Eagles resign Tim Jernigan

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
And a pretty bad one. No magic will save them from themselves.
Sometimes a magician will get lucky though and actually pull a rabbit out of the hat and win a SB.
The magic luck is gone.

Better to be lucky than good

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yep it was still on the books. My comment was more about how Howie is kicking the can down the road and how his decisions impact the cap going forward. IIRC Howie traded a 3rd pick for Jernigan 2 yrs ago. So Howie ultimate create $6M in dead cap space and lost a 3rd pick. The fact they resigned him for cheap does not erase the previous trade that ultimately created negative cap space.

We swapped 3’s. So he cost us 25 slots in the third round

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The rich get richer? Since when is the Egals franchise richer than the Dallas Cowboys?! Boy wonder Wentz has yet to beat the Cowboys. He's the one that needs to stay healthy productive. :lmao:

He’s beaten the cowboys twice, end of 2016 and he blew Dak out in 2017.

And the eagles have been richer than the cowboys since 2000.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There is a reason Jernigan was available this entire time and is signing a very small 1 year deal.

My guess is, there are still questions about how far back he can come from the injury.

Maybe he will return to form, maybe not...... not exactly worth panicking over.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Not sure how you figure negative cap space. It was initially a 4yr 48 million contract which is 12 million a year. Yes we do have 6 million in dead money, and if I have his new 1yr deal correct, at 3 million, we saved another 3 million, genius. Also we never lost a 3rd pick for jernigan, we exchanged a high 3rd pick (#77) for a low 3rd pick (#94) and jernigan. Guys a beast when healthy, made a huge impact when he played.

There is still $6M in dead cap space.
We swapped 3’s. So he cost us 25 slots in the third round

Jernigan cost the Birds 25 slots and $6M in dead cap space. Birds have $11.5M in dead space this year. Most of the DBs suck and that money would go a long way fixing that. Plus the roster is filled with old players and it is just a matter of time before more aging and or injured players get cut increasing the dead cap space.

ksg811

Reaction score
Yep it was still on the books. My comment was more about how Howie is kicking the can down the road and how his decisions impact the cap going forward. IIRC Howie traded a 3rd pick for Jernigan 2 yrs ago. So Howie ultimate create $6M in dead cap space and lost a 3rd pick. The fact they resigned him for cheap does not erase the previous trade that ultimately created negative cap space.

You're looking at it incorrectly, as if all dead money is a boogeyman. Jernigan originally had $13M cap hit for this season. By declining his option, they ate $6M in dead money and saved $7M. They re-signed to a presumably cheap deal, so even with the dead money, they still save money on the cap while retaining the player for this year and clearing his $28M over the next 2 seasons.
They took his 3/41 remaining and turned it into a 1 year deal, presumably under $10M (figures are Cap, not cash.) This was a brilliant move by Roseman.

Last edited:

Fwed

Reaction score
It’s more so based on the fact, they had little to no cap room and signed whomever they wanted effortlessly. I’m sure it’s a minor contract.
They actually have more space right now than most teams. Went extension imminent

Fwed

Reaction score

Jernigan cost the Birds 25 slots and $6M in dead cap space. Birds have $11.5M in dead space this year. Most of the DBs suck and that money would go a long way fixing that. Plus the roster is filled with old players and it is just a matter of time before more aging and or injured players get cut increasing the dead cap space.
? There is 6m of space no matter what. Not sure how that us relevant.

Fwed

Reaction score
And a pretty bad one. No magic will save them from themselves.
Sometimes a magician will get lucky though and actually pull a rabbit out of the hat and win a SB.
The magic luck is gone.
Lol yeah all luck.

Jipper

Reaction score
It amazes me how we struggle with the cap yet certain other teams know exactly how to manipulate it to their benefit.

I know Night has alluded to this as well

We’re not struggling with the cap....we are actually able to resign our guys and don’t have a ton of funny money or dead cap in the future...we are being very smart with our dollars...love it or hate it that’s where we are with Stephen Jones

Fwed

Reaction score
You’re not fooling anyone.

And what analysis do you want on a fringe player who might not even make it out of camp? Jernigan is no good. End of story. Why you’d come here crowing about that, I don’t really know.
He as very good pre injury...not sure now.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

We have 20 million in free space still. So it’s a good year to eat 11 million in dead money with the crazy amount of space we had. Then it’ll be off the books for next year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was there anyway. If they in fact got him back for cheap, it's still to their credit.

While "we like our guys". Who got run over for 278 yards in the playoffs...

:facepalm:

The Cowboys should get an exemption that allows them to have a 500 man roster with only 53 counting against the cap.

Then they could sign all free agents...

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Cool, maybe the Eagles can use all their coveted "space" to suck again just like they did last year. Dallas didn't have much "space", but they used what little they did to buy a broom and sweep the Eagles.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
No, but it certainly mitigates the negative impact overall. They now still have the player and they've added Malik Jackson as well. They may be "kicking the can" especially in light of paying Carson Wentz in the near future, but they're going for it and already have one Super Bowl championship. His strategy has paid off.
And here's to another 60 years before the eagles win another SB. I will be dead so it will not matter. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys should get an exemption that allows them to have a 500 man roster with only 53 counting against the cap.

Then they could sign all free agents...

Or they could continue to treat defensive tackle like a complete afterthought and invest nothing into it? Their results have been 'great' doing that so far...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's nice. And well draft a good rb to back up Zeke, maybe another wr to add to our already deep wr core. Let's see the Sheagle's d cover all our offensive weapons.
I can groove to the sound of that tune yer' laying down there incarnation of Jim M.,,, but ya' know there Mister '_break on thru' to the 'L.A. Woman' just so she can 'love you two times' till you fully realize it's ' The End' cuz' yer' just gonna make her
'Run with me' while yer'mucking around being just another 'Riders of the Storm' kinda' guy that CANNOT SEEM TO FULLY APPRECIATE THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THE #4 NEEDS AN EXTRA SUPERLATIVE OFFENSIVE FRONT LINE AT ALL TIMES in order to fully utilize & bring to bare upon the face of our opponent's defensive array the currently savvy(#82)& highly mobile(#19/#13) potent offensive strike force potential he's ALREADY BEEN GIFTED WITHo_O

*Man Alive, if his O.L. turns 'wormy' midway thru the season due to injury?,,, ain't drafting no extra wide receiver gonna help shore up his collapsing forward edge,,,er,,,of panic modeo_O

Last edited:

sandbridge77

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Taco has to do with my analysis of the Eagles DLine. Barnett should be better since he was taken 14 picks higher in the 1st round. The Eagles starting DEs will most likely be Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett this year. Would you rather have those 2 or Demarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn? Derek Barnett's 7.5 sacks over 21 games equates to 5.7 sacks over a 16 game season. Randy Gregory had 6.5 sacks last year. Derek Barnett has not done too much considering he was drafted 14th overall. Right now you could say that there were several players picked after Barnett that have been more productive. Jonathan Allen, Takkarist McKinley, TJ Watt.

Watt and McKinley both linebackers in a different systems. Is Randy Gregory someone to be feared with his 6.5 sack verses Barnett's 5.7? Somehow that not all that D line managed more sacks than Dallas last year with a secondary that couldn't cover anyone. The Taco reference is for those who equate the Lawrence 3 year learning curve to Taco and are expecting big things from him. If that's the case I guessing this is Barnett's breakout season.
Just for reference Lawrence 9 sacks in his first 32 games, Barnett 7.5 in his first 21. When you rotate 6-7 deep along your d-line its difficult for anyone player to accumulate sack stats.

I hope the rest of the league feel the same way as you, that the D line isn't all that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or they could continue to treat defensive tackle like a complete afterthought and invest nothing into it? Their results have been 'great' doing that so far...

Practices will all 500 will be awesome.

The exemption will require a minimum of 100 DTs...