Ed Werner good scoop on Hill

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not the same situation because the player is totally different. Jerry and Stephen need to be smacked for not only still paying marinelli but actually taking his advice on who to draft. He would.have been there at 90. Or trade up and get khalen Saunders
That is too complicated for them, even though those decisions would have very likely produced much better results.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He spoke to 4 NFL DC and this is what they had to say:

1. DL coach liked him alot.
2. Thought he can become Sheldon Richardson type player.
3. Very immature player with major coachability issues
4. Felt he would get drafted round 4-5 because of possibly attitude issues.

He didn't stop there. He had Hill DC on and this is what he basically said.

No one will out hustle him getting to ball. Has amazing first step. Team switched coaching staff and it took Hill time to buy into new system. Reason he only started 1 game last year is because they reward player who practice hard with starting games (this means Hill wasn't really doing what they wanted in practice so he didn't start).Toward end of year he really started to get it and played better.

Marinelli & Hill spoke on phone for weeks and it became father/son type relationship.

My take:
Hill has alot of upside. This is boom or bust type pick. Dallas probably drafted him too soon but felt relationship between Marinelli & Hill mitigated some of those coachability issues. Dallas had a massive need for young DT so we can't fault them for pick. What I think they should have done was trade back up for that S.

Mom I need a hot pocket right now, and a grape soda,,
I hope the kid can get it, grow up , and stay away from hot pockets and grape sodas!

jnday

Reaction score
Either these quotes from his coaches and scouting reports are all a part of a smear campaign against Hill or he shown to be immature, argumentative, mouthy, and unmotivated. Maybe it’s scheme. But that doesn’t make him pouting and acting like a man baby ok.

Also..look at his stats the first 2 years when he was happy with the system. His production was not impressive at all.

Most write ups say he wasn’t even on teams radars until he came to the combine and had good workouts.
So he is a workout warrior that hasn’t produced and has attitude, effort issues.

It’s amazing how many fans will create their own narrative they use to sell themselves on personnel moves,
Thank you for actually posting facts about Hill instead of some homer propaganda. A player that has an attitude like Hill has is pure poison. Remember how TO’s attitude ripped the Eagles apart?

jnday

Reaction score
My son is like that, so I'm getting a better understanding of players like him.
He plays college football now. His coaches admit he's the best corner on the team. He went to one of the top high football schools in the nation and learned how to play the position. The other guys on the team don't know as much as he does because they come from lesser programs. His DB coach has even told me this. They love his toughness on the field, his brashness and his playmaking ability. But they don't start him because he is (was last year) a redshirt freshman, and they want to play older players.

But it frustrates my son that he has to wait his turn when he knows he's better than the other guys. That saps his energy and crushes his spirit. It makes him have little regard and respect for his coaches. Even though I tell him to remain patience, sometimes players, when they know they're good and when they're told by their coaches they're good, but are treated like they're not, they get discouraged.

Real players want to play. And when they don't or can't, they lose respect for their coaches.

Maybe this is the case with Hill. We'll see.
Check some of the previous posts to find out the real reasons for Hill not starting.

jnday

Reaction score
from what I saw...I liked.
big.
athletic.
Ive wanted them to take a DT and FINALLY they did.
I would have rather had a S but this guy is a good player.
Im gonna give him a chance.
his potential is sky high...I hope he is that MONSTER we've been clamoring for.
I hope he eats people.
GO GET'M BIG MAN.
Dude, calm down. When a draft pick gives you hopes of eating people, you are taking this too seriously.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
"Boom or Bust" is one of my favorite NFL cliches.

What does it even mean? He's going to either be an All Pro or out of the league?

He's going to be a starter or inactive every game?

He's going to go to the Hall of Fame or someone is going to find evidence he's the Zodiac Killer?

It means that he has the potential to be a probowl caliber player for you.....................that's the boom.

It also means that there is a chance he is nothing more than a JAG............................that's the bust.

risco

Reaction score
I wonder what will happen if Garett and the rest of his coaching staff contracts are not renewed after the season. This is a cut throat business and coaches come a go.
Hill will probably nut up!

Macnalty

Reaction score
This is a huge boom or huge bust of a pick....

If this kid treats football like Gregory or Irving we can count this 2019 draft as a compete wash
That is the kind of gamble the Jones like to make with the second round pick, lets see how this one plays out.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, as I said before the draft you take a guy like this and throw money in his lap it may not work out well.
but I hope for the best and if it doesn't work out he and marinelli can take the same bus out of town.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score

No one will out hustle him getting to ball. Has amazing first step. Team switched coaching staff and it took Hill time to buy into new system. Reason he only started 1 game last year is because they reward player who practice hard with starting games (this means Hill wasn't really doing what they wanted in practice so he didn't start).Toward end of year he really started to get it and played better.

Marinelli & Hill spoke on phone for weeks and it became father/son type relationship.

My take:
Hill has alot of upside. This is boom or bust type pick. Dallas probably drafted him too soon but felt relationship between Marinelli & Hill mitigated some of those coachability issues. Dallas had a massive need for young DT so we can't fault them for pick. What I think they should have done was trade back up for that S.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering why Hill didn't start. I had not read much on him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

My take:
I'm going with the Hill name only. Hill has a historical name in Dallas lore. There's Calvin Hill, Thrill Hill and now Trysten. I mean, basing it on name only makes as much sense as basing it on a college career. Is he coachable, that's my question but that's the question I have on every draftee. If they come in with their head so huge it won't fit through the locker room door then they'll be left in the hallway. David Irving is a prime example of a player who was uncoachable and who's ego got in the way

Scotman

Reaction score
There is another way of looking at this kid.

What if he was EXCEPTIONALLY coachable? What if he came to college at 18 and completely bought into what the coaches were telling him to do? What if he was just learning how to harness that raw power and quick twitch?

And you insert NEW coaches who, like often happens when leadership changes, try to distance themselves from everything and everyone the previous leadership trusted.

Caught in the mix is a 19 or 20 year old kid who is fiercely loyal to his previous coaches.

And now the kid is fiercely loyal to his new team and coaches.

I have no idea if the young man will pan out. But, watching his highlights, he truly does get off the snap extremely fast. He's like a pitcher with an amazing fastball before he learns to control it.

Our drafts have been amazing lately. I'm going to wait a while before I criticize this draft from my living room.

CWR

Reaction score
There is another way of looking at this kid.

What if he was EXCEPTIONALLY coachable? What if he came to college at 18 and completely bought into what the coaches were telling him to do? What if he was just learning how to harness that raw power and quick twitch?

And you insert NEW coaches who, like often happens when leadership changes, try to distance themselves from everything and everyone the previous leadership trusted.

Caught in the mix is a 19 or 20 year old kid who is fiercely loyal to his previous coaches.

And now the kid is fiercely loyal to his new team and coaches.

I have no idea if the young man will pan out. But, watching his highlights, he truly does get off the snap extremely fast. He's like a pitcher with an amazing fastball before he learns to control it.

Our drafts have been amazing lately. I'm going to wait a while before I criticize this draft from my living room.

Thats a really good point. You have to imagine there is more to that story and we aren't simply stupid, taking a stupid risk.

I preferred a safety BUT that doesnt mean this pick automatically sucks. So much jumping to conclusions around here, and directly after many did the same thing post LVE.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

My take:

YOUR take exactly nailed my stance completely. They gambled and lost. Hill would have been there in the 3rd round and should have either taken Hill and then traded up for the safety in the 3rd or taken Thornhill and waited on Hill in the 3rd.

Thats why this draft becomes a C instead of a B.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In the end, Dallas got their guy, and I hope we're all pleased with the end result.

I felt it was way too early with too much bust potential versus other players available. Jerry Jones admitted it came down to Trysten Hill versus Juan Thornhill, and they really liked the safety, but went with their guy.

Much like we saw in 2013 when the team surprised everyone by selecting C Travis Frederick, I think Hill was the last potential impact DT available on their board while there was still several names at safety they might be able to get later. It was Frederick or nada on OL in '13 and it was the same at DT with Hill this year.

EXACTLY.........This was the classic "reach" pick in a position of need for a last grasp player at the position that comes with issues.

Instead of just taking the guy you REALLY liked with no issues at another position of major need.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"Boom or Bust" is one of my favorite NFL cliches.

What does it even mean? He's going to either be an All Pro or out of the league?

He's going to be a starter or inactive every game?

He's going to go to the Hall of Fame or someone is going to find evidence he's the Zodiac Killer?

Ummmmmmmmmm.........Gregory, Jaylon Smith, Irvin, Lee. Perfect examples of EXACTLY the crazy scenarios that you just pointed out. Hill is our latest edition of the 2nd round boom or bust strategy of the Dallas Cowboys.