Twitter: Ed Werder: Expect Quinn to pursue Wagner

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
and i fully expect the Stephen Jones led front office ..to tell Quinn " heck nah, .. no way cheap ... so now walk it off "

Stephen apparently does not even want to re-sign his Pro Bowl punter to a mere 5 mil per year, ..what chance does perennial All pro and possible future HOF er whose still playing
at a high level Bobby Wagner have ?

It isn't about not wanting to pay players. It's figuring out where you want the cap dollars to go. The Cowboys don't think a punter is worth $5 million per year. I don't expect them to sign Wagner because his asking price will be above their value of the position, but the idea that they aren't willing to pay big money should be put to bed by contracts like the one they gave Prescott.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I just can’t get our hopes up any more w signing outside guys

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol. There's too many to list. Just in defensive tackles alone there were players like Suh, Atkins, Cox. Etc etc....,we've needed tackles for a decade and never signed a blue chipper like that tiny sample size
stay in 22..right now..lol

ICP

Reaction score
Another 1-year incentive laden budget-friendly contract with a team option for a second year

visionary

Reaction score
He’s stupid if he comes here

Also, Stephen probably called and cussed out the GM of the Seahawks for releasing Wagner so now he has to come up with an excuse why we won’t sign him

kumizi

Reaction score
Don’t spend big money on a punter…..what’s an extra 5 yards per punt really?
Don’t spend big money on a 33 year old LB…..it’s time to get younger and have someone for 4-5 years minimum.
Some people just eat up what Stephen is selling. We’re not interested in good established players. Need more Trysten Hills and Nashon Wrights. Always two years away from being contenders.

quickccc

Reaction score
It isn't about not wanting to pay players. It's figuring out where you want the cap dollars to go. The Cowboys don't think a punter is worth $5 million per year. I don't expect them to sign Wagner because his asking price will be above their value of the position, but the idea that they aren't willing to pay big money should be put to bed by contracts like the one they gave Prescott.

If you’re truly talking about winning, ..and knowing the methods to win, .. then it is about paying players, if you’re able to be in a position to pay for significant players – core players.

- You gonna have give up something to get something, ..
And its been the course and blueprint to several past SB wins.

- The Pats, the Rams, Baltimore, even Philly brought in FA help to bridge their paths to winning SBs, .. it doesn’t mean going all out on a spending spree such as the Rams did,
But it does tend to show that there’s a need for a “ middle ground “ significant vet player or two to try to help and give their respective teams an improvement chance
of trying to get over the top and win a SB.

- If the Cowboys feel they can go back out on the street and get another cheap Pro bowl caliber punter again without dishing having to dish out 5 mil,. ..that’s their gamble.
They likely already have their Chris Jones, or Hunter Niswander type set in mind,

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you’re truly talking about winning, ..and knowing the methods to win, .. then it is about paying players, if you’re able to be in a position to pay for significant players – core players.

- You gonna have give up something to get something, ..
And its been the course and blueprint to several past SB wins.

- The Pats, the Rams, Baltimore, even Philly brought in FA help to bridge their paths to winning SBs, .. it doesn’t mean going all out on a spending spree such as the Rams did,
But it does tend to show that there’s a need for a “ middle ground “ significant vet player or two to try to help and give their respective teams an improvement chance
of trying to get over the top and win a SB.

- If the Cowboys feel they can go back out on the street and get another cheap Pro bowl caliber punter again without dishing having to dish out 5 mil,. ..that’s their gamble.
They likely already have their Chris Jones, or Hunter Niswander type set in mind,

I don't think they see a significant enough drop-off from Anger to Niswander to justify spending what it would take to retain Anger. The problem with that argument, of course, is that you don't put the best players you can out there. Do that at enough positions and that's part of the reason you keep coming up short in the playoffs. I don't think the Joneses comprehend that part of it.

They could retain Anger (and do what else they want) with some cap manipulation, but they seem to only want to manipulate the cap when it suits them.

LittleD

Reaction score
Wagner is not going to play for pennies and Stephen only shops in the below bargain bin at KMart. Forget Wagner... Look for cheap players and you'll find Stephen Jone lurking there.

Aven8

Reaction score
Wagner was available last season as well and we didn’t do anything. And now that Quinn knows Parsons, Wagner is the 2nd best LB he’s coached

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To quote Bill Parcells : “Consider yourself sucked!”

Here we go with this drama. Slater already said Dallas is not going to interested. He’s going to want a nice pay day.

I mean yeah, of course Quinn WANTS Wagner. 30 other teams do as well.

I am sure Mike Fisher will have his typical “interest” tweet. Next week they will say we were never really interested.

But these are the moves you restructure for. This move takes you from a solid / good defense to an elite defense. Wagner and Parsons would be insane to watch
Fish already did lol