL Id still consider the cream of the crop and put them up against any of the greats in College right now. But like you said there’s a consistent turnover once you fall below this more esteem level. As there also is at the college level while probably not as much.

Now as far as the cause of this high turnover at the Pros we’ve seen this era , I think there’s probably multiple factors. One being there just isn’t enough quality coaches to go around with so many in college ranks staying put. And I also think franchises see how in Cap era how a new coach can turn the tide immediately with a couple good drafts . Drafts have never been more critical for teams to infuse talent every year without being able to hold onto Elite talent. While a couple good drafts can turn the tide, a couple bad drafts can go the other way.

I think this lack of top quality coaches is what’s been driving this youth movement to broaden the pool. It’s creating more opportunities. And those who have a good young QB to work with on Rookie contract and a couple good drafts can again turn the tide. And if you choose poorly for your QB and in the draft , it can turn the other way too.

Look at all of the up and coming teams. They have chosen the QB well and hit in the draft. It’s still all about the talent. And the coaches with the best eye are going to succeed.

And the league isn’t as great cause he Cap has watered down the talent pool. There is still cream at the top but not as much under the hood. But the talent at the top is still great. They just do not have the pressure to consistently perform with little depth to challenge their position. Only an injury can threaten them. Or a new contract.

Some of what you said is true but I think the biggest reason why we don't see more dynasties in the NFL is as soon as a team starts to get better more and more of their players think at least to themselves that they were a major reason and start demanding more money and because of that cap, teams can't keep all the players so once winning teams get watered down with the loss of some star players and the next team comes up and the process continues. There's only been one team in the cap era that has managed to stay relevant for many consecutive years and that's the patriots. They just fell 1 year short of tying Landry's and the Cowboys record of 20 straight winning seasons.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would love learn what his preferences are in terms of his offensive leanings. I know Wentz is very intent upon going elsewhere, if he can. There's doubts whether or not Kellen could change Wentz's failings, seeing as how many of them should have already been resolved by now. Aside from that, Kellen might wisely decline that interview. Philly is far from an ideal place to expect longevity. His chances for success in Dallas are far better, imho.
I agree and they just fired the only coach to ever deliver a ring over the QB. This sounds like Jimmy McGinty in "The Replacements".

Moore might decline to interview but if he did and he took the job and he did salvage Wentz, he's a 10M HC in the waiting.

The question is will Booger do what he did with Garrett when this happened? He upped Garrett to 3M for the OC gig when he was thinking of leaving.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IMHO, the NFL has denigrated ENORMOUSLY in the last ten years. It could be argued that the college game has too, just not as much.

The way I see it, traditional college ball has become quaint. Far too many blue chippers couldn’t care less about higher education—they want the quickest easiest path to NFL fame and fortune. Arrogant high schoolers send out professionally produced videos, highlighting their own greatness. They expect to jump immediately into the starting lineup, play a year, maybe two, then land millions in the NFL. Too many don’t care about degrees, tradition, loyalty, mentoring, etc. The most successful “schools” are all about the Benjamins. The NFL is far worse—underqualified and impatient owners and GMs go through coaches like toilet paper at a diarrhea seminar, trying to protect their insane profits by appeasing even more impatient and delusional fans. The Super Bowl “genius” from 2 years ago swallowed a bottle of stupid pills, and the Goldenboy QB needs to be shipped to Indonesia to pursue an Amway sales career. Endless injury, litigation and contract squabbles over ridiculous money, too many rule changes and commercials, horrible officiating—the list is endless. Entitlement on an epic scale, and with everything going on in the world now, people are seeing the incredible disparity between meaningful and meaningless.

Now I need a Tylenol. And a couple of drinks. Say something funny, PLEASE! CC? Street? Capn? Risen?
The problem is the talent in college is reduced to the most Elite schools in Power 5 conferences who can stockpile the talent.

Imagine if we had recruiting in the NFL instead of a draft. And players could choose where they wanted to go. Lol

The Final 4 in NCAA has basically come down to a handful of schools. And absolutely a handful of conferences.

The NFL on the other hand is still pretty wide open. On the most part the teams with the best QB and HC remain on top with few exceptions until a new QB and or HC break thru.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree and they just fired the only coach to ever deliver a ring over the QB. This sounds like Jimmy McGinty in "The Replacements".

Moore might decline to interview but if he did and he took the job and he did salvage Wentz, he's a 10M HC in the waiting.

The question is will Booger do what he did with Garrett when this happened? He upped Garrett to 3M for the OC gig when he was thinking of leaving.
I’d argue Pedersen was fired cause he made a huge mistake with their QB. What a mess Egirls are in with Wentz and his contract.

Garrett situation was unique. He was hired in as “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys”. And only reason I believe Jason stayed. Plus his loyal and history was with the Cowboys.

That is IMO the only way he can retain Moore. He will need to make a similar statement to secure Moores future here. Which I’m not sure he’s prepared to do.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The top schools don’t fire their coaches as often but I bet if we look down thru all of the 300+ Div 1 schools we’d see more turnover than in Big 5 conferences.

But it takes longer to turn around a college program based on recruiting . In the NFL with a couple good drafts with access to the same level of talent are able for faster turn arounds.

College ball has a distinct big advantage over the NFL. The NFL teams have an order on when they get to pick. In college they are free to try to convince any players anytime they want to go to their schools. The better the program the better the chances they get the players their trying to get. The bad thing for college ball is they only get to keep the really good ones for 3 seasons, 2 if they red shirted as a freshman.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A lot of the turnover in college is coaches moving up, not out. If a HC is performing well enough at a big school, he has to pull something like Meyer, Briles, Paterno or Petrino to get canned. Stoops got crossways with a well healed alum over the Mixon handling and that cost him his job.

Then there's the Texas job, the worst booster situation in the NCAA. Sarkisian has no idea what's in store for him the first time he ruffles feathers. As a Hog, I lap this stuff up like a fat cat at a dairy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

There's only 127 division 1 football teams, not 300 plus. There isn't as much turnover on head coaches in schools not in the top 5 conferences as you think there is because they know it's much harder to get qualified coaches to come to a smaller school.

dfense

Reaction score
Here's, yet, another slant to this thing -- I can't help but wonder if Philly is just attempting to pick Moore's brain to steal info from us! All of this could easily be just a trick to spy on us, with no real intention of granting KM a head coaching position. Trusting an enemy is risky business! ;)
So let me get this straight. You think Moore will tell the Eagles his game plan on how he would beat them when they meet? Seriously? Would they like loosen him up with drinks first or something? Snicker snicker

Status
Not open for further replies.