Ed Werner good scoop on Hill

CWR

Reaction score
Other than Zeke, Fred was the last pick I had right.

Youre in the minority for picking Fred correctly. I wasn't thrilled at the time but relaxed after seeing him scouted as the best center in the draft. Only thing bothered me was it being reported as a reach. But you know, get your guy and all.

conner01

Reaction score
Youre in the minority for picking Fred correctly. I wasn't thrilled at the time but relaxed after seeing him scouted as the best center in the draft. Only thing bothered me was it being reported as a reach. But you know, get your guy and all.
I rarely get a pick right lol
I just loved the player and after max unger I felt they wouldn’t let him slip away

Reactions: CWR

Bluefin

Reaction score
This makes me feel.worse about the pick
There's good and bad in there, IMO.

All the NFL defensive coordinators loved Trysten HIll's athleticism and effort on film. One of them questioned his potential love for the game, and another thought he was a 4th-5th round talent.

If a player is going hard every snap and chasing runners 20 yards downfield in some cases, that isn't going to make me question his love for the game. The problem with practicing hard could, but Randy Shannon explained some guys just have to learn that the hard way and Hill improved late in the season when his light bulb finally came on.

He's said to be a smart player, but he wasn't quick on the uptake about needing strong practice habits and how the scheme change last year would benefit him. Those are negatives, but he did learn in the end.

Hill's lack of production in college can be partly explained by playing NT in a 3-4 before his final season and then needing time to understand the scheme change last year and buy in. Shannon and Greg Gabriel believe Hill is a perfect fit for Rod Marinelli's scheme. Everyone polled loved his effort and athleticism.

Dallas dug deep on Hill and came away convinced he loves football and fits their culture.

I still believe they locked in on Trysten and were too worried they wouldn't be able to get him after #58. Connor McGovern was the highest rated player available in the second round and they seemingly didn't even consider him there (window dressing), it was between Hill and safety Juan Thornhill, who's more athletic, more productive, safer (higher floor) and also plays a position of great need.

But they've admitted to thinking it might still be possible to address S/CB at #90. As I speculated yesterday, in their view, it was take Hill at #58 or miss out on potential impact DL in the draft.

We shall see.