Earl Thomas will be a Cowboy by Mid August- Book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jipper

Reaction score
That's with a restricted free agent. Hence the designation as "restricted". Unrestricted free agents are not subject to that restriction.

incorrect. It is based on the net of FA's specifically not the restricted only. While you are correct that the restricted FA situation can lead to a pick from the acquiring team, what we are discussing here is the comp picks awarded by the nfl to teams that lose more FA's to higher compensation than the ones they sign.

per overthecap: https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

"As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula."

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read up on the compensatory pick process and then get back to me with your apology.

Did you know that the Cowboys had several compensatory draft picks just this year?

Do you have any idea how they got those compensatory draft picks?

Dude, don't be a jerk. Even if I'm wrong, this I'm smarter than you and you owe me an apology attitude is nonsense. I'm telling you what I believe and what I have read, not calling you an idiot. Be reasonable enough to do the same.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? This wasn't a discussion about ethics and morals, it was simply about whether Jerry has been good at making trades.
Your listening skills are very narrow and poor...Merit was involved that you chose not to acknowledge. Good night...and I know already, three comments ago that you were stereotyped full.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dude, don't be a jerk. Even if I'm wrong, this I'm smarter than you and you owe me an apology attitude is nonsense. I'm telling you what I believe and what I have read, not calling you an idiot. Be reasonable enough to do the same.
Don't go too strong on IQ brownie points...but keep the reservations at the burn barrel.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your listening skills are very narrow and poor...Merit was involved that you chose not to acknowledge. Good night...and I know already, three comments ago that you were stereotyped full.

Let me know when you get ready to say something rather than just typing words.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't go too strong on IQ brownie points...but keep the reservations at the burn barrel.

Be wary of the brownies with the green flecks ... but keep the oven on so it will be ready.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Who's calling who names here? "Jerk"? That looks like you name calling, not me.

Nobody called you an "idiot" either. That's two you're wrong about.

And the "I'm smarter than you" never happened either. That's three.

And I've repeatedly tried to be reasonable and all you give me are the same quotes that don't address compensatory picks, while obviously refusing to read the information provided to you to clear the matter up for you.

When you realize you're wrong, you should apologize about it. That's what adults do.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's calling who names here? "Jerk"? That looks like you name calling, not me.

Nobody called you an "idiot" either. That's two you're wrong about.

And the "I'm smarter than you" never happened either. That's three.

And I've repeatedly tried to be reasonable and all you give me are the same quotes that don't address compensatory picks, while obviously refusing to read the information provided to you to clear the matter up for you.

When you realize you're wrong, you should apologize about it. That's what adults do.

Dude, you seriously need to read closer. I never claimed you called me names. I said you acted like a jerk and that I was merely stating what I believed and not calling you an idiot, even though you responded to me as if I were an idiot for not believing what you do. The point is you reacted to me as if I had attacked you when all I did was state what I had read that was put out directly by the NFL. There was no reason for you to get defensive and incredulous and react like you did. Apparently you don't believe two people that think differently can have a civil discussion.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, you seriously need to read closer. I never claimed you called me a jerk or called me an idiot, I said you acted like a jerk and that I was merely stating what I believed and not calling you an idiot, even though you responded to me as if I were an idiot for not believing what you do. The point is you reacted to me as if I had attacked you when all I did was state what I had read that was put out directly by the NFL. There was no reason for you to get defensive and incredulous and react like you did.

Apparently you don't believe two people that think differently can have a civil discussion.

I was having a civil discussion. I'm not the guy who brought "jerk" and "idiot" into the conversation, that would be you. So please don't try to project that stuff onto me or go the "victim" route. I didn't attack you at all. In fact, I've gone out of my way to properly educate you about the comp pick process only for you to ignore what I've shown you and copy and paste links about the free agent process.

Instead of going this victim route, invest that time to Google and look up how the compensatory picks process truly works.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, you seriously need to read closer. I never claimed you called me names. I said you acted like a jerk and that I was merely stating what I believed and not calling you an idiot, even though you responded to me as if I were an idiot for not believing what you do. The point is you reacted to me as if I had attacked you when all I did was state what I had read that was put out directly by the NFL. There was no reason for you to get defensive and incredulous and react like you did. Apparently you don't believe two people that think differently can have a civil discussion.

And, so you know, I think I figured out the disconnect. What the NFL is referring to when it says an unrestricted free agent can sign with another club without a draft pick being owed to the prior club is that the team that signed the player doesn't have to give up a draft pick. The compensatory system is a different animal that creates draft picks out of thin air to compensate a team rather than the team receiving an draft pick that would normally exist within a 7 round draft. Apparently there is actually the equivalent of 8 rounds in the draft rather than 7 because of the created picks.

So, my mistake, although the language put out by the NFL was misleading. Don't expect an apology though because I didn't harm you in any way, even though you reacted as if I had. It was merely a disconnect, not worthy of the reaction you had to it.

And spare me the victim nonsense. You are the one who reacted so dramatically and as if my writing something differently than you believed were some kind of personal affront.

The unfortunate thing is I have found in the past that you and I typically have similar views, and we have both supported comments made by the other, so I find it odd that you reacted to me the way you did. Even if I was mistaken, so what?

Last edited:

DiResta

Reaction score
not about where he goes or whatever
if you have doubts about his ability, this is from last year

that is ridiculous coverage
he came from the far hash to stop the screen, guy didnt even get a 1st down o_O

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, so you know, I think I figured out the disconnect. What the NFL is referring to when it says an unrestricted free agent can sign with another club without a draft pick being owed to the prior club is that the team that signed the player doesn't have to give up a draft pick. The compensatory system is a different animal that creates draft picks out of thin air to compensate a team rather than the team receiving an draft pick that would normally exist within a 7 round draft. Apparently there is actually the equivalent of 8 rounds in the draft rather than 7 because of the created picks.

So, my mistake, although the language put out by the NFL was misleading. Don't expect an apology though because I didn't harm you in any way, even though you reacted as if I had. It was merely a disconnect, not worthy of the reaction you had to it.

And spare me the victim nonsense. You are the one who reacted so dramatically and as if my writing something differently than you believed were some kind of personal affront.

The unfortunate thing is I have found in the past that you and I typically have similar views, and we have both supported comments made by the other, so I find it odd that you reacted to me the way you did. Even if I was mistaken, so what?

Weren't you trying to quote me here? Because it looks like you quoted yourself by mistake.

Either way, this looks like an awful lot of words strung together when "My bad! I was wrong, thanks for setting me straight" would easily have sufficed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weren't you trying to quote me here? Because it looks like you quoted yourself by mistake.

Either way, this looks like an awful lot of words strung together when "My bad! I was wrong, thanks for setting me straight" would easily have sufficed.

I was thinking of it as an addition to the comments I previously wrote, but in retrospect that was a confusing way to handle it.

I see you are dead set on being a jerk about this though. Congratulations - you are consistent. By the way, how is it you couldn't figure out the disconnect yourself? I mean, being an authority and all, why is it all you could come up with was that the NFLs own words about unrestricted free agents were ridiculous and wrong?

The funny thing is I backed you up yesterday in another thread with a guy that had reacted to you similarly to how you are reacting to me now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking of it as an addition to the comments I previously wrote, but in retrospect that was a confusing way to handle it.

I see you are dead set on being a jerk about this though. Congratulations - you are consistent. By the way, how is it you couldn't figure out the disconnect yourself? I mean, being an authority and all, why is it all you could come up with was that the NFLs own words about unrestricted free agents were ridiculous and wrong?

The funny thing is I backed you up yesterday in another thread with a guy that had reacted to you similarly to how you are reacting to me now.

So expecting you to be mature enough to admit that you were wrong is now "being a jerk"? And again with the name-calling?

I didn't need to come up with the "disconnect" because I wasn't the guy who had one. That would be you, again, the guy who can't admit when he's wrong. That's your issue, not anyone else's.

I appreciate you backing me up yesterday, I truly do. But I don't see why it is so difficult for you to admit you were wrong and move on like a mature adult does.

Instead, you're wasting an awful lot of time and effort trying to paint me as some bad guy here when my only crime was trying to educate you about something you clearly didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.