Earl Thomas Carted off field with an air cast on his right leg **merged**

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll give hawks a 6th round pick now...let him sit and heal, maybe coach
Unless something's changed, I don't think you can trade/trade for injured players. That's why players have to pass a physical to be traded. I could be wrong, though.

Do they give compensatory picks if FA missed most of their last season.
He's going to IR (should still accrue a season unless they do some injury settlement) , so I don't think missing playing time is involved in getting a comp pick as long as his new contract is substantial enough to earn a comp pick.

One thing to point out. The last time he got injured (broke similar/same bone), he was hinting at retiring. This time, he might actually do it.

mikeb18768

Reaction score
Do you know that you have to pay his contract if you trade for him?

I thought if he went on IR they didn't have to. And I would only do it if they could get a deal signed. If he wants to be a Cowboy give the home town discount

stinkface

Reaction score
Well, he's done in Seattle for sure. Jerry will have to decide if he wants to get into the bidding war once he is released.

cern

Reaction score
Contracts are a two way street. Teams have to look out for themselves as well as the player. Too much for one guy leaves too little for another guy. Players want guaranteed deals in the advent they get injured. Teams don't want to give those deals in the advent the player gets injured and they pay for nothing. Too bad so sad

erod

Reaction score
What's sad is, ET played 4 games and will probably have more interceptions this season than our entire secondary.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I thought if he went on IR they didn't have to. And I would only do it if they could get a deal signed. If he wants to be a Cowboy give the home town discount

You thought players who get hurt in games and go on IR no longer get paid? Some contracts can have clauses that reduce the pay but I doubt players like ET have to sign those kinds of deals.

SSoup

Reaction score
See you next year (at a reduced rate).
I somehow doubt Earl signs here. I think he's just another in the endlessly long line of players (or agents) who thought they could drag us into the mix and connect us to them, just to create leverage for themselves to get what they wanted. And in the end it almost always turns out playing for us wasn't what they actually want, as proven by what happens when they hit the open market and sign elsewhere.

I think the only way he signs with us is if our dotty G.M. is the only one to put on rose-colored glasses and pay him huge money, ignoring the glaring injury and attitude baggage. If that happens, I guess we deserve to be the ones left holding the bag overpaying him while his career nose-dives.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
This is exactly why he wanted his extension that he deserved, and that Seattle refused to do so. They fined him for wanting a contract that he had earned with the time and results he had given them

And this is why fans are fans, sitting on their couches at home. You don't pay a player for what they've done, you pay them for what they're going to do.