Ed Reed on Irvin show - Garrett comment - WOW w/audio

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Wow...

Ed Reed was just interviewed on Michael Irvin's radio show just now (ESPN radio 103.3FM)

He was asked simply "how did you beat the Cowboys?"

his response essentially: *slight laugh* well... we prepared all week and had a good gameplan and their gameplan on offense was "simple" and "we knew it". When people around the league are talking about head coaching openings and inserting a certain coach from the Cowboys [Garrett], I'm like "hold on now..". People in Dallas are wanting to fire Wade Phillips when his defense is successful but it's Garrett they should be taking a look at

damn..

***ADMIN EDIT***

Audio provided by dcfanatic

Link: Ed Reed on Irvin

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
just confirms even more wut Ray lewis said. about our offense beeing simple. its all on garrett.

HanD

Reaction score
simple doesn't matter all the time. it's about exectution. it's been said MANY times that the colts have a very simple offense as well. i think the part that i lay on JG is lack of adjustment and lack of commitment to a real running game instead of this shotgun draw all the time. why have maulers if you don't power run and throw WR screens on 3rd and 1?

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I'm very careful with regard to what Ravens players say about Jason Garrett. Remember, he rejected the chance to coach these players so they are going to take some shots at him. I've seen Suggs, Ray Lewis and Reed all do it since that game was done.

The Cowboys under Norv Turner were said to have 4 running plays and a handful of pass plays. That simple offense seemed to do alright.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
parcells316;2560337 said:
I'm very careful with regard to what Ravens players say about Jason Garrett. Remember, he rejected the chance to coach these players so they are going to take some shots at him. I've seen Suggs, Ray Lewis and Reed all do it since that game was done.

The Cowboys under Norv Turner were said to have 4 running plays and a handful of pass plays. That simple offense seemed to do alright.

Yep, that is a really good point. The bottom line is the players still need to go out and execute.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
HanD;2560333 said:
simple doesn't matter all the time. it's about exectution. it's been said MANY times that the colts have a very simple offense as well. i think the part that i lay on JG is lack of adjustment and lack of commitment to a real running game instead of this shotgun draw all the time. why have maulers if you don't power run and throw WR screens on 3rd and 1?

wasn't the 1990s Cowboy offence simple as hell, about 5 plays? We just ran them perfectly so we won.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

That is a good point.

But it's also hard to argue that they had a point since they talked and then went out and executed against us.

Garrett should have a very nice career in the NFL but this was not his finest work. He had never been a coordinator in truth before this year. Sparano did a lot of it last year.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score

Right.

Simple is just fine, if you execute.

But this team is a sloppy mess with no attention to detail.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
but that is also more proof of how Jerry is responsible. Wade is the THE head coach. He should have some say so on EVERYTHING that goes on with the team. He has been in the league long enough and has seen evey kind of offense out there. He has certainly seen more than Garrett. He should be able to say to Jason...."what you are doing can easily be defended. How about you make this adjustment" But I get the sense that Wade was rendered powerless when it came to the offense and the players on offense because JERRY JONES tabbed Garrett as a genuis and privately had chosen him to replace Wade. Jerry did this without any knowledge of Garrets ability to coordinate an offense...let alone be a coach that can manage different personalities in a locker room.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score

That's a good point.

Plus, if the Cowboys defense doesn't give up two unprecedented runs ... Garrett's offense just might have beat those Ravens.

wileedog

Reaction score

When you have 3 sure fire HOF players at QB, RB, WR and one of the best offensive lines ever put together you can get away with that.

When you are down to your 3rd string RB, your QB is beaten to a pulp and your line is about as effective as a screen door on a submarine, you may want to get a little creative.

I'm willing to cut Garret some slack because he is young and there certainly were injury and massive locker room chemistry problems out of his control, but OTOH I don't believe this current mix of owner, coaches and players is the best situation for him to figure it out either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

That offense had three and later four Hall of Famers on it, too.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2560346 said:
wasn't the 1990s Cowboy offence simple as hell, about 5 plays? We just ran them perfectly so we won.

It wasn't simple but it had a tiny playbook.

It relied on execution and timing patterns but the routes and run plays all looked the same to the defenders so it wasn't easy by any means to defend.

When they say simple they mean they knew what route WRs were running, which is obvious because they were sitting on them non-stop. When an opponent you face once every few years has you figured out like that from a week of tape review... WOW.

There is a reason Jerry went from Jason as demi-god to Jason go ahead and take that Denver interview.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Reed and Ray are just yapping sour grapes because Garrett didn't want to coach them.

And what about the fourth quarter there Ed?

If Wade's defense doesn't allow two ridiculous runs there at the end I think we are talking about a 27-26 win for the Cowboys and it would have been Romo as the hero who used Garrett's offense to pull it off.

Let's not act like the Ravens shut out the Cowboys.

They allowed the Cowboys to go on two 70+ yard drives in the 4th quarter and a total of 17 fourth quarter points.

Typical player from Miami running his mouth.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with simple, but simple requires and demands perfection to execute. That means being a "not so nice guy" towards your players when they don't display a perfectionist attitude. If Jason Garrett is going to keep his schemes simple, he better develop more "drill sargeant" demeanor and less "cool summer camp counselor who will talk girls and stuff with you".

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Good defense beats good offense.

Add to that if that good defense knows what's coming it makes tough.

Then add to that, that the offense isn't quite THAT good and it becomes even more difficult.

The point is, sure we did well back in the day but we don't have Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin anymore.

TO may be good but he's not Irvin. Witten may be the closet thing to one those guys we have.

We know Romo ain't Aikman and Barber Ain't Emmitt.

We need more than 5 or 6 plays.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560367 said:
Reed and Ray are just yapping sour grapes because Garrett didn't want to coach them.

And what about the fourth quarter there Ed?

If Wade's defense doesn't allow two ridiculous runs there at the end I think we are talking about a 27-26 win for the Cowboys and it would have been Romo as the hero who used Garrett's offense to pull it off.

Let's not act like the Ravens shut out the Cowboys.

They allowed the Cowboys to go on two 70+ yard drives in the 4th quarter and a total of 17 fourth quarter points.

Typical player from Miami running his mouth.

They are (still) in the playoffs....

Winners can yap all they want imho.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
LOL. The Ravens got a great young coach that they're very happy with. I doubt they care one bit about Garrett not going there.

BTW, they just replayed Reed's comments. Mosley and Estridge are going to talk about them.