Twitter: Ed Werder: Expect Quinn to pursue Wagner

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sorry but I think we should draft and develop promising LBs, rather than overpaying someone who has already seen his better days.
We need more than just 1 guy to enter the confines of actually becoming a contending team. It's time to rebuild for the future. :huh:
Generally speaking I agree....

But there's a LOT of young players on this defense amd Wagner could be like a coach on the field and a true leader.

Much better than Lawrence telling everyone not to listen to the coaches because Jerry is really in charge.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way that makes sense is moving Parsons to DE and letting Lawrence or Gregory walk. Wagner is a better player than both of them.

He was the reason SEA had the best run D when they had Quinn there. When the Cowboys beat SEA in SEA and ran the ball on them, Wagner did not play.

Saw an interview with Sherman when the Legion was going and he gave the credit for the glue and intelligent defense to Wagner.

Wagner is what Sean Lee could have been if he hadn't had health issues.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

But there's a LOT of young players on this defense amd Wagner could be like a coach on the field and a true leader.

Much better than Lawrence telling everyone not to listen to the coaches because Jerry is really in charge.

Good point. I wouldn't have nearly the problem with that happening if Wagner were willing to accept a moderate contract.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wouldn't have nearly the problem with that happening if Wagner were willing to accept a moderate contract.
It's moot if he doesn't.

I'm hoping he wants to reunite with Quinn.

We will be outbid.

Very limited funds for non-Jones draftees.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's moot if he doesn't.

I'm hoping he wants to reunite with Quinn.

We will be outbid.

Very limited funds for non-Jones draftees.

Lets say he does want to reunite. The Cowboys would still have to make a competitive offer.

Bigdog

Reaction score
As I said in another thread we will say we have good and honest offer. The only thing it is good and honest offer for Cowboys standards.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Change the culture. Bring him in. Don’t let Micah and Diggs grow up with the Hot Boyz!

Linebackers fall off pretty fast after 30 so I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t work but what a damn good mentor for the Lion.

Seattle calling it a day now. Rebuild time.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
My guess is 18 to 20M per. It's not out of range, but I doubt they do it. They just threw 10M at Shultz.
He just got cut for making 18 aav, so my guess is he will make lower teens. But all it takes is one crazy team to throw a lot of money at him.

Motorola

Reaction score

"Legion Of Boom" as compared with "HotBoyz"

Brooksey

Reaction score
If you're bringing in Wagner, Im fine with moving Dlaw and Cooper to make the room, we also need to get everyone else signed anyway

Move Parsons to the Edge FT and get us a Big d- tackle like Jordan Davis in the draft and play him at Nose

plasticman

Reaction score
Jeez, an eight year streak of Pro Bowls.....1st team All Pro six out of the last eight seasons.....missed two games out of the last seven seasons.

I'm looking at his numbers....where is the drop off? I don't see it.

He was drafted the same year as Wilson and cut the same day. That's a step back for Seattle.

Motorola

Reaction score
Sorry but I think we should draft and develop promising LBs, rather than overpaying someone who has already seen his better days.
We need more than just 1 guy to enter the confines of actually becoming a contending team. It's time to rebuild for the future. :huh:
Cowboys took a gamble on the oft-troubled Aldon Smith a coluple of seasons ago.
Bobby Wagner is 10X better to take a chance on.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
To quote Bill Parcells : “Consider yourself sucked!”

Here we go with this drama. Slater already said Dallas is not going to interested. He’s going to want a nice pay day.

I mean yeah, of course Quinn WANTS Wagner. 30 other teams do as well.

I am sure Mike Fisher will have his typical “interest” tweet. Next week they will say we were never really interested.

But these are the moves you restructure for. This move takes you from a solid / good defense to an elite defense. Wagner and Parsons would be insane to watch

If you consider these were your 4 LBers last year......

D-Law
Parsons
LVE
Gregory

You can make the argument...you might be better this year if you can bag Wagner

Parsons
Wagner
Hitchens
Armstrong

Flamma

Reaction score
He just got cut for making 18 aav, so my guess is he will make lower teens. But all it takes is one crazy team to throw a lot of money at him.

Well, I think his contract ran out. They just have no desire to pay him during a rebuild. That said, I think you're right. I just think he'll be a bit over paid due to being an FA. There's always someone.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys took a gamble on the oft-troubled Aldon Smith a coluple of seasons ago.
Bobby Wagner is 10X better to take a chance on.

It's highly questionable whether or not Wagner would accept what Stephen would be inclined to offer.

Would BW be willing to accept a mere pittance of a contract while others offered considerably more?

It's anything but inconceivable that Stephen would be somewhat more inclined to sign a tier 3 vet FA.

While it's likely fair to say that Quinn would welcome BW into the fold, the FO will have the last word.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Starting in 1989, the Cowboys used veterans from other teams in their rebuilding process, guys like Jack Del Rio and Vincent Smith.

However, they were eventually replaced as Jimmy built his team through the draft. Vincent Smith started the first Super Bowl in the 1992 season. Other than that, the starters were very young high draft picks in round 1 to 3,

Robert Jones 1st round
Ken Norton 2nd round
Dixon Edwards 2nd round
Darrin Smith 2nd round
Godfrey Miles 3rd round

I think Jimmy used the veterans to mentor the younger guys on how to be professional football players. I think it's no coincidence that Del Rio went into coaching and was a HC for a few seasons. Smith was a high school coach until he became owner of a bail bonds business.