Earl Thomas trade discussions centered around pick 50

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If it happens, I would think they'd have to have a commitment to sign Earl to a new contract. With only one year left, who's to say he wouldn't bolt if he didn't like the situation?

MarkP88

Reaction score
I agree.

But would you rather get Thomas, trade back to late first round and get a second?

If we can make moves and recoup our picks I’m all for it
If we can do that, sure. I just don't have a great feeling about trading a 2 for him. I acknowledge he's been a great player, but he's got a bit of injury history, he's almost 30, and I worry that he's looking for one last payday. Would much rather hold onto the 2 and see if we can get him for our 3rd.

MarkP88

Reaction score
You can't sit back and only make moves if you are a "player a way though". They are a few players away on defense and Earl Thomas will mask a lot of issues this defense does have. You don't trade for Earl because of one year. You are looking at him for 3 or 4 years.
That's part of it -- I'm not convinced we'll have Pro Bowl-level Earl Thomas for multiple years.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
If they are going to pay a 2nd rd and 9 mill a year they should go after Reshad Jones who actually is the best safety in the league.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think #50 is too much but I wouldn't be too upset if they came away with LVE or R. Evans and Earl Thomas.

That would be a big upgrade to the defensive side of the ball.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
With Kavon and Heath fighting for SS, that would put Woods likely back at NCB. That would give us a deep secondary. Would we be playing a lot of 1-2 LB sets, and if so, would we still view LB as a big need?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's part of it -- I'm not convinced we'll have Pro Bowl-level Earl Thomas for multiple years.
I'm not either. He very well could suck this season and this move could be a mistake which is why I don't want to trade a high pick for him. But with a player of his caliber....you MAY have to trade a 2nd rounder to figure out if he still is as good as he once was. I won't be a fan but I won't complain. You gotta take risks. You take them anyway in the 2nd round. I really hope they can muster up something for next years draft that way they can trade something lower this year like a 3rd or 4th.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You can't sit back and only make moves if you are a "player a way though". They are a few players away on defense and Earl Thomas will mask a lot of issues this defense does have. You don't trade for Earl because of one year. You are looking at him for 3 or 4 years.

Yes you can. You use primarily the draft to build a great team and make moves with premium picks for the top three premium positions (unless you feel the team is excremely close to a super bowl). These being QB, LT, and DE. Especially when it's premium picks and huge salary.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
With Kavon and Heath fighting for SS, that would put Woods likely back at NCB. That would give us a deep secondary. Would we be playing a lot of 1-2 LB sets, and if so, would we still view LB as a big need?
Linebacker is a need based on the uncertainty of Jaylon and how injury prone Lee is.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
If we weren’t so terrible at drafting in the second round I would probably be more upset.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I've always wanted Earl Thomas because I think that helps the team win now.

The Dez decision contradicts that thinking but this Front Office has always had some Sybil to them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes you can. You use primarily the draft to build a great team and make moves with premium picks for the top three premium positions (unless you feel the team is excremely close to a super bowl). These being QB, LT, and DE. Especially when it's premium picks and huge salary.
No...you can't. The objective is to take advantage of your best players primes. You have probably a 5 year window right now if that. You can't keep trying to build through the draft...by the time those players develop into Pro Bowlers....its time to either pay them or its time for them to leave this team or league.

John813

Reaction score
If they are going to pay a 2nd rd and 9 mill a year they should go after Reshad Jones who actually is the best safety in the league.

Strong safety/in the box guy though now.

I been a fan of him in Miami for a while, but not sure the dolphins would get rid of him over TJ McDonald, nor would he be that ideal deep centerfielder.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

I’d rather have Earl for only 4 years than whatever injured linebacker we would take otherwise