Twitter: Eagles sign Wentz to 4 year extension for $128 million

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak’s contract just got more expensive. The longer the Cowboys wait to resign him, the more they will have to pay.
Unless this season is a struggle.

Personally I’d rather wait. And if Dak has an awesome season leading us to a championship appearance ( at least) , then open up the checkbook.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak’s contract just got more expensive. The longer the Cowboys wait to resign him, the more they will have to pay.

That's certainly how it's looking.

I could brush off a few of the others, but this one hits close to home. It's his draft contemporary and the franchise quarterback of an in-division rival.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles are going to regret this contract within 2 years.

It will be interesting to watch for sure. For better or worse, they're going all in on a quarterback who has shown both promise and that he can't stay healthy. Been there, done that.

I think Dak and/or his agent have been slow playing it for this exact reason.

You're very likely right. And now is really the time to do that, during the offseason. Dak has little to absolutely no risk of injury at this point and the numbers just keep going up based on the contracts the other quarterbacks are getting.

But at the same time, I'd say the leverage swings back to the Cowboys when the preseason and season starts, because that's when Prescott's risk of injury jumps way up. I don't believe for a second the team will use that leverage however.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Unless this season is a struggle.

Personally I’d rather wait. And if Dak has an awesome season leading us to a championship appearance ( at least) , then open up the checkbook.

I think that’s a mistake since Mahomes might get a $200 million contract next year. That will reset the QB market to a whole new level. The longer the Cowboys wait the more they are going to have to pay Dak, especially if he has a strong year. They have already waited too long now that Wentz has a big contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that’s a mistake since Mahomes might get a $200 million contract next year. That will reset the QB market to a whole new level. The longer the Cowboys wait the more they are going to have to pay Dak, especially if he has a strong year. They have already waited too long now that Wentz has a big contract.
I’m willing to pay him if he measures up to a Mahomes.

Paying Dak Wentz money is not team friendly.

We have a 24th ranked passing offense with a 15th ranked QB. Why pay top money?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The numbers certainly keep going up, and it's reached the point where there are two choices:

1. Pay more by the day
  2. Quit and move on and try to find another quarterback
And based on this team's track record of identifying quarterbacks since Jerry Jones bought the team, does anyone truly have faith in option 2?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The numbers certainly keep going up, and it's reached the point where there are two choices:

1. Pay more by the day
  2. Quit and move on and try to find another quarterback
And based on this team's track record of identifying quarterbacks since Jerry Jones bought the team, does anyone truly have faith in option 2?

Finding a QB is hard for every team. Landry had Gary Hogeboom and Steve Pelluer as well as a couple others that were thrown out there. Under Jerry we had Aikman and took time before we hit on Romo and now Dak. Face it, the position is hard to fill.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I’m willing to pay him if he measures up to a Mahomes.

Paying Dak Wentz money is not team friendly.

We have a 24th ranked passing offense with a 15th ranked QB. Why pay top money?

Because Dak has already proven he’s a winner. Only the GOAT has more wins since Dak entered the league 3 years ago, and no QB has more game-winning drives during that period.

The Cowboys could have signed Dak for $30 million a year. Now they will likely have to pay $32 million. Next year it could be $35 million if he has a good season. It’s always a risk signing a player to a big contract, but it’s also a risk if they don’t and the price continues to go up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finding a QB is hard for every team. Landry had Gary Hogeboom and Steve Pelluer as well as a couple others that were thrown out there. Under Jerry we had Aikman and took time before we hit on Romo and now Dak. Face it, the position is hard to fill.

Absolutely. The most difficult in all of sports in my opinion. And that's why these contracts continue to get crazier and crazier all the time.

If a team even thinks they have one, they'll pay through the nose to keep him. That's why guys like Cousins, Carr, and Stafford are making sick money while never being close to winning anything.

The terror of struggling for years to find one and being irrelevant like the Browns for years and years is enough to scare team into paying 100's of millions of dollars.

And we can either do that, or look for the next Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
buy the time the cowboys front office gets around to signing dak he will be getting 35 million a year or more

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Absolutely. The most difficult in all of sports in my opinion. And that's why these contracts continue to get crazier and crazier all the time.

If a team even thinks they have one, they'll pay through the nose to keep him. That's why guys like Cousins, Carr, and Stafford are making sick money while never being close to winning anything.

The terror of struggling for years to find one and being irrelevant like the Browns for years and years is enough to scare team into paying 100's of millions of dollars.

And we can either do that, or look for the next Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

That is part of the reason I want to see Dak extended. I think Dak has shown the leadership that position requires and while I want to see more development from him I also see a guy willing to do what ever he must to help this team win. He has had some sick runs for TD to help us along with big plays in the passing game. Granted not the traditional drop back passer but I think he kid can lead this team and will do whatever he has to, to win

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm shocked they paid the part-timer this much having not been able to stay on the field.

The longer Dallas waits, the more older contracts get extended driving the market higher. Should have extended him already and moved forward.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is part of the reason I want to see Dak extended. I think Dak has shown the leadership that position requires and while I want to see more development from him I also see a guy willing to do what ever he must to help this team win. He has had some sick runs for TD to help us along with big plays in the passing game. Granted not the traditional drop back passer but I think he kid can lead this team and will do whatever he has to, to win

I agree. No player is a sure bet, but I think he's shown more than enough positive traits to be considered the better alternative to going back to being one of the league's "have-not's" searching for a quarterback.

But I would get ahead of what looks to be the next evolution of the game in scouting and drafting quarterbacks. If they are truly this valuable, they need to be made far and away every team's top acquisition priority. Draft, free agency, wherever. Invest the time and money off the field where it's uncapped every bit as much as you do in a fixed salary cap.

I think that Moore's offense and Kitna helping with fundamentals as well as his own work ethic and continued development, will help to take Prescott's game to another level this year.

And if "damaged goods" is getting $32 million a year? A guy who has actually done far more is worth more.

dfense

Reaction score
Maybe this is the year Wentz completes a season healthy.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Dak is not a FA after this season. What are you smoking? I want some.
He's an unrestricted free agent after this season. Unless I've missed something, I have no idea what you're talking about. There is no fifth-year option for Prescott because he wasn't a first-round pick unlike Wentz. The Cowboys control Prescott's rights for this year, and the Eagles control the rights of Wentz for the next 2.

Look it up.

Reaction score
Dak will get close, but his contract should look a little different because he’s in his final year of his rookie deal this year and making $2 million. Wentz had two years left in his rookie deal (because of 5th year option) and was set to make $4 million this year and $22 million next year.