Twitter: Earl Thomas officially holds out of camp for contract ext

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had a feeling when we didn’t do it at the draft that it wouldn’t get done. The seahags wanted to much and he wants a lot of money also. We need to use our extra cash for contacts with our own players.

And our draft picks to get new good ones!

I thank the Joneses for Connor Williams and $50 million in additional cap space.

Reaction score
This significantly increases the chance of a trade to us or another team. Remember, we offered SEA a 3 for him during the draft. Which likely means we were comfortable with his contract demands (and likely had off the record conversations with his agent). The sticking point was SEA wanted a 2. But now, SEA’s leverage is gone because ET is now a distraction and holding out for money SEA does not want to pay. You don’t let Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Paul Richardson, Sheldon Richardson all walk and they pay ET a huge multi-year deal. I think SEA blinks and trades him for a 3. I think we are the most likely partner, but another team with cap room may swoop in. Just IMO.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This significantly increases the chance of a trade to us or another team. Remember, we offered SEA a 3 for him during the draft. Which likely means we were comfortable with his contract demands (and likely had off the record conversations with his agent). The sticking point was SEA wanted a 2. But now, SEA’s leverage is gone because ET is now a distraction and holding out for more SEA does not want to pay. You don’t let Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Paul Richardson, Sheldon Richardson all walk and they pay ET a huge multi-year deal. I think SEA blinks and trades him for a 3. I think we are the most likely partner, but another team with cap room may swoop in. Just IMO.

Have to cry BS on that

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The realist in me tells me this will not happen. The fanboy in me keeps chanting Earl! Earl! Earl! because I feel like he is the player that could really put this defense over the top and on the NFL map.

Reactions: BAT

gmoney112

Reaction score
If we could get him for a 3+5 or something, I'd still take him and give him a deal.

But they wont do that. Maybe they sign him to a deal and trade him next offseason. Who knows. I think he stays in Seattle though

Reaction score
Have to cry BS on that

Which part? Not saying we’re going to make a trade for him. But someone will. I think SEA was playing chicken and lost. Remember, only a couple of weeks ago, Carroll said he expected ET at mandatory camp. Now that has changed. Why SEA would keep ET, knowing he wants big money, is now a distraction by holding out, and after letting all their big money veterans walk, is beyond me. They are hitting reset button. We’ll see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which part? Not saying we’re going to make a trade for him. But I think SEA was playing chicken and lost. Remember, only a couple of weeks ago, Carroll said he expected ET at mandatory camp. Now that has changed. Why SEA would keep ET, knowing he wants big money, is now a distraction by holding out, and after letting all their big money veterans walk, is beyond me. But you can call BS if you want. We’ll see.

I think a lot of what yiure saying adds up and makes sense. I know one thing, the Seahawks brain trust has lied through their teeth about this whole thing from the beginning. And part of me is glad that it's now blowing up in their faces. You reap what you sow.

They tried to get greedy and it backfired on them. And now they're stuck.

At one time, I did believe that the Cowboys were interested and would get involved with a trade, but at this point I have serious doubts.

I don't think the team is eager to give up 2019 draft capital and then pay huge money on a new contract, especially not when the market for safeties is going way down, not up.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think a lot of what yiure saying adds up and makes sense. I know one thing, the Seahawks brain trust has lied through their teeth about this whole thing from the beginning. And part of me is glad that it's now blowing up in their faces. You reap what you sow.

They tried to get greedy and it backfired on them. And now they're stuck.

At one time, I did believe that the Cowboys were interested and would get involved with a trade, but at this point I have serious doubts.

I don't think the team is eager to give up 2019 draft capital and then pay huge money on a new contract, especially not when the market for safeties is going way down, not up.
Keep the salary low on the DB's --young and hungry with a new coach !!!!! Note --think Kam Kelly is going to be a great find.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Oh man...this again?

Exactly...we don't have the cap space to pay this guy what he wants...this is his last chance at a big contract and that's what he wants...personally I'd rather keep dlaw and Martin then sign this guy and risk losing one of them....besides I read on here that Richard is turning heath into ET 2.0 anyways
Or will he turn E.T. into Heath? Think about dat one