Ellis and Parcells in shouting match?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I hope I heard it correctly because my reception was going bad on me (must have been driving though a low spot), but Newy Scruggs was saying about 15 minutes ago that Ellis went into Parcells' office to basically do a Hutch-like question about his role as a 3-4 player, and the two really got into it... Scruggs said Parcells tried to yell and intimidate Greg, but Greg didn't back down and started yelling back.

If anyone heard that and I am misreporting, please correct me -- I actually hope I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not because when I had better reception they were still talking about Ellis fitting in and how he'd interact with Parcells when camp starts.

We'd heard Ellis wasn't happy, but I didn't know it was that bad. I hope Nors isn't right and Ellis is a potential goner. :eek:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I hope I heard it correctly because my reception was going bad on me (must have been driving though a low spot), but Newy Scruggs was saying about 15 minutes ago that Ellis went into Parcells' office to basically do a Hutch-like question about his role as a 3-4 player, and the two really got into it... Scruggs said Parcells tried to yell and intimidate Greg, but Greg didn't back down and started yelling back.

If anyone heard that and I am misreporting, please correct me -- I actually hope I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not because when I had better reception they were still talking about Ellis fitting in and how he'd interact with Parcells when camp starts.

We'd heard Ellis wasn't happy, but I didn't know it was that bad. I hope Nors isn't right and Ellis is a potential goner. :eek:

doesnt sound like Greg Ellis at all to me...he has never acted this way here

David

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

If Parcells cut every guy he has gotten into shouting matches with he would never have a team to coach.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Ellis is one of the class acts of the team (league). If Parcells is trying to punk players like him them maybe he's the one who needs to go.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Of course NORS is right.....Just ask him...... :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
doesnt sound like Greg Ellis at all to me...he has never acted this way here

David

To me, this is not hard to understand at all.

If I'm Greg Ellis, I'm probably trying to figure out whats going on as well. If you view it from his perspective, I think it makes sense.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
damn, damn, damn!!!

With Canty coming back...TECHNICALLY Ellis is expendable...

I hate to say this... but Javon Walker anyone...

Eddie

Reaction score
How does a private shouting match in BP's office get reported???

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Keyshawn has said he and Parcells have yelled at each other before. I doubt this is any big deal.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Keyshawn has said he and Parcells have yelled at each other before. I doubt this is any big deal.

Well with Keyshawn I would agree.

Ellis just does not seem the type of guy to do something like this unless he is really angry.

Not that I know him personally as I am sure many do not, but still from a fans take he just does not seem the type to do something like this...if he did indeed do this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:

I agree. The best ones where the yelling matches between Parcells and Simms on the sidelines which seem to take place fairly often. I think these kinds of things tend to get blown out of proportion. Now if Ellis starts pouting on the sidelines or distances himself from the team then there could be a problem but a yelling match with Parcells give me a break it is a common occurrence with Big Bill

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
If Parcells cut every guy he has gotten into shouting matches with he would never have a team to coach.
That absolutely could be true... Maybe this happens all the time and we don't hear about it. But we definitely heard about it with Hutchinson, and as far as I know that was a much calmer "discussion".

And to answer David's question, I think that was kind of Newy's point: That Ellis is a total standup guy and professional, and isn't any kind of troublemaker at all. So he must have been pretty upset to do that.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
If true, this is a huge disappointment. Both men should know better: Ellis, because he's witnessed (courtesy of Hutch) how Parcells reacts to this sort of thing; and Parcells, because he risks losing the respect of his players by trying to intimidate one of the team's most respected members. And lest the Parcells acolytes feel the need to defend their high priest, let me be clear that I'm not questioning his coaching ability -- only his judgement (if this is true) in further alienating a valuable member of the squad, when a few reassuring words might have sufficed to smooth things over.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I really don't understand the problem here.... Coaches and players get into yelling matches all the time during practices and such. This isn't anything new. So what if Greg is a nice guy nice guys can lose their cool just as well. I think people are reading tooooo much into it IMO

This will only get as big as the FANS make it. Don't make a stink out of it and the team won't but if the team has too visit this subject from now to TC then their focus will be in the wrong place, and tempers that much shorter wondering if there is more to this than normall thought.

So IMO let it go don't dwell on it and see what happens.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
That absolutely could be true... Maybe this happens all the time and we don't hear about it. But we definitely heard about it with Hutchinson, and as far as I know that was a much calmer "discussion".

And to answer David's question, I think that was kind of Newy's point: That Ellis is a total standup guy and professional, and isn't any kind of troublemaker at all. So he must have been pretty upset to do that.

I just think fans take this stuff more personal than Parcells does, he is a pretty high strung guy to begin with and he has a tendency to push player’s button, Ellis did not back down so what. It all will boil down to performance on the field if Ellis goes out and does his job then there is no problem but again if he starts pouting about it and distances himself from the team then yeah there will be a problem

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I just think fans take this stuff more personal than Parcells does, he is a pretty high strung guy to begin with and he has a tendency to push player’s button, Ellis did not back down so what. It all will boil down to performance on the field if Ellis goes out and does his job then there is no problem but again if he starts pouting about it and distances himself from the team then yeah there will be a problem

I hope you're right. But I have my doubts. Players that cross Parcells seem to have a shorter shelf life than Smarties at a fat chick convention.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
I hope you're right. But I have my doubts. Players that cross Parcells seem to have a shorter shelf life than Smarties at a fat chick convention.

It is football not an office environment and as I said I have watched Parcells get into with many of his former players and it amounted into nothing. Guys like Bryant hurt themselves by sitting on the sideline pouting and if you’re that weak mentally then you’re not going to play for Parcells but guys like Phil Simms would get into major arguments in front of the TV camera on the side line during a game and nothing ever came of it.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Sorry Ellis, Parcells isn't going to change his scheme just to make you happy. So, what really do you hope to gain with this? If you aren't happy with the change, ask the team to try to trade you and say you in the meantime will play and practice your but off. That is what a professional would do.
That said, I heard the Goodfellas talking on 103.3 and they were talking about Ellis and that he is not happy with the change in defense and he is making noise about it.

DakAttack

Roy Williams
Reaction score
I heard the samething coming into work this morning.

Newy kicked off todays show by bringing up Ellis. He did say that Ellis and Parcells had a very heated confrotation in his office about Ellis's displeasure of the change on defense to the 3/4.

He said that Parcells was trying to intimidate Ellis and that Ellis would not back down. Scruggs also said that there where plenty of f-bombs thrown around. And near the end Ellis told Parcells that he thought he needed to be traded. Then he said Parcells threatned Ellis that most of his signing bonus would have to taken back from the team if that happened. Scruggs said that once Ellis stood up to leave Parcells quickly tried to defuse the confrontation with Ellis.

Scruggs made if seem that Ellis thought the move to the 3/4 made him expendable and that he wouldn't be effective playing the 3/4 scheme. Scruggs said that Ellis has been toting the company line all summer, but he's very unhappy the way he's going to be used.

It sounds like the **** hit the fan yesterday at the Ranch.