CFZ Early look at the NFC East-gap is growing smaller

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
PHL is channeling SF with what they did with their QB, run game and defense.

WAS will be interesting to see if Wentz can resurrect himself and their D can come back into form.

NY has a problem with their QB. He can't stay healthy long enough for them to find out he's not the one.

The NFCE isn't any more of a story than the NFC. It's all about those QB's in the AFC now.

I don't think anyone questions his talent........he's nearly uncoachable. The fact his former coach couldn't get rid him fast enough should tell you all you need to know.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Barring injury I think the eagles have a good shot at winning the division. Too many questions about the cowboys offense.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
  • The Cowboys have Micah Parsons on defense...the other teams don't...
  • Comparing the 2021 Cowboys roster to the 2022 roster:
  • Cooper:
    • The only real loss. All other positions are either the same or upgraded from last season.
  • Collins:
    • He was not very good last season.
    • He only started a couple of games over Steele because they wanted Steele to focus on LT due to Tyron's ankle injury.
  • Gregory:
    • If Dan Quinn knew that he had this choice, I'm certain he would choose option A:
      • Option A: Sam Williams and Dante Fowler
      • Option B: Gregory
    • Multiple of the local media (sports talk radio and dc.com) say that Sam Williams was Quinn's favorite player in the draft.
  • Penalties:
    • Collins, Gregory and Connor Williams were the top 3 most penalized players.
    • Gregory had more penalties per snap played than anybody on the team.
  • OG:
    • Tyler Smith will be a huge upgrade at LG.
    • The difference in pure physical ability between TS and Connor Williams is drastic.
    • It's like comparing Randy Moss and Cole Beasley.
  • OT:
    • Starters are as good or better than 2021.
    • Backup is the big question mark.
  • OC:
    • Same or better.
  • WR:
    • Lamb had more catches and about 250 more yards last season than Cooper.
    • The games without Gallup are the big question mark.
      • It will be a rotation at the 2nd WR position between James Washington and Jalen Tolbert.
      • Washington is a proven #3 WR type.
      • Tolbert had a high ranking on the Cowboys draft board. They considered drafting him in the 2nd.
      • Slot WR: Pollard likely gets some snaps in the slot. He is the most dynamic athlete on offense and needed more snaps last season.
      • They'll likely use more 2 TE sets while Gallup is out. Ferguson was a better college player than Schultz.
  • TE
    • Schultz returns; therefore, any contributions by Ferguson are a bonus on top of last season.
  • RB:
    • 2023 will be the first season his contract is not guaranteed.
    • They should be more likely to give snaps/carries to Pollard with this likely being Zeke's final season.
  • DT:
    • The biggest question mark position in the minds of many fans.
    • They made it to the playoffs with the same players that remain on the roster.
    • They will be better this season. Gallimore missed most of last season and Odighi was rookie that had to play too many snaps.
    • Bohanna will either be better than last season or Ridgeway will replace him.
  • Safety:
    • The majority of FS snaps last season were played by Kazee.
    • They wanted to limit Hooker because he was returning from a major injury.
    • This season Hooker will be an upgrade over Kazee.
  • CB:
    • They have depth and should only get better.
  • LB:
    • Jabril Cox projects as an upgrade over Neal as the coverage LB with LVE remaining as the base downs LB next to Parsons.
    • They played 40% of snaps last season with 3 Safeties (Big Nickel) which meant Kearse was a hybrid LB on those snaps.
  • DE:
    • Gregory didn't play a huge number of snaps last season.
    • Armstrong played more snaps than Gregory and he returns.
    • With Armstrong as the run downs DE, Sam Williams and Donte Fowler can focus on pass rushing.
    • DLaw only played 7 regular season games in 2021. If he remains relatively healthy, then that's an upgrade for the overall season.

So the cowboys are the same or better? In one comment you say collins, gregory, and williams were the top 3 most penalized players, but then equate tyler smith to randy moss, when an article was written that he is the most penalty prone player in the draft. Spin much? I have no idea if smith is going to be good, great, or a bust, but how do you compare him to randy moss when he hasn't even played a down? I understand blind optimism but the delusional comparison to moss is ridiculous.

JayFord

Reaction score
only way another team wins the division is if Dallas takes the year off (which they VERY well could do)

Motorola

Reaction score
Throw out the rookies.

They added much more in FA/trades than we did, while we lost a few key players/starters.

Anyone who doesn't think the gap shrunk is being foolish. For them, it comes down to Hurts. If he is average again, it obviously caps their season. But if he improves they have a decent enough chance to unseat us as divisional champ. They have an easier schedule than our easy one and their first 6-8 games are a total joke. They could get off to a really hot start and then ride the momentum.
The Cowboys aren't the only 2021 division winner that many NFL watchers think will have a tough time to repeat. When the Tyreek Hill trade went down .... there was an immediate groundswell of opinion that the Chiefs' run in the AFC West is over.

reddyuta

Reaction score
What team is going to give up a starting caliber QB?

The Stafford trade was rare and expensive in draft capital.

Teams that see themselves as contenders wouldn't trade away a starting QB.

the eagles have a lot of draft capital..another SB is worth all the picks they can afford.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Can’t disagree with assessment. Although two years ago I would have liked my chances against Brady and Stafford. The Cowboys have to win in the playoffs. No excuses.
Finding that guy that can get to and win playoff games ain’t easy. Truth is, until Prescott does it I wouldn’t bet on this team getting very far in the playoffs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the eagles have a lot of draft capital..another SB is worth all the picks they can afford.
It's finding the other team to make that trade that's the problem.

Would you give up a stash of picks for Kirk Cousins?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Finding that guy that can get to and win playoff games ain’t easy. Truth is, until Prescott does it I wouldn’t bet on this team getting very far in the playoffs.
So true. I know the Romo guys will not like this but he never won anything as the Cowboys quarterback. I live on the East coast and Giants/Eagles/Washington fans call Romo a choke artist. They think he was more Kirk Cousins then Aaron Rodgers. Looking back at his career I agree with them.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Romo was like Dak is so far. Nice regular season stats and stacks wins against the NFC East but tends to wilt in the play-offs. To be fair, we should've won in 2016.

Flamma

Reaction score
So true. I know the Romo guys will not like this but he never won anything as the Cowboys quarterback. I live on the East coast and Giants/Eagles/Washington fans call Romo a choke artist. They think he was more Kirk Cousins then Aaron Rodgers. Looking back at his career I agree with them.

You still have to put a team around him. Then you have other teams that want to win too. Just because you're good, doesn't mean you are winning anything. I think Romo was a Stafford clone. Just with a little more mobility.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rosters:
DAL
PHI
WAS
NYG

Every team pays their QB a small fortune because the position is so important.
DAL has a solid 8 out of 10 at QB and no one else in the division touches a 7.
PHI only gave up 5.2 yards per play last year. They had a really good defense and still kinda stunk going 9-8. They are relying on a lot of older guys on those lines.
WAS was desperate enough to give two-time cast off Wentz a shot. If Carson couldn't win with the best running game going then he can't win in WAS. Chase Young has 9 sacks in 24 games. He's not lived up to his draft status at all.
NYG needs a full rebuild starting at QB. They have no clue how to build a team.

Flamma

Reaction score

They don't have to find anyone from any team. They have 2 first round picks next year. They can use those two, along with another one from 2024 to move up in next year's draft to get a QB. That's what they did in 2016, right?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They were better in the trenches than the Cowboys last season.

I don't know if posters really account for the difference one player made in that front 7. And also just where would this team would have been if they'd taken Horn or Surtain like they planned?

I think PHL has the least amount of unknown of the 4 teams. We know what they were and what they want to be and they did not take a step back from last season, imo. Whether Dean can go for the entire season will dictate a lot about their chances because if he can play, he's a buzz saw on the field. He could be their Parsons.
Dean is no where near Parsons physically. Not in the same universe. He's 6' and 225 pounds. AND slower than Parsons
That is goofy talk for not very smart people, don't buy into it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys have a better shot. That's why they are the favorite

It's been 15 years since they have won back to back conference championships. We say this always thinking they will build on the previous season. This year they didn't even try to build on last year's success. But other teams did. I wish I had y'all's confidence but years of watching these idiots has taught me not to trust them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

The bigger problem is finding the QB worth the picks in the draft.
Wentz wasn't that guy. DAL sat and picked a better QB via sheer dumb luck in R4.
PHI doesn't have a 3-year roster. A lot of that talent on those lines is 30. And guys like AJ and Slay will be earning megabucks in 12 months when the heat of their deals kick in.

PHI couldn't sit back and play towards those picks they went out and tried to upgrade the roster regardless of QB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't have to find anyone from any team. They have 2 first round picks next year. They can use those two, along with another one from 2024 to move up in next year's draft to get a QB. That's what they did in 2016, right?
The thread was about this season.

Obviously it is a very high probability that they draft a QB next year. Ideally the Eagles will be the 2nd best team in the division and if the Saints are good, then 2 picks in the twenties still makes it difficult to move to #1 overall.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What team is going to give up a starting caliber QB?

The Stafford trade was rare and expensive in draft capital.

Teams that see themselves as contenders wouldn't trade away a starting QB.
Myself, I'm not worrying about in-fighting on quarterbacks. The strongest cowboy teams have almost always been during times of strong NFC strength.