Early Free Agency predictions to contend in 2017

conner01

Reaction score
i think he is hving back surgery, but sounds like u knew that.
Yep
And who knows if at his age he can return to form but if the option is there it's worth looking at
We need someone across from Irving and I think he can shine

gmoney112

Reaction score
we need to add 2 high impact DL if we want to beat a good OL.
if we resign Clairborne, the concern is injury.

Even just one impact DL player this year and improving the talent on defense would be a huge boost with this offense. I'm not really counting on the first rounder too much this year, back end of the first round pass rushers usually need a year or two.

Claiborne is dead to me. Haha not really, but he's just completely unreliable. I'd offer him a 1yr / 2mill or something but heavy incentives on games played. To be honest, hes not in my long term plans at all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, they did go 13-3. It was awesome. But, if we want to be serious contenders, we need a little more than a couple early round picks. You want to build your team through the draft, but a couple first year players aren't going to get us where we need to be this season. We have cap, why waste it?

I think I'd ask you the same thing. "Why waste it?"

A "couple of first year players" just helped this team get to 13-3, didn't they? With two more from that same draft class still to be seen on the field. And they got there from drafting smart and spending smart, not from panic moves and overpaying in free agency. Do they still have needs? Sure. But not needs that require spending big and reshaping the team.

I think it'll probably make them preface their decision by asking themselves if the player had been arrested after a chick on cocaine accused him of throwing her on a stack of guns. Hard pass.

Definitely a factor. I don't see them giving too many 'second chances' in the foreseeable future considering how Hardy, McClain, and Gregory turned out. But even their mid-range free agent picks haven't lived up to the money (Gatchkar, Jasper Brinkley, Thornton) lately.

Haha I don't set myself up for anything. Life is unpredictable. Mainly I just think of what'd be fun, and a Ware return would make sense.

Good way to look at it.

I do know one thing. If we go bargain bin shopping again this season, and rely on first year players to improve this defense this season, our pass defense will be ranked in the bottom half of the league again. And I doubt we'll be so lucky with injuries this time around.

I thought our pass defense was better than expected. I think PFF rated them as the best in the league. And losing Claiborne for the better part of the season to injury and Scandrick hobbling for half of it doesn't say "lucky" to me. I'd keep a few of those faces in place at reasonable deals rather than spending big on the next Sean Smith or Byron Maxwell.

If Tony is gone, and we eat the hit this year, we have 50+ mill in cap next year with really only two contracts looming in Martin/Collins. We can sign some high character guys that can play. Doesn't mean we need to drop 40 mill.

And we'll have kicked $28 million plus down the road in the restructured contracts of Tyron Smith, Fredrick, and Dez to do it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Eventually reaching the point where the guy's salary outweighs his production level and cutting someone because you can no longer afford him. I've seen how this story ends far too many times.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Pass rush help will likely be an aging veteran over 30 if we sign anyone.. You'll see us try to retain some of our fas, and maybe sign a low to mid priced fa or two..

Frankly Im fine with this approach, we get a stop gap situational pass rusher and draft a de in the first round. We retain our secondary players, draft cbs for depth and development. WR we address in the draft or in free agency. We could also look at replacing Leary or Free in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. Even though we may lose some of our top free agents in Leary and Williams I think this team comes out fine.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think I'd ask you the same thing. "Why waste it?"

A "couple of first year players" just helped this team get to 13-3, didn't they? With two more from that same draft class still to be seen on the field. And they got there from drafting smart and spending smart, not from panic moves and overpaying in free agency. Do they still have needs? Sure. But not needs that require spending big and reshaping the team.

Definitely a factor. I don't see them giving too many 'second chances' in the foreseeable future considering how Hardy, McClain, and Gregory turned out. But even their mid-range free agent picks haven't lived up to the money (Gatchkar, Jasper Brinkley, Thornton) lately.

Good way to look at it.

I thought our pass defense was better than expected. I think PFF rated them as the best in the league. And losing Claiborne for the better part of the season to injury and Scandrick hobbling for half of it doesn't say "lucky" to me. I'd keep a few of those faces in place at reasonable deals rather than spending big on the next Sean Smith or Byron Maxwell.

And we'll have kicked $28 million plus down the road in the restructured contracts of Tyron Smith, Fredrick, and Dez to do it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Eventually reaching the point where the guy's salary outweighs his production level and cutting someone because you can no longer afford him. I've seen how this story ends far too many times.

You're right. We definitely weren't bottom half in the league in every major defensive statistic on a per drive basis. Our QB rating allowed definitely wasn't in the bottom third of the league. That information is definitely not widely available to anyone who wants to actually look for themselves. I must have missed it, Rodgers was really having trouble out there. My bad.

We just need a couple guys drafted in the late half of the rounds to come in and be dual DROY candidates and we'll be all set. I'm just a big ol' idiot.

That 60 mill in cap space we have in 2018 will at least make us feel better that we didn't attempt to allocate any cap at all to some guys that can actually play whenever Rodgers shreds our defense again. Because every free agent is Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain, and they're all out of the league as soon as their contracts are up. Every FA.

In fact, we shouldn't sign anyone at all. No one. We'll fill every single position in the draft. Can't let anyone think we're panicking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. We definitely weren't bottom half in the league in every major defensive statistic on a per drive basis. Our QB rating allowed definitely wasn't in the bottom third of the league. That information is definitely not widely available to anyone who wants to actually look for themselves. I must have missed it, Rodgers was really having trouble out there. My bad.

We just need a couple guys drafted in the late half of the rounds to come in and be dual DROY candidates and we'll be all set. I'm just a big ol' idiot.

That 60 mill in cap space we have in 2018 will at least make us feel better that we didn't attempt to allocate any cap at all to some guys that can actually play whenever Rodgers shreds our defense again. Because every free agent is Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain, and they're all out of the league as soon as their contracts are up. Every FA.

In fact, we shouldn't sign anyone at all. No one. We'll fill every single position in the draft. Can't let anyone think we're panicking.

Do you really want to turn the conversation in this direction? If so, you just let me know and it can get as nasty as you want it to be.

If reductio ad absurdum is the best response you can give, there's no point in continuing it anyway.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Do you really want to turn the conversation in this direction? If so, you just let me know and it can get as nasty as you want it to be.

If reductio ad absurdum is the best response you can give, there's no point in continuing it anyway.

giphy.gif

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I'd rather resign a few of what we have, extend 1 or 2.......draft our *** off, AGAIN

Then roll into August with that.....