Earl Thomas speaks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

aria

Reaction score
And the rest of the NFL world reiterates two things for Earl Thomas “either show up, play and honor your contract or don’t play and shut the hell up”.

The more this guy opens his mouth the less I like him. I hope he gets traded to some scrub team like the Jets, I don’t want him here.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
So this really could happen? I thought it’s been all fluff, mostly, the last couple months.

Stephen’s coy remarks last week and ET’s comments here, make it seem more likely now. Has SEA commented on extending him? Are there any other teams that have been mentioned? Or is it us vs SEA?

Git er done, Jerry!

Edit — seems like the board is split on him. Regardless, it’ll be fun if he lands here. Half the board melting down, notwithstanding.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Sorry buddy but this is a lifetime package deal. Its what you sign up for fresh out of the womb.

Its a fine print right on you birth certificate.
Oh I know just not a fan of ET. I think his actions are purely selfish and portrays someone who isn't a team player. I hope Seattle either extends him or with the recent news about Baldwin being out through preseason they trade Twill for ET straight up. Either way last year the cloud of Zeke was a distraction and this year you have the anthem and daily news bout ET/Dez. I want to be reading about Jwad, K Ealy etc etc....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Apparently Seattle wants Dallas' no. 2 pick next year for him.

While he would probably be better than any of our other safeties, there are five things to consider:

1. He's already 29 years old, and hasn't played a full 16 games either of the last two years.
2. He was on a team with players like Sherman, Bennett, Chancellor and Browner, is he really that good himself or was he good because he was on a great team? Won't know that until he plays without them.
3. He had only 2 ints each his last two seasons, as a free safety. Only like 7 and 10 passes defensed. Now maybe a la Mel Renfro he's so good teams didn't throw his way much, but with Sherman again being supposedly so great, why wouldn't teams throw his way?
4. The Cowboys are a young team, being built with draft picks, do you really want to add somebody who might only play a couple of years?
5. Cowboys still need good players at several positions. Draft picks, especially first and second rounders, are extremely valuable. Would he add enough to the team to "push them over the top" this year? Or the next? Can't do it all by himself. Yes one player can perk up the entire defense (see that with Lee), but someone playing away from the line of scrimmage isn't involved in as many plays as a Lee or Lawrence or Collins or Vander Esch, his impact would be muted.

As anybody can tell, I don't think much of getting him if it takes a no. 2 pick, or multiple picks. Would prefer to let the guys in place get playing time together and see if we can develop another Doomsday...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I was just about to post that link!

It's a good read, and I think he used the opportunity to express his position quite well.

I can't help but to think that he's ultimately traded. From all indications, the Seahawks have made it clear that they don't want - and don't intend - to give him an extension. So if option A is off the table, that leaves only option B.
Has there been any other teams linked to him, Stash?

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
And the rest of the NFL world reiterates two things for Earl Thomas “either show up, play and honor your contract or don’t play and shut the hell up”.

The more this guy opens his mouth the less I like him. I hope he gets traded to some scrub team like the Jets, I don’t want him here.
Exactly how I feel. Doesn't come across as a team player in the slightest.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Has there been any other teams linked to him, Stash?
The Raiders not even two weeks ago.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones says there have been "no recent talks" with Seattle about Earl Thomas.

This falls in line with a previous report that Thomas-to-Cowboys rumors are "media hype." Thomas didn't report for the start of training camp and looks on his way out of Seattle, so it's possible the sides revisit talks. The Raiders have also been linked to Thomas, but the Seahawks are unwilling to lower their asking price to get a deal done.
Related: Cowboys

Source: Charean Williams on Twitter
Jul 25 - 5:39 PM

davidariust24

Reaction score
A second round pick is fair. I think the cowboys should be happy with that as well as the Seahawks. He would be happy because we will pay him and the Seahawks should be happy with the payment since all theyd get is a low 3rd not next year but the one following if he stays.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Apparently Seattle wants Dallas' no. 2 pick next year for him.

While he would probably be better than any of our other safeties, there are five things to consider:

1. He's already 29 years old, and hasn't played a full 16 games either of the last two years.
2. He was on a team with players like Sherman, Bennett, Chancellor and Browner, is he really that good himself or was he good because he was on a great team? Won't know that until he plays without them.
3. He had only 2 ints each his last two seasons, as a free safety. Only like 7 and 10 passes defensed. Now maybe a la Mel Renfro he's so good teams didn't throw his way much, but with Sherman again being supposedly so great, why wouldn't teams throw his way?
4. The Cowboys are a young team, being built with draft picks, do you really want to add somebody who might only play a couple of years?
5. Cowboys still need good players at several positions. Draft picks, especially first and second rounders, are extremely valuable. Would he add enough to the team to "push them over the top" this year? Or the next? Can't do it all by himself. Yes one player can perk up the entire defense (see that with Lee), but someone playing away from the line of scrimmage isn't involved in as many plays as a Lee or Lawrence or Collins or Vander Esch, his impact would be muted.

As anybody can tell, I don't think much of getting him if it takes a no. 2 pick, or multiple picks. Would prefer to let the guys in place get playing time together and see if we can develop another Doomsday...
I can’t see them getting a second, unless it’s a sign and trade, and even then, I can’t see them getting that high of a pick, when that’s what JimmyG just landed, and he’s a (as of now) franchise QB, and was considered that by SF when they traded for him.