Earl Thomas trade discussions centered around pick 50

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’d rather have Earl for only 4 years than whatever injured linebacker we would take otherwise
I'm not against that at all. But on the other end of the coin.....what if you get another Demarcus Lawrence or Chido or Sean Lee? Jaylon Smith and Gavin Escobar seem to represent what the Cowboys do in the 2nd round.....but they have found some solid guys there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The compensation isn't terrible. IMO, Earl is worth a 1st rounder and worth the 19th pick. Would I do it? No. Factor in we have to sign him to a big contract....he's ready to leave the SEahawks and they are in rebuild mode on defense? IMO even a 2nd rounder is too high. But I wouldn't be upset over it.

I understand you have to sign him and I have never minded having top players making top money. Beats the hell out of having avg player making avg money. In the end for me it is having true talent and I think Thomas brings that. I think having that top player at safety is a big help to some young DB's who will also be in the process of learning a system that Thomas knows like the back of his hand. Lastly I think this DB group needs a leader and Thomas would provide that.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
You think they plan to do that? Not saying they won't just asking.

I know they did more 2 LB sets than 3 LB over the past few years. Not sure how many 1 LB they did. You can see the snap counts online. I believe our 3rd LB was 20-30%.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Give them next year's second round. We need our second to trade back up to first.
They have no picks this year min rounds 2-3, they do not really care about next years draft quite yet. Only way a pick next year would work is if its 1st.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You can't sit back and only make moves if you are a "player a way though". They are a few players away on defense and Earl Thomas will mask a lot of issues this defense does have. You don't trade for Earl because of one year. You are looking at him for 3 or 4 years.
Doubt he masks issues if the scheme is unsound. An unsound scheme has to have uber talent or you end up with what dallas has had for 5 years.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
With Kavon and Heath fighting for SS, that would put Woods likely back at NCB. That would give us a deep secondary. Would we be playing a lot of 1-2 LB sets, and if so, would we still view LB as a big need?

With Lee's injury history, yes it is a big need.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
They have no picks this year min rounds 2-3, they do not really care about next years draft quite yet. Only way a pick next year would work is if its 1st.
That will change when they trade #18 to the Saints for them to draft Jackson. You heard it hear first.;)

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Strong safety/in the box guy though now.

I been a fan of him in Miami for a while, but not sure the dolphins would get rid of him over TJ McDonald, nor would he be that ideal deep centerfielder.
No don't think they will get rid of him but he clearly is not in the box. He is all over the field and his stats back that up. Ints, sacks, PDs...he is getting older which is why I wouldn't want him and why I don't want Thomas.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No...you can't. The objective is to take advantage of your best players primes. You have probably a 5 year window right now if that. You can't keep trying to build through the draft...by the time those players develop into Pro Bowlers....its time to either pay them or its time for them to leave this team or league.

Yup you can. That window starts with a legitimate franchise QB and lasts around a decade. Until you are certain that you have that QB, you don't commit resources like that on minor positions (even as important as safety).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Doubt he masks issues if the scheme is unsound. An unsound scheme has to have uber talent or you end up with what dallas has had for 5 years.
The defense wasn't terrible last year. Hasn't really ever been terrible under Maranelli. If they gave up 19 points a game with Heath and Byron Jones....am I wrong to expect a improvement if Earl Thomas is back there?
I know they did more 2 LB sets than 3 LB over the past few years. Not sure how many 1 LB they did. You can see the snap counts online. I believe our 3rd LB was 20-30%.
Yeah......it depends how confident they are in this secondary. I expect to see more 2 LB's if anything. Especially if Jaylon balls out next year.

I understand you have to sign him and I have never minded having top players making top money. Beats the hell out of having avg player making avg money. In the end for me it is having true talent and I think Thomas brings that. I think having that top player at safety is a big help to some young DB's who will also be in the process of learning a system that Thomas knows like the back of his hand. Lastly I think this DB group needs a leader and Thomas would provide that.
Oh I'm not against paying him. Its Jerry's money. I'm not one of these guys that even brings that into the equation because its been proven you can get up from under these contracts. I just think Seattle is in no position to ask for high value for him is my stance and because of that I won't give it. The small tiny leverage they have is to just keep him and get a compensation pick.....but that won't come until a few years from now and they can get more by trading him even if it is a 3rd or 4th rounder this year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
do it. do it. do it. do it. do it
Not me.

Our pick at 50..
No way I'd trade our 2 for him. We need to stock the shelves. We're not a safety away from Super Bowl contention, particularly one we'd have to pay big money to.
Exactly.

Cap space needs to go to players we want to keep like Martin and Lawrence.

Not ET who will be here 2-3 years assuming no more injuries.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Insanity.

Double insanity If they take Sutton at 19 or via tradeback.

The front 7 needs players