News: Elliott's deal is becoming the NFL's worst

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I've sat on the sideline long enough on this topic. I can no longer refrain from weighing in.

The Dallas Cowboys stayed in bed with Jason Garrett far too long....that more than anything is biggest problem with this team and the fallout will continue a couple of more years.

Why do I bring this up? To provide context on WHY Zeke is here. Jason Garrett's vision for a team he is the head coach of is to mirror the 90s Cowboys. Hence the investment in the OL, RB and Dez/Cooper etc. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in the OL is massive. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in a RB is massive. The same can be said about Cooper when you consider we traded a 1st round pick and have paid him a lot of money.

Let us not forget that the idea was to control the clock with the running game and keep the defense off the field. To wear down teams over the course of the game and the course of a season. But the problem with this approach is the 90s approach cannot be duplicated for SEVERAL reasons.....but I will just mention a few. The 90s Cowboys running game was unique because no one else deployed 4 - 5 300lb OL...so we simply won the game before the game even started. Defenses did not see that in practice nor did they see that as the played their schedule against other NFL teams. They simply could not hold up to the physicality Dallas deployed. Not to mention the ALL TIME great that Larry Allen was. DL, LBers are bigger, faster, stronger today. The collisions are more violent. We will NEVER see another Emmit Smith again. That is not to say Emmit Smith was not great. He is one of my 3 favorite Cowboys....but Emmit would NEVER duplicate what he did in todays NFL. His body...much like today's RB...would simply not hold up. The same goes for WR. In Garrets offense....the WR never caught the ball in space. The WR always had CBs draped all over them. It worked in the 90s because of Troy Aikmans accuracy....but the windows the QB has to fit the ball in Garrets offense makes it tough on the entire offense. As a WR....you were tackled immediately and violently as soon as you catch the ball because Garrett did not SCHEME you open. You could not run after catch and decide how you would you would be tackled. From the OL, to the RB to the WRs....it was about being the most physical. Be more physical than the man in front of you and that was our recipe for success. Not sure what they did all week in practice and why the watched so much film...because everyone said Dallas was the easiest team to defend...because it was what you see is what you get. Garrett was and never has been a X or O guy. There are lots of other reasons as well...but I will leave it at this for now

Which brings us back to Zeke. He is physically beat up...our OL is physically beat up....we have ONE man standing from Garrets grand vision for the OL....Zach Martin. Dez was/is physically beat up. THIS is why you hear people say Garrett wasted the career of a lot of great players. He PHYSICALLY had them BEAT up. Zeke and his agent saw this knew this and made sure they protected themselves from Garrett and his street fight approach. If you spend a top 4 pick on a RB....you need to make sure he is special and get 6 GREAT years out of that RB. Zeke WAS special. But we relied on him WAY too much. Jerry and Jason saw him as a player that must get 500 touches a season to justify the investment. That is absolutely the DUMBEST approach based on what I mentioned about the physical punishment you endure against the modern day defensive player. The way McCarthy is using Pollard/Zeke is how it should have been done from day 1. You do not have to hand it Zeke 27 times a game....throw it to him 5 - 7 times a game...use him in all short yardage situations, all goal line situations and have pick up the blitz the rest of the game....the body can only take so much. Why are the COACHES even there if it is the Zeke show all day and all night? Why are the other PLAYERS getting a paycheck if it is the Zeke show all day and all night?

So in hindsight the Zeke deal looks bad...but it is not his fault in my opinion.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The contract was designed to be able to cut bait with Zeke if he is no longer performing well after its 3rd season. So we are going to be stuck with Zeke through the 2021 season.
I'd love to think that was the case but I dont agree.

His 2022 salary is guaranteed if not cut in March 2021.

His 2021 salary is already guaranteed.

They would have to cut someone who has a fully guaranteed salary. I dont think they would do that, and I have no idea how it would affect the cap since it's likely unprecedented.

I dont see Jerry cutting bait with his buddy when he has to pay him anyway....although I'm hopeful lol.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Nobody pays top dollars for a RB that can't get away from anyone. Right now Zeke is the same as Mark Ingram, a powerful runner that can get you the tough yards but cant' hit a home run.
That's not a good enough answer.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't know about the signs of decline at the time of contract, he was winning rushing titles still, but yeah, the off field stuff was a disaster. One thing after another.
Statistically you're correct. the decline i think had more to do with the eye test than anything. He bulked up, lost some burst, etc. It would certainly be unfair to say he wasn't productive though. I think he turned into more of a limited back.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Mediocre....:facepalm:
He isn’t? What’s his record against good teams again? The great pretender he is. If people are mad about giving zeke money they should be pinching their pockets with dak also.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What is your plan for the massive cap hit?
Realistically zeke is here for 2 more years
Correct.

Cap acceleration may be different on a trade. They would have to find a partner there....and he would not be fetching any type of significant return.

Jerry just doesnt work this way. He wants to be buddies with everyone and will stick by 21 for way too long....same as many other cases.

blumayne38

Reaction score
And how many Zoners were ALL over Jerry to sign Elliott when he was holding out? I could pull up the archives now a few pages & expose them all. Jerry's fault?! Easy to say now that Elliott didn't work out isn't it!
rolleye0014.gif
After 1 season on a bad team with 2 mediocre QBs.

conner01

Reaction score
Correct.

Cap acceleration may be different on a trade. They would have to find a partner there....and he would not be fetching any type of significant return.

Jerry just doesnt work this way. He wants to be buddies with everyone and will stick by 21 for way too long....same as many other cases.
If one believes it’s one of the worst deals in football how can one think a trade is possible
I think 2 years he’s gone and that’s how his deal was structured to begin with
In 2 years Jerry may not be making that decision anyway

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

They would have to cut someone who has a fully guaranteed salary. I dont think they would do that, and I have no idea how it would affect the cap since it's likely unprecedented.

I dont see Jerry cutting bait with his buddy when he has to pay him anyway....although I'm hopeful lol.
We'll see. ;)

blumayne38

Reaction score
I've sat on the sideline long enough on this topic. I can no longer refrain from weighing in.

The Dallas Cowboys stayed in bed with Jason Garrett far too long....that more than anything is biggest problem with this team and the fallout will continue a couple of more years.

Why do I bring this up? To provide context on WHY Zeke is here. Jason Garrett's vision for a team he is the head coach of is to mirror the 90s Cowboys. Hence the investment in the OL, RB and Dez/Cooper etc. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in the OL is massive. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in a RB is massive. The same can be said about Cooper when you consider we traded a 1st round pick and have paid him a lot of money.

Let us not forget that the idea was to control the clock with the running game and keep the defense off the field. To wear down teams over the course of the game and the course of a season. But the problem with this approach is the 90s approach cannot be duplicated for SEVERAL reasons.....but I will just mention a few. The 90s Cowboys running game was unique because no one else deployed 4 - 5 300lb OL...so we simply won the game before the game even started. Defenses did not see that in practice nor did they see that as the played their schedule against other NFL teams. They simply could not hold up to the physicality Dallas deployed. Not to mention the ALL TIME great that Larry Allen was. DL, LBers are bigger, faster, stronger today. The collisions are more violent. We will NEVER see another Emmit Smith again. That is not to say Emmit Smith was not great. He is one of my 3 favorite Cowboys....but Emmit would NEVER duplicate what he did in todays NFL. His body...much like today's RB...would simply not hold up. The same goes for WR. In Garrets offense....the WR never caught the ball in space. The WR always had CBs draped all over them. It worked in the 90s because of Troy Aikmans accuracy....but the windows the QB has to fit the ball in Garrets offense makes it tough on the entire offense. As a WR....you were tackled immediately and violently as soon as you catch the ball because Garrett did not SCHEME you open. You could not run after catch and decide how you would you would be tackled. From the OL, to the RB to the WRs....it was about being the most physical. Be more physical than the man in front of you and that was our recipe for success. Not sure what they did all week in practice and why the watched so much film...because everyone said Dallas was the easiest team to defend...because it was what you see is what you get. Garrett was and never has been a X or O guy. There are lots of other reasons as well...but I will leave it at this for now

Which brings us back to Zeke. He is physically beat up...our OL is physically beat up....we have ONE man standing from Garrets grand vision for the OL....Zach Martin. Dez was/is physically beat up. THIS is why you hear people say Garrett wasted the career of a lot of great players. He PHYSICALLY had them BEAT up. Zeke and his agent saw this knew this and made sure they protected themselves from Garrett and his street fight approach. If you spend a top 4 pick on a RB....you need to make sure he is special and get 6 GREAT years out of that RB. Zeke WAS special. But we relied on him WAY too much. Jerry and Jason saw him as a player that must get 500 touches a season to justify the investment. That is absolutely the DUMBEST approach based on what I mentioned about the physical punishment you endure against the modern day defensive player. The way McCarthy is using Pollard/Zeke is how it should have been done from day 1. You do not have to hand it Zeke 27 times a game....throw it to him 5 - 7 times a game...use him in all short yardage situations, all goal line situations and have pick up the blitz the rest of the game....the body can only take so much. Why are the COACHES even there if it is the Zeke show all day and all night? Why are the other PLAYERS getting a paycheck if it is the Zeke show all day and all night?

So in hindsight the Zeke deal looks bad...but it is not his fault in my opinion.
Good post

Cmac

Reaction score
I'm blaming Zeke for gifts I don't get on Friday, for the bad weather, for the day my coffee is cold, for the day my toe is stubbed, for 45's loss, for the recount of votes, for the delay on a stimulus check, for my failure to tell my boss that I shouldn't get my raise, for the ticket I got when the light was yellow, for the reason my neighbors weeds have drifted into my lawn, for the mailman for delivery my mail to the wrong address...….now can we make Zeke the RB coach since he is done on the field?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't lump Lawrence in with those two. His contract isn't ideal but he's playing much better than those two.
Yep, I have made it a point to watch him and he's been all out.

However, I never blame the player for the contract. They're just doing what any of us would do except the Mother Teresa's here that would take less money so others could have more.

The Elliott deal is a little different in that broke new ground with a player holding out with 2 years left once the option year was initiated. It was a bad deal that has gotten worse.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep, I have made it a point to watch him and he's been all out.

However, I never blame the player for the contract. They're just doing what any of us would do except the Mother Teresa's here that would take less money so others could have more.

The Elliott deal is a little different in that broke new ground with a player holding out with 2 years left once the option year was initiated. It was a bad deal that has gotten worse.
I didn't like the salary cap and I don't like the rookie contract. It's set up for players with shorter careers to get paid more than what most think is fair. Or, the play lights out getting paid peanuts. 3-4 years is the average. There should be an average based on draft position and then the extension can be whatever.

RamziD

Reaction score

Where’s the conflict here? He’s saying to cut him after the 2021 season not before.