Earl Thomas speaks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has there been any other teams linked to him, Stash?

None as clear as our Cowboys. Nobody even close to that. There's been some speculation made about other possible fits like the 49'ers and Chargers among others, but to my knowledge, that's just people writing an article and making guesses.

And I haven't read or heard a thing about anyone else having trade conversations.

My thinking is that if a trade happens? It's with us.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I can’t see them getting a second, unless it’s a sign and trade, and even then, I can’t see them getting that high of a pick, when that’s what JimmyG just landed, and he’s a (as of now) franchise QB, and was considered that by SF when they traded for him.

That's what Seattle wants, seems pretty obvious to me Dallas doesn't want to give them that, a position that I heartily agree with...

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
the longer this goes and the more camp casualties start to pile up, someone will over pay

i hope it's not us

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So this really could happen? I thought it’s been all fluff, mostly, the last couple months.

Stephen’s coy remarks last week and ET’s comments here, make it seem more likely now. Has SEA commented on extending him? Are there any other teams that have been mentioned? Or is it us vs SEA?

Git er done, Jerry!

Edit — seems like the board is split on him. Regardless, it’ll be fun if he lands here. Half the board melting down, notwithstanding.

I want a deal to happen, but not at the cost of overpaying.

If it's truly about "security" for him, the Cowboys can offer him a multi-year deal with big money guaranteed for injury. 4-years, $40 million, with half of it guaranteed.

If, by "security", he means resetting the safety market above $13 million a year? That's not "security", that's greed. And I'm not interested in doing that.

DiResta

Reaction score
@Risen Star this morning
setting_the_hook.gif

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
And the rest of the NFL world reiterates two things for Earl Thomas “either show up, play and honor your contract or don’t play and shut the hell up”.

The more this guy opens his mouth the less I like him. I hope he gets traded to some scrub team like the Jets, I don’t want him here.
Aria, my friend, lots of players sit out. Hell, Bosa was just a couple years ago and he’s a hell of a team player. ET was a team leader on the Legion of Boom SB team. He has commanded the utmost respect from his teammates.

Him holding out is nothing new from players, even respected players, and I don’t think it’s fair to jump to such drastic conclusions over such an instance, my friend :)

Goes to show us how awesome Tank is, but he seems to be the exception rather than the rule, these days. I’m not gonna judge ET over this. But that’s just moi

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Raiders not even two weeks ago.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones says there have been "no recent talks" with Seattle about Earl Thomas.

This falls in line with a previous report that Thomas-to-Cowboys rumors are "media hype." Thomas didn't report for the start of training camp and looks on his way out of Seattle, so it's possible the sides revisit talks. The Raiders have also been linked to Thomas, but the Seahawks are unwilling to lower their asking price to get a deal done.
Related: Cowboys

Source: Charean Williams on Twitter
Jul 25 - 5:39 PM

There's nothing to the Raiders mention. That was debunked as an off-hand comment about a week or two ago.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dallas' history of free agent pickups is hardly a sparkling list, if they do trade for Earl he'll probably tear up a knee in pre-season :rolleyes:

mooseq

Reaction score
Y’all tend to forget Stephan is in charge and I bet we get ET for a 4th round pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A second round pick is fair. I think the cowboys should be happy with that as well as the Seahawks. He would be happy because we will pay him and the Seahawks should be happy with the payment since all theyd get is a low 3rd not next year but the one following if he stays.

I might give them a conditional 3rd round pick that becomes a 2nd rounder if he makes All-Pro level. But not a straight up 2nd. That's too high a price to pay for someone you then also have to give a mega-deal to. Not anyone's recipe for success.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Y’all tend to forget Stephan is in charge and I bet we get ET for a 4th round pick.

That would be okay with me. Other than Dak, since when has a Cowboys 4th round pick been very good?

BW Webb, Kyle Wilbur, Matt Johnson, Damien Wilson, Charles Tapper, David Arkin.

Not a distinguished list...

superonyx

Reaction score
I was just about to post that link!

It's a good read, and I think he used the opportunity to express his position quite well.

I can't help but to think that he's ultimately traded. From all indications, the Seahawks have made it clear that they don't want - and don't intend - to give him an extension. So if option A is off the table, that leaves only option B.
Unfortunately he doesn’t want to face option 3.
The Seahawks keep him this year and let him leave as a FA after the season.

It seems strange for the Seahawks to just let him walk for nothing. But it also seems strange for us to give up a valuable draft pick to have someone 16 weeks before you can have him for free.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
There's nothing to the Raiders mention. That was debunked as an off-hand comment about a week or two ago.
There are other reports they have interest. They were also considered the second team during the draft interested in a trade. There is nothing but pure speculation and media hype the cowboys are actually interested. What we have as far as fact is Stephen saying several times they are not pursuing him. Maybe this is a ploy by ET to drive up his price for the Hawks to pay him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aria, my friend, lots of players sit out. Hell, Bosa was just a couple years ago and he’s a hell of a team player. ET was a team leader on the Legion of Boom SB team. He has commanded the utmost respect from his teammates.

Him holding out is nothing new from players, even respected players, and I don’t think it’s fair to jump to such drastic conclusions over such an instance, my friend :)

Goes to show us how awesome Tank is, but he seems to be the exception rather than the rule, these days. I’m not gonna judge ET over this. But that’s just moi

I agree with you. This situation and this player, just brings to light the one way street of life in the NFL. People somehow expect players to "honor their contracts", but have no problems whenever players are cut everyday with years remaining on theirs. Apparently oblivious to the clear double standard.