Earl Thomas trade discussions centered around pick 50

Vero_F250

Reaction score

From inside the article:

“There’s a sense around the league that the Dallas Cowboys aren’t done making a push for Thomas, who’d fill a major need on their defense. Two sources said the trade discussions between Seattle and Dallas have centered around the Cowboys’ second-round pick (No. 50 overall) but that no deal will be done until the Cowboys figure out whether they can sign Thomas long term. Thomas has one year and $8.5 million left on his contract, which would make him a great deal for the 2018 Cowboys. But dealing a second-rounder for a one-year rental wouldn’t make a lot of sense. If a deal gets struck, expect news of a Thomas contract extension with Dallas to follow.

Last edited:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I say go for it. Make up for that loss by moving back in the first round.
depends on who is there at 19. if our MUST HAVE players are taken, sure. move back and recoup a 2nd round pick if one will be offered up. otherwise, still not sold on this being what puts us over the top when we have questions abound.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the report is true I would be on board with 2nd rd pick for Thomas. I think Thomas is still one of the top safeties in the game and I think with Richard coming in to work with the DB that Thomas would be an even greater asset to this young group the Cowboys have in this secondary.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the report is true I would be on board with 2nd rd pick for Thomas. I think Thomas is still one of the top safeties in the game and I think with Richard coming in to work with the DB that Thomas would be an even greater asset to this young group the Cowboys have in this secondary.
The compensation isn't terrible. IMO, Earl is worth a 1st rounder and worth the 19th pick. Would I do it? No. Factor in we have to sign him to a big contract....he's ready to leave the SEahawks and they are in rebuild mode on defense? IMO even a 2nd rounder is too high. But I wouldn't be upset over it.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
depends on who is there at 19. if our MUST HAVE players are taken, sure. move back and recoup a 2nd round pick if one will be offered up. otherwise, still not sold on this being what puts us over the top when we have questions abound.
Problem is...we will not get a 1st and 2nd for the 19th pick, a late 1st and a 3rd at most, We could use a third and 4th to try and get back into the 2nd.

Carson

Reaction score
No way I'd trade our 2 for him. We need to stock the shelves. We're not a safety away from Super Bowl contention, particularly one we'd have to pay big money to.

I agree.

But would you rather get Thomas, trade back to late first round and get a second?

If we can make moves and recoup our picks I’m all for it

Klingo3034

Reaction score
Give them next year's second round. We need our second to trade back up to first.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No way I'd trade our 2 for him. We need to stock the shelves. We're not a safety away from Super Bowl contention, particularly one we'd have to pay big money to.
You can't sit back and only make moves if you are a "player a way though". They are a few players away on defense and Earl Thomas will mask a lot of issues this defense does have. You don't trade for Earl because of one year. You are looking at him for 3 or 4 years.