Electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaZon

Reaction score
We own three vehicles, wife has her SUV I have my Pontiac Gran Prix and we also own a Toyota T100 truck, yep, need them all. Now can we get by with just one electric car....nope! Can we afford two of them, nope! We do need a truck, so an electric truck...?

My son owns a Dodge Challenger, he has it all jazzed up, he's proud of his car. So he gives that up for an electric car?

What a stupid idea.

Ya open the doors on that Challenger and lights shine on the ground out of the doors, no way my son is happy with an electric car.

Like my car

270373.jpg

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My wife has an all-electric Nissan Leaf. We have a 240v charger at the house. My wife is self-employed so the car fits her perfectly to drive around town. It's a fun car to drive and when you take it out of "ECO" mode it can hang with most cars from a stand still. I still have a truck and an ICE car for tasks that require longer distances. Oh, and we have solar panels so my wife likes to think the sun is powering her car.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would not mind one of these...

The Corvette got a late start, slow start. But Electric motors are notorious for delivering max torque instantaneously. I am not sure if anyone buys an electric car for that characteristic though. Still a sub 11 sec quarter mile is impressive for a stock car of any kind.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the future of individual transportation has not been invented yet, or maybe just not perfected. I am not convinced the battery powered electric motor is sustainable. I think as metals needed to make batteries and electric motors become more expensive, it will open the door for technologies that may appear too expensive today.

rags747

Reaction score
I think the future of individual transportation has not been invented yet, or maybe just not perfected. I am not convinced the battery powered electric motor is sustainable. I think as metals needed to make batteries and electric motors become more expensive, it will open the door for technologies that may appear too expensive today.
Technologies that appear too expensive today? Such as what, I’m not aware of any.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We own three vehicles, wife has her SUV I have my Pontiac Gran Prix and we also own a Toyota T100 truck, yep, need them all. Now can we get by with just one electric car....nope! Can we afford two of them, nope! We do need a truck, so an electric truck...?

My son owns a Dodge Challenger, he has it all jazzed up, he's proud of his car. So he gives that up for an electric car?

What a stupid idea.

Ya open the doors on that Challenger and lights shine on the ground out of the doors, no way my son is happy with an electric car.

Like my car

:facepalm:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If you live in a windy area, I would highly consider lost mileage due to headwind.

Friend has a Tesla and was driving up last week in a high-wide area. 60 mph headwind forced him to stop 2 times for about an hour each on a trip that's about 350 miles total. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. He had to stop at one spot and charge for an hour, drove about 80 miles into the wind and needed another charge to finish the trip.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you live in a windy area, I would highly consider lost mileage due to headwind.

Friend has a Tesla and was driving up last week in a high-wide area. 60 mph headwind forced him to stop 2 times for about an hour each on a trip that's about 350 miles total. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. He had to stop at one spot and charge for an hour, drove about 80 miles into the wind and needed another charge to finish the trip.

Wind also affects mileage on ICE vehicles, though the inconvenience is obviously greater with electric vehicles in terms of charging time.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I was working in NM years ago and I had to make round trips to Santa Fe down south. Headwinds one way made me get 1/4 tank less mileage than the other way. Getting gas was a lot easier than waiting for a charge.

rags747

Reaction score
Wind also affects mileage on ICE vehicles, though the inconvenience is obviously greater with electric vehicles in terms of charging time.
Charging times are really not that bad, can add about 150 miles in about 20 minutes or so. Obviously not as fast as ICE, but much less killer than many make it out to be.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Beam me up Scotty....

John813

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to electric cars. But just haven't seen one that made me go, " I need it". Well the plaid is one but I can't afford it.

Looking forward to the F-150 Lightning-hate the name- but guess I look the appearance of a "regular" truck.

It's inevitable that they are the future of automobiles.

jsb357

Reaction score
for people that live in town, work reasonably close, never haul anything except groceries,
and when they travel more than a few hundred miles they park at the airport,
electric cars make sense.

whatever you do, don't think you are saving the planet by driving one.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
There are also hybrids that use gas/diesel and electric batteries. That combo can be used for all types of applications from supercars like Ferrari and Lambo, trucks for hauling to commuter cars to increase gas mileage. There were people last winter during the snowstorm that had their power knocked out that used their Ford Hybrid trucks to power their homes.

I watched a video yesterday of a breakdown with the Audi Hybrid that was raced in the Dakar Rally and the tech was insane. They had an impressive performance especially considering it was the first time out with this concept and the car was literally completed the day before the rally started. They didn't finish first overall, but they won multiple stages and did not have problems with their motors, gas/electric, the issues they did have were suspension related.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Might want to get use to the idea because the combustion engine is on it's deathbed. With the CAFE standards, companies tooling to mass produce electric platforms, and models getting more affordable....the writing is on the wall. I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight, but it's coming. Washington state is already kicking off a trend with a ban of combustion engine sales by 2030, with others looking to follow. Even technology evolves. Besides, you want a sustainable future for your kids and grandkids?

As far as EV goes for me? I'd sign up tomorrow on a electric F-150 if they could just squeeze a little bit more range out of it. Right now they are saying around 230 miles a charge, but what happens when I am towing my 7200 pound trailer? I'm fine with that around town, but that 230 miles is pretty limiting for me to head up into the Idaho mountains with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creeper

Reaction score

It sounds to me like the power consumption to drive into t he wind with an EV is much greater than the fuel consumption of an ICE.
Technologies that appear too expensive today? Such as what, I’m not aware of any.

I was referring to hydrogen, which is only now becoming less expensive to produce with solar and wind generated electricity. Hydrogen is an ideal fuel because it can be derived from water, it is easy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen and when H2 burns it it combines with O2 to form water again. Not long ago, electricity produced from fossils fuels made the electrolysis process too expensive. There is no carbon used in the process so there can be no carbon emissions. As producing H2 becomes less and less expensive it becomes more appealing as a fuel. Hydrogen powered cars are much more like ICE driven cars. They have a range similar to ICEs and refueling only take a few minutes. People just need to get over that Hindenburg thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.