News: Elliott's deal is becoming the NFL's worst

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It will be really something next year if the Cowboys don't have a QB because Jerry anchored his team to Elliott. Do people understand what a cluster-f the Cowboys CAP situation is because they committed excessive $$ to Zeke, Jaylon Smith and Demarcus Lawrence? They are so screwed.
Jerry listened to Troy, Michael and Emmitt. That's why he put ALL IN on Zeke, even though Zeke held out and missed Training Camp and still had 1 year left on his rookie contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've sat on the sideline long enough on this topic. I can no longer refrain from weighing in.

The Dallas Cowboys stayed in bed with Jason Garrett far too long....that more than anything is biggest problem with this team and the fallout will continue a couple of more years.

Why do I bring this up? To provide context on WHY Zeke is here. Jason Garrett's vision for a team he is the head coach of is to mirror the 90s Cowboys. Hence the investment in the OL, RB and Dez/Cooper etc. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in the OL is massive. The amount of draft capital and cap dollars invested in a RB is massive. The same can be said about Cooper when you consider we traded a 1st round pick and have paid him a lot of money.

Let us not forget that the idea was to control the clock with the running game and keep the defense off the field. To wear down teams over the course of the game and the course of a season. But the problem with this approach is the 90s approach cannot be duplicated for SEVERAL reasons.....but I will just mention a few. The 90s Cowboys running game was unique because no one else deployed 4 - 5 300lb OL...so we simply won the game before the game even started. Defenses did not see that in practice nor did they see that as the played their schedule against other NFL teams. They simply could not hold up to the physicality Dallas deployed. Not to mention the ALL TIME great that Larry Allen was. DL, LBers are bigger, faster, stronger today. The collisions are more violent. We will NEVER see another Emmit Smith again. That is not to say Emmit Smith was not great. He is one of my 3 favorite Cowboys....but Emmit would NEVER duplicate what he did in todays NFL. His body...much like today's RB...would simply not hold up. The same goes for WR. In Garrets offense....the WR never caught the ball in space. The WR always had CBs draped all over them. It worked in the 90s because of Troy Aikmans accuracy....but the windows the QB has to fit the ball in Garrets offense makes it tough on the entire offense. As a WR....you were tackled immediately and violently as soon as you catch the ball because Garrett did not SCHEME you open. You could not run after catch and decide how you would you would be tackled. From the OL, to the RB to the WRs....it was about being the most physical. Be more physical than the man in front of you and that was our recipe for success. Not sure what they did all week in practice and why the watched so much film...because everyone said Dallas was the easiest team to defend...because it was what you see is what you get. Garrett was and never has been a X or O guy. There are lots of other reasons as well...but I will leave it at this for now

Which brings us back to Zeke. He is physically beat up...our OL is physically beat up....we have ONE man standing from Garrets grand vision for the OL....Zach Martin. Dez was/is physically beat up. THIS is why you hear people say Garrett wasted the career of a lot of great players. He PHYSICALLY had them BEAT up. Zeke and his agent saw this knew this and made sure they protected themselves from Garrett and his street fight approach. If you spend a top 4 pick on a RB....you need to make sure he is special and get 6 GREAT years out of that RB. Zeke WAS special. But we relied on him WAY too much. Jerry and Jason saw him as a player that must get 500 touches a season to justify the investment. That is absolutely the DUMBEST approach based on what I mentioned about the physical punishment you endure against the modern day defensive player. The way McCarthy is using Pollard/Zeke is how it should have been done from day 1. You do not have to hand it Zeke 27 times a game....throw it to him 5 - 7 times a game...use him in all short yardage situations, all goal line situations and have pick up the blitz the rest of the game....the body can only take so much. Why are the COACHES even there if it is the Zeke show all day and all night? Why are the other PLAYERS getting a paycheck if it is the Zeke show all day and all night?

So in hindsight the Zeke deal looks bad...but it is not his fault in my opinion.
100% agree...

...but you forgot 1 key player. The most important player in today's NFL...

...THE QB.

All of the other teams have signed and protected their stud QBs FIRST. Not Jerry. Jerry has done the opposite, and now it is biting him in the behind while affecting the team. Jerry should have signed Dak 2 years ago when Dak still had his old agent who was willing to work with Jerry and the Cowboys. Dak has only gotten better, but now the ship is rudderless without its star QB signed and secured. I'm hoping Dak's injury will allow Jerry and Dak to come to an agreeable contract for both parties. If not, it's going to take at least 2-3 years for a rookie drafted QB to get up to speed to the NFL game. By then, most of today's team talent will be long gone or on the downside of their careers.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Baghdad Bob (Stephen) will be back tomorrow telling us how team-friendly the deal really was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And how many Zoners were ALL over Jerry to sign Elliott when he was holding out? I could pull up the archives now a few pages & expose them all. Jerry's fault?! Easy to say now that Elliott didn't work out isn't it!
rolleye0014.gif
Exactly. The Zeke discussion is so annoying here...you have one group who never liked him and are claiming he was bad prior to this year....you have another group who's having revisionist history on him and were the main one saying we should've signed him lol.....now its "the worst contract in sports".....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We've already been over this a billion times. We can't.

Only way is a trade and who would take on that deal? The Jets stupid enough to do that?
I guess people saw they did it with Leveon Bell but I don't know why people think they'd make that mistake again. Zeke ain't going nowhere......no time soon anyway.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Guys just wasn’t worth the pick or the follow up blockbuster deal. Jerry pins this team down with these players who just don’t matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Guys just wasn’t worth the pick or the follow up blockbuster deal. Jerry pins this team down with these players who just don’t matter.
That's a bit revisionist. Zeke meant a lot to this team those first couple of years. You guys are saying this now but 3 years ago you guys claimed we sucked because Zeke was suspended lol.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And this is a nice try but no one can tell me Carson Wentz has a better contract than Zeke.

Not sure about the wording here but yeah.. $105 million for a backup QB is easily the worst contract not just in football but maybe in all of sports.. Zeke is at least a starting caliber RB who with a somewhat normal offseason and a year past Covid is likely to return to the ranks of the top 5-10 in the game. Wentz need to visit a sports shrink. Dude has a serious case of the yips..

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The contract was designed to be able to cut bait with Zeke if he is no longer performing well after its 3rd season. So we are going to be stuck with Zeke through the 2021 season.

Yeah, one more year and hopefully Zeke will no longer be a Cowboy.
No more expensive RB contracts.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Not sure about the wording here but yeah.. $105 million for a backup QB is easily the worst contract not just in football but maybe in all of sports.. Zeke is at least a starting caliber RB who with a somewhat normal offseason and a year past Covid is likely to return to the ranks of the top 5-10 in the game. Wentz need to visit a sports shrink. Dude has a serious case of the yips..

Zeke should see a shrink for his fumbles and possible severe drug addiction. Dude was low key fading when he had covid.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The title of the thread says Zeke is becoming the NFL's worst contract......so that would imply that Carson Wentz has a better contract than him. I'm saying that's not possible.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The title of the thread says Zeke is becoming the NFL's worst contract......so that would imply that Carson Wentz has a better contract than him. I'm saying that's not possible.

Yeah thanks.. I thought that was what you meant but wasn't sure.. Thanks for clarifying..