Elephant In The Room In 2021

Reaction score
If we beat the Bengals we likely will end up with pick 5-8 somewhere in that range so there will be no chance at Sewell at that point. If we lose we could end up as low as 3.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I never said defense isn't a top priority. OBVIOUSLY that is a massive issue. But if we cannot protect Dak from the blindside, that is also a massive issue. Tyron has a ton of miles on those tires and has broken down often. How foolish would it be to ignore that?

So if you spend your first round pick on Sewell you ARE ignoring the defense.

Second round players hardly ever get to the NFL as a starter in the first year and it takes them years to be come a regular/good starter.....look at Diggs, he's got potential but wont be a good regular for another two years.

We cannot pander to the offense at every excuse. It doesnt matter about protecting the QB (the back-ups did ok vrs the Ravens), when your defensive day 1 starters cant stop the run - Washington running game will get two wins per year as we just cant stop them (before first game it was even ranked the worst rushing offense).

aria

Reaction score
When I read the title I didn’t think he was being literal about the elephant.

Prossman

Reaction score
Is there a blue chip top 5 guy in this draft ? the top end ,cb and dt opted out for the season because of covid. what we dont need is to pass on a potential hall of famer on offense for a good defensive guy. See passing on Randy Moss for greg ellis because we needed a defensive end.

starfan1

Reaction score
We need at least 3-5 new starters on defense.

Would you rather be scared of counting on Tyron? or scared of counting on Xavier Woods? or Antwaun Woods? Or Anthony Brown?
I dont think that being scared of counting on Tyron means you have to neglect the other. We can pick up a OT in the draft if we lose to Cincy were in prime shape to draft the best one in the draft. Or were in shape to leverage a trade down with someone like Cincy who needs one bad. Replacing Zavier or Antwan for that matter shouldn't be that hard even if you draft Oline first there will be players . Replacing them with top notch talent is another thing. Anthony Brown is going to be here he's under contract i believe till 2022

Tyron has to be a concern to this front office by now if he isn't that's a problem. That said I think we can find depth later as well.

I'm captain tradedown but we have to find a partner

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I dont think that being scared of counting on Tyron means you have to neglect the other. We can pick up a OT in the draft if we lose to Cincy were in prime shape to draft the best one in the draft. Or were in shape to leverage a trade down with someone like Cincy who needs one bad. Replacing Zavier or Antwan for that matter shouldn't be that hard even if you draft Oline first there will be players . Replacing them with top notch talent is another thing. Anthony Brown is going to be here he's under contract i believe till 2022

Tyron has to be a concern to this front office by now if he isn't that's a problem. That said I think we can find depth later as well.

I'm captain tradedown but we have to find a partner

This scenario is the endemic issue with the organisation (and aspects of the fan base), the obsession with names rather than performance.

Smith's out, Collin's out, Martin out ....but our O-Line certainly wasnt disgraced by a strong Ravens defense.

The return of Collins and Martin will sure up the O-line sufficiently that whilst it may not be world class, it's certainly functional (and yes we need to improve the depth).

The defense is appalling (as mentioned above), but as per usual we want to pick names not players.

Parsons is supposedly good against the run and there are a number of DT's likely to go at the latter end of the 1st round, i'm with you lets try and trade down.....we have so many hole's defensively we need numbers.

foofighters

Reaction score
What to do with Tyron Smith? Do we look for a replacement in free agency or do we draft one? His time may have ran out in the NFL as he has been unavailable and oft injured the last few years.
We need to start looking but unfortunately, all of our attention should be on the defense and Dak.

Creeper

Reaction score
Tyron Smith's CAP number is just over $14 million in 2021. $10.5 million of that is salary and the rest is prorated restructured bonus. If they cut him after June 1 or designate him as a June 1 cut, they get a $6.75 million net save in 2021 and about $5.3 million in dead money in 2022. I would hate to create another hole in the roster, but cutting Smith will help get them where they need to be if they choose to franchise Dak again. And frankly, I am concerned Smith is going to miss time every year from here on.

This team is in serious need of defense and with Lewis and Awuzie becoming free agents in 2021 they may need to draft a CB in the first round.

Again, I think it comes back to Dak. If the Cowboys sign him the CAP space they need to keep some players or sign others disappears. If Dak sticks to his demand for a 4 year deal it really hampers the Cowboys ability to spread his CAP impact out.

Carson

Reaction score
But me thinks the Bengals beat us, so...

No way. They have a shot at their starting LT for 10+ years and can move Jonah Williams to LG or RT. Bobby Hart has one year left on his deal. They have no shot at anything ... they’ll lose

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
If we take Sewell, I think we’ll see Collins moved to guard. Sewell would probably get a year or two at RT if Tyron can last that long.

No matter what, depth must be addressed. We can’t rely on Tyron staying healthy.

EST_1986

Reaction score
He'll the starting left tackle week 1.

We have the worst defense in the NFL. We dont have any cap space. We need to sign Dak. We dont have the luxury of replacing Tyron.
and he will be the injured tackle by week 1 quarter 3