Eagles sign Levens

canadafan

Reaction score
Here's the article:

Posted on Sun, Aug. 22, 2004

Dorsey Levens signs with Eagles

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer

The Eagles have reached into their past to fill their need for another running back.

Hadley Engelhard, the agent for Dorsey Levens, said this afternoon that his client had agreed to a one-year deal with the Eagles and was scheduled to board a flight tonight and be at practice with the team tomorrow at the NovaCare Complex.

"We had been talking to the Eagles even before this," Engelhard said. "Dorsey has obviously played there before and he's very excited to be coming back."

The Eagles plan to make the official announcement tomorrow after Levens passes a physical.

Engelhard said he heard from the Eagles "soon after" Correll Buckhalter went down Friday night with a season-ending knee injury against the Baltimore Ravens.

Though the Eagles did not announce the acquisition of Levens, coach Andy Reid did say this afternoon that the team planned to bring in another back to fill the void left by Buckhalter's injury.

It is not clear where Levens will land on the depth chart, but he will likely be in a rotation with Brian Westbrook and Reno Mahe.

Levens, 34, played the 2002 season with the Eagles after spending his first eight seasons with the Green Bay Packers. In his only season with the Eagles, Levens rushed for 411 yards and a touchdown on 75 carries and caught 19 passes for 124 yards and one touchdown.

He dressed for 11 games last season with the Giants and saw little playing time, carrying 68 times for 197 yards and catching five passes for 39 yards. His most productive game was against the Eagles when he ran 16 times for 64 yards.

Earlier this month, Levens had talked with the Miami Dolphins after running back Ricky Williams announced his sudden retirement.

kmp77

Reaction score
If you post links to news articles that require a login, you need to post the article with the link.

*edit - 5 seconds too early*

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
"He dressed for 11 games last season with the Giants and saw little playing time, carrying 68 times for 197 yards and catching five passes for 39 yards. His most productive game was against the Eagles when he ran 16 times for 64 yards."

Well, that sure changes things! I guess the eagles will win the SuperBowl this year!~ :rolleyes:

I kinda feel sorry for the eagles...NOT!!

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
yea, i don't see this being a super effective move.

how good can he be if no one had him?

AJM1613

Reaction score
I hate being right all the time. :rolleyes:

Just look at the numbers from 2002, the last time he was here, they were great.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
phillycowboyslover said:
yea, i don't see this being a super effective move.

how good can he be if no one had him?

The guy is 34, no doubt he's lost a step or two along the way.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I hate being right all the time. :rolleyes:

Just look at the numbers from 2002, the last time he was here, they were great.

ancient history. that doesn't mean anything.

AJM1613

Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
ancient history. that doesn't mean anything.

lol alright...Two years ago doesn't matter when he played for our team?

Sure...

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Sure...

it doesn't. would it matter if we brought back emmitt smith?

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
Your new here....it's a joke.

Mickey Spagnola's famous line:

"If he so good, why is he available"?

oh, duh....should have figured that out!

hahahaha, nice one.

i love his column.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AJM1613 said:

Sure...

If you don't think two years won't have any difference on a 34 year old running back you should probably quit spending so much time on the net and start studying a little biology.

One lost step for a running back is the difference between night & day. There's a reason why he didn't play much for the Iants last year and why he wasn't picked up (till now) this year. To expect 2002 results is absurd. As a matter of fact I'll bet you right now that he won't have the same or greater ypc average than he did in '02. It won't happen and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
It's funny how the national media doesn't seem to question (yet) "how much gas is left in the tank" when it comes to Dorsey Levens. Levens makes Eddie George look like a teenager in comparison. I guess because it's Philly, the move will be probably be labeled as "brilliant." Didn't Andy Reid know Adrian Murrell was still available??

Before any of you Philly fans flame me, I know that he won't get very many carries/catches. But I just think it's ridiculous how the media loves Philly right now since their true darlings, the 49ers, are going to suck so badly this season.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Waffle said:
It's funny how the national media doesn't seem to question (yet) "how much gas is left in the tank" when it comes to Dorsey Levens. Levens makes Eddie George look like a teenager in comparison. I guess because it's Philly, the move will be probably be labeled as "brilliant." Didn't Andy Reid know Adrian Murrell was still available??

Before any of you Philly fans flame me, I know that he won't get very many carries/catches. But I just think it's ridiculous how the media loves Philly right now since their true darlings, the 49ers, are going to suck so badly this season.

The media still has tampa and all of their "brilliant" offseason moves. Wasn't AJM talking about the oldest team in the league? Doesn't it have to be Tampa?

AJM1613

Reaction score
Waffle said:

It's because Levens has had 1149 carries in 10 years compared to George's 2733 in 8 years. He didn't take the same pounding.

Also, the media clearly hates us, they are routing for us to fail for the 4th straight time and have Owens destroy our locker room. I don't know what the f you are talking about.