Elephant In The Room In 2021

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What to do with Tyron Smith? Do we look for a replacement in free agency or do we draft one? His time may have ran out in the NFL as he has been unavailable and oft injured the last few years.
I would draft a top LT as soon as possible. They are the 2nd or 3rd hardest talents to find in this league.
He'll the starting left tackle week 1.

We have the worst defense in the NFL. We dont have any cap space. We need to sign Dak. We dont have the luxury of replacing Tyron.
I hope Ty Smith is back 100%. But dreaming “best case scenarios” is the specialty of the Jones FO. Hope is not a strategy for improvement. I would love it if Ty Smith is starting at 100% next year. But by gawd I would be prepared if he isn’t. And yes we need tons of help on defense too. It’s not either or.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What to do with Tyron Smith? Do we look for a replacement in free agency or do we draft one? His time may have ran out in the NFL as he has been unavailable and oft injured the last few years.
More like the elephant at the circus.

To be sure he'll be here next year as I believe they just restructured him again, but after that...
I wouldn't mind getting his replacement ready.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I feel like OT should be addressed every offseason, along with backup QB, but we're not in a must-have situation. Knight has looked great at times and that's without a real camp. Draft someone and take a dip in FA, but it doesn't need to be a focal point.

Kaiser

Reaction score
that is what scares me. To continue to count on a guy who has seen better days is a mistake.

The team has said they have been asking him to have this surgery for three years and he delayed it, but they think he will be as good as new. It may be a smokescreen, but its likely true.

I always go back to the example of Jason Peters, he missed a year with injury at the same age and came back to four Pro Bowl seasons after that. Tyron's game is power instead of quickness and that doesn't leave as quickly in a player hitting 30.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The window has closed on our once elite OLIne. Zach was the only one we could count on. Now that he has crossed the injury line, it's hard to imagine he will stay completely healthy. I wonder if he has been playing with an injury and it got worse. It's the Cowboy way.
Have to say that the current line has started to improve, but it's too early to say they are they are the future.

T-RO

Reaction score
that is what scares me. To continue to count on a guy who has seen better days is a mistake.

Tyron is far from an aging, fading player. He has played at or near Pro Bowl level and is just 29.

The key is: was his recent surgery a success. Prior to this Tyron had 4 consecutive years where he played 13 games. Guess what? Look at tackles around the league! Few of them are out there playing 16 games a season.

Many, many NFL o-lineman have missed chunks of this season, or gone out for the year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

We have the worst defense in the NFL. We dont have any cap space. We need to sign Dak. We dont have the luxury of replacing Tyron.

And sadly, by the end of the year the team will likely have had to replace him at some point. He hasn't played 16 games in 5 seasons. I'll take him if he can be out there, but I don't expect him to be able to hold up.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Time to move on. He was another great wasted by Jerry. He can’t be counted on at a key position.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s a good question. It’s all about his health which we really don’t know all the details. But it’s not looking good for him based on the last few years. A FA LT of any decency will cost big bucks so I’m all for finding a youngster.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Start him and look to replace him.

If he retired tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Such a stud player - too bad about injuries; still better than most at his position despite it.

Yep..

I’ll never forget watching USC because everyone was hyping their Left Tackle.

As I was watching it I came straight to Cowboyszone and was like who is USC’s right tackle?

He absolutely jumped off the screen.. He was very skinny but everything else was just unbelievable.

stiletto

Reaction score

Yeah, your plan goes to S if a Dr tells him to retire or face Paralysis.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
free agency and trades.. as long as we are thrifty as possible.

Does your tv refuse to show the Cowboys defense??

After watching a defense that couldnt stop my 84 year old mother you still want to concentrate on protecting the QB :huh::huh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You got to start looking for his replacement, I dont think he can play 16 anymore.

Sewell probably goes #3 to Cinci, but if he is still on the board at pick 4 we have to take him.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I feel like OT should be addressed every offseason, along with backup QB, but we're not in a must-have situation. Knight has looked great at times and that's without a real camp. Draft someone and take a dip in FA, but it doesn't need to be a focal point.

Well, they drafted 2 in 2015 and signed La'el.

2016 and 2017 they didn't draft any, but they picked up a few, including Byron Bell.

2018 Dallas then drafted Connor Williams and signed Cam Fleming.

2019 they didn't draft any but resigned Fleming.

And this isn't even any of the practice squad guys. So, suffice it to say, they have been "trying" at Tackle.